Does diversifying to non-horology business diminishes a watch brand 'prestige'?
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Does diversifying to non-horology business diminishes a watch brand 'prestige'?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Does diversifying to non-horology business diminishes a watch brand 'prestige'?

What if Patek Philippe diversify heavily into the jewelry business? To the extent where they start to promote Patek Philippe rings and bracelet?
    Or Perhaps AP started manufacturing men's clothing?
    JLC manufacturing car tyres and motor oil?

All to the extent that they all start opening dedicated stores to sell their non-horology products, and the general public starting to recognize these companies due to their non-horology products.

Will they then fall into the same category of Cartier, Chopard or even Mont Blanc, who produce some fine watches and design but doesn't appeal too much ue to the "It's not a watch company because they're selling other products which they can't focus on developing watches".
    Eleuthera likes this.

Re: Does diversifying to non-horology business diminishes a watch brand 'prestige'?

Everyone has an opinion and I'm not sure how can say one is better than the other, but I think I prefer a watch companies sticking to watches.

Re: Does diversifying to non-horology business diminishes a watch brand 'prestige'?

No. But it's realistically a non-starter because some of these brands are already part of conglomerates that have high jewelry arms. Richemont and LVMH. Practically all the old maisons have sold their branded cufflinks and high-end pens.
    Cartier and Chopard are very prestigious watch brands and their jewelry reputation enhances their watches. Probably not all folks on WUS care for them but the general public knows about Cartier and Chopard as prestigious luxury brands. They are also known in the industry for their haute horlogie so they have pedigree. Montblanc is a relatively new kid on the block in watchmaking.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

There's no issue with Omega and Breguet having pens or jewelry lines but there is a problem of seriousness in horology for Montblanc. They did remedy this by buying Minerva and having the JLC guy runs the show. That was the perfect solution.

If the watch is good that's all that counts for me. I couldn't care less what else a firm makes.

I've always thought of Chopard as a jewelry brand that ventured into watchmaking, same for Bulgari. Cartier is 50/50 and Montblanc will always be a pen company to me.
    Last edited by obomomomo; September 25th, 2015 at 19:13.
    Bulova> 96B251. Casio> 5600E. Damasko> DS30. GrandSeiko> SBGH205. Rolex> 114060, 16710. Seiko> SARB017, SARB033, SBDX017, SLA017.

Or what about when the opposite happens and an equipment manufacturer buys a watch company?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dunno, don't care a lot about that kind of detail. I buy what I like from whoever makes 'em, doesn't matter much more than that . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

I kind of knew that Seiko does some stuff other than watches, but found out yesterday that they make glasses too: Home - SEIKO Eyewear It'd be so cool if someday I get Seiko glasses with which to look at my Seiko watches!
    chuasam likes this.

If Rolex tried to milk their name by introducing quartz watches for half the price, yes, their brand will get tarnished in the long run. One brand is currently doing this for a specific model. *cough cough*

You can already see the Swiss raising the limit to 60% for watches to be called 'Swiss Made'.
    Last edited by watchRus; September 25th, 2015 at 20:48.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information