Does It Exist?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Does It Exist?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Does It Exist?

Hi all, new to WUS.

Not sure where I should post this so moderators please re-locate if it is in the wrong forum.

I have used the search feature and didn't find the information I was looking for. A brief back ground;

My wife and I were out Christmas shopping and we started talking about what we would get each other for our combined 25th wedding anniversaries and 50th birthdays. She has beautiful petite wrists and I have purchased watches for her in the past at christmas but they have always been too big. We were passing a jeweler and we decided to see what they had for watches. Long story short, we looked at an Omega Deville Prestige for her and an IWC Spitfire for me. The Omega looked fantastic on her and the IWC looked and felt good on me. These watches aren't cheap and were still a little more than a year away from our anniversary/Bdays so thought I should do some research and I found myself here. Now I am wondering if I even want a high end watch at all. lol

So, I have researched IWC, Dornbleuth and Sohn, and Rolex. I'm looking for a good watch that will out live me, that can be handed down to my son. An heirloom if you will. I am a rough outdoorsy guy that has some pretty rough hobbies and the last thing I want to be worrying about is breaking my watch or having to take it off before I pick up that hammer or chainsaw. Careful I'm not and the wife is going kill me if I mess up a spendy watch. I am hoping that someone on here can help point me in the right direction. Could be I'm destined for a Timex or a Citizen and I'd be fine with that too but I would like to find a quality watch that my son and eventually his son, can some day appreciate.

I work dam hard to make my money and I sure as hell don't want to throw it away on a fancy watch that can't stand up to my lifestyle. I don't mind spending the money but I want the watch to last. I want my son to be able to look at the thing when I'm gone and remember some of the great hunting trips and ATV adventures we had because it reminds him of me and in some form through it, I'm still with him. It may be beat up like his old man but it's still purring away. Were very close and he has always been a great kid and is now turning into a wonderful young man.

Does such a watch exist?

I'm not a collector. I could care less if the watch will appreciate or depreciate. Maybe I don't belong on this site, but I am looking for advice and I think I have come to the right place. So if any of you can steer me in the right direction, whether it be a watch, or maybe I need to look at something else to leave him, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you.

Rich

PS. I guess I could take it off before I fire up the chainsaw.

Last edited by DE44; December 16th, 2011 at 10:18.

Re: Does It Exist?

If you want the best of the best, go with an A Lange Sohne. But if you plan on being pretty rough on it, I would strongly consider a Rolex.

I'm not a fan of Patek personally, but they're celebrated for their heirloom quality.

Personally, in your situation, I'd get a Grand Seiko. The GSes of the 60s are still running well today, and the movements in the new ones are some of the best in the world.

The IWC Portugese Automatic is a lovely watch too.

Anything by JLC is probably going to be a good call. They have a good reputation for toughness, despite being a very "fine" watchmaker.

Get an Omega Speedmaster or a Rolex Submariner.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Personally I would consider a Seiko. The value of the watch is intrinsic more than anything. If it were any more than that then a person might sell it for the monetary value. That's just something to consider. I am proud to have my grandfather's Timex which he had kept in the back of a drawer since he was a young man. My grandmother gave it to me because she knew I liked watches.
    ShockMister

Welcome to WUS! Surely you do belong here as you've already spent more time thinking about watches in your recent past as most normal folks do in a lifetime. If you want that one watch, never to leave your wrist regardless of activity, get a Speedmaster (wouldn't swim with that one however) or Rolex Sub/Sea Dweller. They are as bulletproof as mechanical watches can be, and given production numbers, parts, and finding someone to work on them will never be an issue. The designs are classic, ensuring that your son will proudly be wearing your watch fifty years down the road. If it were me, I'd also buy a G-Shock for the really rough stuff. Good hunting!
    Seiko Marinemaster SBDX001
    My Father's Hamilton Khaki Automatic

My Grandfather's Movado Sub Sea Automatic

"That's what character is-It's in the tryin'" Eric Taylor.

If your looking for a higher end watch that you want to pass down as an heirloom, and put up with your outdoorsy lifestyle and rough hobbies, just go with the Rolex, my friend. You have an iconic brand, known by all that denotes a status, that would be a great heirloom to pass down someday. Plus it's a top quality watch, and made for the type of abuse that your going to put it through. Even though you don't care about the appreciation/depreciation aspect, they are probably the tops at holding value. With all of the lesser known and exotic brands out there, sometimes the best fit is something that is right in front of your face. Take a look at the Submariner and Explorer models in particular.

Rolex Submariner, GMT, Explorer, Milgauss, Sea Dweller, Omega Seamaster, Seamaster GMT, Planet Ocean. Basically mainstream up market sport watches which are sold in large quantities, from makers who are likely to still be in business in 50 years, and have a history of supporting their product for many decades after they are no longer produced. Higher end watches like the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, or Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Diver probably are also good choices, but if you're not a collector, the price premium for these watches is probably not going to make any sense to/for you. Something special which might be of interest is the Omega Planet Ocean Liquid Metal. It is a limited edition, and the ruggedness of the liquid metal bezel maybe of real value to you. "Liquid metal" is a direction Omega will likely extend into its line of watches, which means that a Planet Ocean Liquid Metal, may ultimately become very collectible.

I would avoid chronographs. They are generally less water resistant and rugged than less complicated watches and servicing costs are significantly higher.

While there are other watches which may be rugged enough to survive your use, they are not generally supported well enough with cosmetic parts to be readily restorable in 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray916MN View Post
    Rolex Submariner, GMT, Explorer, Milgauss, Sea Dweller, Omega Seamaster, Seamaster GMT, Planet Ocean. .......................
    Absolutely, any of those that strike your fancy should fit the bill. Have a Seamaster Pro that's done everything you've mentioned & some you haven't...............still looks & runs just fine. Just compared it to new @ the Omega botique - my second hand tip is no longer red that's about it (other style changes Omega has done in the last 10 years).

It's important to understand that no matter how thick the case a mechanical movement is encased in the movement itself remains vulnerable to damage from significant shocks. The most vulnerable part is the escapement (balance wheel, etc.). Yes the escapement is protected somewhat by shock absorbing jewels, but those jewels can do only so much and a serious shock such as being banged into a tree or rock could result in an expensive trip to the repair shop. An even more sigificant consideration is the exterior. The stainless steel and/or gold case will be damaged by a rugged outdoor style no matter the price of that watch. Other objects such as rocks, axes, climbing gear, stakes, etc., can damage metal surfaces such as those found on a watch.

If I was spending that kind of money on a watch I would buy one that I really like and wear it everywhere except on outdoors excursions like the ones you enjoy. For those trips a digital quartz watch with a built in compass, barometer and thermometer would be far more likely to survive and would also provide potentially useful information. And if it died in a collision with a rock face the replacement cost would be far more reasonable.

Really expensive mechanical watches are not intended for rugged use, fanciful advertising and the desk dreams of their owners notwithstanding. Unless you are among the fortunate few and have the income to be able to count watches priced north of $5k as disposables.
    Last edited by John MS; December 16th, 2011 at 17:34.

Some watches, like Sinn, come in tegimented steel. I don't know what that means, but it's supposed to be excellent at resisting something.

Now, when I read about the watches you looked at (great choice in the Spitfire, by the way, my favorite IWC and perhaps the only one I really like) and then your toughness requirements, the first name that popped into my head was Bremont. My choice would be the Alt1-C cream dial, the Alt1-C/CR:

(borrowed image)
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information