Does "made in japan" inspire good quality to you?

Poll: Does it mean quality to you?

Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Does "made in japan" inspire good quality to you?

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Does "made in japan" inspire good quality to you?

As my collection is growing to more recognized brands (or at least my savings will go to) I can't help but look at all things German and Swiss. I mean I love the Grand-Seiko Snowflake (who doesn't) but it's not on the top of my to-buy list. When I picked up my Tudor Oyster, it just feels and looks so much better than any seiko in that price range. Granted the seikos are dive oriented, and my Tudor is more casual but the detailing was there on my Tudor.
    Hodinkee put out an amazing article with great detail over the Credor of Seiko, but it just seemed like a glorified seiko 5 and a premium no one will pay for a japanese watch. Is there something to the watches from the Orient I'm missing?

Re: Does "made in japan" inspire good quality to you?

Personally I like anything that is made in Japan including watches,however I haven't seen any GS that I like

I have SBDX011 and SBDC021 and satisfied with both

Personally I'm keeping my mind opened so I don't miss out on a good watch with great VFM

Something made in Japan has a higher chance of being of higher quality. It doesn't magically make everything created in Japan high quality.
    chuasam, UKMike, kf3506 and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There is nothing wrong with Japanese watches, some of my best friends wear them.
    dbakiva, Donf, pirate1110 and 2 others like this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Quote Originally Posted by imlying View Post
    As my collection is growing to more recognized brands (or at least my savings will go to) I can't help but look at all things German and Swiss. I mean I love the Grand-Seiko Snowflake (who doesn't) but it's not on the top of my to-buy list. When I picked up my Tudor Oyster, it just feels and looks so much better than any seiko in that price range. Granted the seikos are dive oriented, and my Tudor is more casual but the detailing was there on my Tudor.
    Hodinkee put out an amazing article with great detail over the Credor of Seiko, but it just seemed like a glorified seiko 5 and a premium no one will pay for a japanese watch. Is there something to the watches from the Orient I'm missing?
    Choosing a watch is subjective, be it cosmetic or it's technical aspects choice is still subjective.

If you handed a blind man a Seiko Monster on a bracelet and your Tudor I'll bet he chooses the Seiko Monster as the finer made watch!
    Ajax_Drakos likes this.
    "Some day I'm going to buy a real wristwatch"

"When I only had one watch I always knew what time it was, but now I'm no longer sure"

Many Moons ago "made in Japan" on something meant it was inferior, very inferior but this hasn't been true for a long ltime. Now it's a byword for good quality.
    MLJinAK and ipswitch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by imlying View Post
    The Made in Japan brand by itself does nothing for me. In combination with the name of a reputable company like Seiko, Citizen, Orient, Casio then yes.

I don't know what watch you mean by the Tudor Oyster, so I can't say what price range you're comparing.

The Snowflake is a nice watch (I like mine), but Grand Seiko has a huge number of killer models, especially including the recent 43999, 45GS, 62GS homages/re-releases - and the Hi Beat GMTs.

At lower price points, Seiko also has a number of great offerings:

SDGZ013:
    Name:  985368d1418308477-panda-2-0-seiko-sdgz013-mechanischer-chronograph-referenz-8r48-00c0-141210-sei.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  222.7 KB

SARX029:
    Name:  S-SARX029_b_1024x1024.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  187.6 KB

SBDC027:
    Name:  51LP81jPuFL.jpg
Views: 1358
Size:  42.0 KB

As for the Credor Eichi II being a 'glorified Seiko 5 at a premium no one will pay for,' it's the best-finished watch in the world for the price, and many see value there.
    They are selling them as fast as they make them. Statement stinks of troll.

I started writing a response but thought better of it. I'll just link to the Hodinkee article: Hands-On: A Critical Comparison Of The Seiko Eichi II, Laurent Ferrier Galet Micro-Rotor, And Philippe Dufour Simplicity — HODINKEE
    rfortson, Ajax_Drakos and Howi like this.
    "Never go to sea with two chronometers; take one or three." - Fred Brooks
    My feedback

I think the moniker 'Made In Japan" indicates excellent technology and workmanship at a reasonable price. But there is something there which I cannot elucidate - the feeling that a Grand Seiko is just just a Seiko, A Lexus still a Toyota, and so on. I guess that their making high quality high priced merchandise from what at one time were considered 'bargain' brands has placed an obstacle in the way in a manner the western manufacturers seem to have instinctively sidestepped. This is undoubtedly a case of western viewpoint versus eastern viewpoint.
    chefmhf likes this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information