WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Does Quartz watch exist in 1960s?

4K views 24 replies 23 participants last post by  lvt 
#1 ·
I was watching this tv show 11.22.63 about a time traveler who went to the past to investigate the murder of JFK, there was a scene where one of the character looked at his watch and it says quartz, is that accurate though? Watch Analog watch Black Violet Watch accessory

See less See more
#4 ·
No. Quote from Wikipedia:

"In the late 1950s and early 1960s, both Seiko and a consortium of Switzerland's top firms competed to develop the first quartz wristwatch. One of the first successes was a portable quartz clock called the Seiko Crystal Chronometer QC-951. This portable clock was used as a backup timer for marathon events in the 1964 Summer Olympics in Tokyo. In 1966 prototypes of the world's first quartz pocketwatch were unveiled by Seiko and Longines in the Neuchâtel Observatory's 1966 competition.[6]

On 25 December 1969, Seiko unveiled the quartz Astron, the world's first quartz watch.[6][7] The first Swiss quartz analog watch-the Ebauches SA Beta 21 containing the Beta 1 movement-arrived at the 1970 Basel Fair.[6][8] The Beta 21 was released by numerous manufacturers including the Omega Electroquartz."

#9 ·
To be fair, when I'm watching a show, I'm okay if they skimped on issues like this and spent more time on making a good show. I studied and still love paleontology, but I still enjoyed Jurassic Park despite the fact that the velociraptors are multiple times larger than they are supposed to be (and featherless) or the dilophosaurus isn't supposed to have a frill or spit poison (and was smaller in the movie than they are supposed to be), etc, etc.

It'd be funny if the next character said, "what are you talking about, it's a dead beat." And then extend it with a reply, "but I pay my child support." :-d

#7 ·
Ouch. The writers missed that one. The sad part is Accutrons went on sale in 1960 and would have been in fashion, not to mention accurate to within a second per day.

Was watching an episode of Warehouse 13 where the main character's Breitling got a close-up for one scene. On freeze-frame it was an obvious fake and while he was supposed to be using it to time something, it was one of those replica specials where the subdials are actually a calendar.

Another case of not bothering to do any research before writing something.

#13 ·
I watched that show (11/22/63 is the title), and liked it so much I bought the book. Both are great. The book was by Stephen King, and shows how he can write genres besides horror.

The show had a couple of goofs, including the watch. Another one was when the time traveler went to Dallas and men were wearing their cowboy hats INSIDE, which would have been seen as rude in the extreme at that time.

#18 ·
Reactions: lvt
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.