Does titanium always scratch easily compared to steel - talk me out of PAM351
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Does titanium always scratch easily compared to steel - talk me out of PAM351

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does titanium always scratch easily compared to steel - talk me out of PAM351

Rookie here! Should I choose PAM 320 over 351 exclusively because I am nervous about scratches and wear? I like them both equally much I think, but with an active lifestyle I fear for the titanium scratching easily. I've heard many people say 'you know how titanium wears...'
    Please help. Any advice is appreciated. Looking to buy a PAM for daily wrist time.
    Last edited by rocketbrother; January 11th, 2014 at 03:33.

Re: Does titanium always scratch easily compared to steel - talk me out of PAM351

Depends on the grade of titanium.

Grade 2 (commercially pure) is pure titanium and softer than steel hence scratches easier. It is no longer common for cases in higher end watches.

Grade 5 is an alloy and is harder and more scratch resistant than steel. It is also easy to finish and can be polished. It is now found in better watches.

Re: Does titanium always scratch easily compared to steel - talk me out of PAM351

Titanium is softer, and thus it will scratch easier than steel. From personal experience with titanium watches, it's not something to worry about. Untreated titanium slowly reacts with the atmosphere, making scratches less noticeable than on relatively unreactive stainless steel. However, Titaniuim is sometimes surface hardened with nitrogen which gives a very thin but ultra-hard coating that will resist most scratches. I own one titanium watch with surface treatment, and my brother owns one without, and both look quite unscathed.
    akasnowmaaan likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Titanium is softer than steel.

Sent from low earth orbit using a shamwow

I like watches.

As has been stated, it depends on the grade of titanium. My titanium watch has held up better than my stainless IMHO
    Do something exceptionally mediocre today

I think its to do with grade too. I have a titanium Citizen which is 11 years old. However it has very few scratches and my other steel watches which are newer have had more..and the citizen is my daily beater. Also the dull colour of titanium makes it difficult to see scratches easily.

A friend of mine has a 351. It is an amazing watch but scratches very easy. The thing about ti is you can buff it out with a scotch brite pad a few times per year.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Tapatalk

Definitely more durable as it oxidises and 'hides' the scratches.

I have bumped my Pelagos against a sharp steel edge... something that would've left a mark on a regular SS watch. The Pelagos shrugged it off (it even had paint on it!) and after one wipe with my hand, looked as if it never happened.
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50 | Omega Speedmaster 60th 'CK2915' | Omega Speedmaster MkII 145.014 | Panerai Luminor 1950 PAM392 | Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15400 | Rolex Cosmograph Daytona 116520 | Rolex Sea-Dweller 'SD4K' 116600 | Rolex Submariner 'Hulk' 116610LV | Rolex GMT Master II 'Pepsi' 126710BLRO

Personally I'd go 351 because it has SS bezel,and lighter than SS case (still tipping the scale at 150+ grams though..)

The thing with all Pam..they're scratch magnet because of their size...just enjoy wearing it and you'll be fine

I love the sound and idea of titanium. So much sexier than steel. But honestly I hardly wear my titanium watch. There's just something about the lack of mass that bothers me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information