Does twisting an automatic fast damage it ? (for charging)
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Does twisting an automatic fast damage it ? (for charging)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does twisting an automatic fast damage it ? (for charging)

I've read some topics where people describe rotating their watches quickly to charge it, it seems it takes less than 4-5 minutes for a full charge.

Surely that must damage something though, right? I'm thinking the mechanism is not design to take the stress of the extra G's involved in rotating it like that.

Re: Does twisting an automatic fast damage it ? (for charging)

Normal movement on your wrist is enough to wind an automatic and some can be hand wound. Just rotate the watch gently if you can't handwind, then put it on. No need to shake the bejabbers out of it.
    Janne likes this.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Banned

Just imagine the load on the rotor axle/bearing due to the excessive G-forces...

I treat my watches gently.
    lvt likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    Just imagine the load on the rotor axle/bearing due to the excessive G-forces...

I treat my watches gently.
    +1

Especially high-end watches with heavy gold rotor to increase winding efficiency.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

The obvious answer is that it does to some extent. The only question is that if this wear and tear is a significant quantifiable amount. If done in excess, yes. I would think. However, if you do this just every once in a while, most likely you will never experience the difference. The issue that comes into place with automatics is that several Japanese movements cannot be wound by hand. In this case, it may be necessary if for some strange reason you absolutely have to charge your watch this way. That will probably be OKAY, but it should not be a regular pattern. If you are concerned about your watch going dead, then perhaps you should wear it more often to prevent it from losing its wind. I know I occasionally shake my Orient (not too violently) to get it started occasionally, that is because the watch loses a large amount of time when it is low on reserve. When it is on a full wind, it loses maybe .2 seconds a day. If you need too, shake it some, but not too violently. And most certainly, do not shake it so much that you slam it into a wall ;)

Okay ( sorry to high jack the thread a bit). I find myself occasionally ( a few times a day, maybe more subconsciously) flicking my wrist to spin the rotor, is this bad long term?
    Dagaz Modded Seiko SKX007 | Benarus Moray III | Magrette Moana Pacific Diver 2011 | Hexa K500 | Prometheus S80 | Seiko SNAD53

Boron ??? | | Gruen ??? | Timex ???

Greetings from Albuquerque!

I have a Stuhrling with a DG2813 movement I shook it too hard once spinning the rotor and the sweep hand fell off. I tried to re-attach it but could not so I just left it off. It looks better without it but I lose the hacking function. Haven't bought another stuhrling since.... great styles but questionable quality.
    Last edited by kramer5150; February 1st, 2012 at 07:40.

I would not do this....I was actually surprised that it even works to charge it like this, I thought there is some in-built protection protecting it from very fast rotation

Just rotate the watch gently if you can't handwind

lvt

The best way to shake-wind a watch is to take it off, hold it vertically in your hand and make slow circular gestures for a while and put it back to your wrist, incorrectly twisting an automatic doesn't help much.
    Janne likes this.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information