Does a watch with a story really matter?
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Does a watch with a story really matter?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Does a watch with a story really matter?

Hey again guys,

So if you remember my previous thread - I've been initially set on Panerai, and know I really want one (albeit which one I'm still unsure); however, the cheap moonphase thread got me looking into Christopher Ward's watches. I really know nothing about them, or if their price point reflects their quality. That said, one of their limited edition watches have a really awesome story. It is near the price point of the Panerai base, so I'm torn... I could just get the Moon Phase and Panerai... or have a watch with a bit of history? How important is the story to you guys?

The watch I'm talking about:

Name:  christopher-ward-C8-Al-Deere-TM-B-e1522944652442-768x528.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  74.5 KB

Name:  Ql4cC3NJP-Td.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  76.4 KB

It has metal from a fighter plane from one of the best pilots in WWII. He crashed when a rookie was following him and hit him mid air. They pulled the motor from the sea and repurposed it into the watches.

What are your thoughts?

Re: Does a watch with a story really matter?

Its your watch. If it matters to you, then it matters
    My collection changes so often I got tired of redoing my signature

Not, really, no - those kinds of stories don't work for me.

I can appreciate if a brand is run by a good or "cool" person, if it's being run in a very good way, and some of that goes into the watch designs or construction principles. E.G. Stowa, being bought from the original owners' son, and revived in an honest, genuine way. Or some of the microbrands we have here, that are setting themselves up for the long haul by doing the right things and building watches the right way.

But special editions with some components with some historical story, or similar opportunity-based links to histories not actually connected to the brand or their watches - that, I don't care about. Imo it's lazy.
    Undone Speedy
    San Martin "Radiomir"(Damascus, Bronze, Steel)
    + always on wrist: Fitbit Inspire HR

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It feels artificial to me, it's a new company so they are trying to buy their way into history... Yes, I like watches with some authentic history behind them, like the moonwatch, the Pogue, Seiko lineage of Divers and the like. In this case, CW didn't have anything to do with that pilot, so IMO it feels unearned that they are using him for marketing purposes.

The watch looks very nice BTW, so if you like it and the price is right for you, get it. But get it because the watch is worth it, not because of the "history" behind it.

A watch brand, not so much.
    An individual watch on the other hand.........

Stories that brands link to their watches are simply part of their marketing strategy--I ignore those completely. Stories about a particular watch such as one of mine--handed down to five different generations in our family--those stories mean a lot (to me).

And as for choosing the CW over a Panerai--only you can answer that--the CW does look nice, but for me, I put Panerai in another league, well above CW, so I personally would never take the CW over the Pam--but that's me--how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMilez View Post
    How important is the story to you guys?
    Pretty much all luxury purchases are emotionally driven - we buy them because they make us feel good (even though the reason why varies from person to person). Eg, I am in the dive industry - so for me, the history of Panerai and Blancpain resonate enough with me to own a watch from each of them. The history of the Speedmaster doesnt move the needle for me one bit, so I dont own one.

YMMV.

I will say this - if it comes down to a tradeoff between your heart and your head, go with your heart.
    Tommywine0 and rfortson like this.
    Core: ALS 1815 Up/Down, AP RO, Breguet Marine, Blancpain FF MilSpec, JLC Master Geo, GO Panomatic, Rolex BLRO, Panerai 688, Rolex Exp2 polar, Cartier Santos XL ADLC, Zenith El Primero tricolor, [Empty Slot]
    Secondary: Oris Brashear chrono, Oris 65/42 green, Oris 65/40mm, Oris 65 bronze, Rado Capt Cook LE, Seiko Prospex Padi, Doxa 1200T Pro
    Others
    :Tissot T-Touch Expert, Swatch S51, Seagull 1963, Sturmanskie Yuri Gagarin, Fortis Marine Master, G-Shock GMW-B500
    FS: Seiko Orange Monster Gen2, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard, Squale Milsub
    Gone: Tudor Chrono Heritage, Hamilton Khaki Field, B&R03-92, Seiko SKX007, Orient Sun&Moon, Seagull M172S, Rado Vintage Diver, Hamilton Pan Europ, Orient Mako, Meistersinger Pangaea, IWC Aquatimer, PAM 24, JR Aquascope, Tudor BB Black, Longines Legend Diver, PAM 241, Bernhardt Anchor3, WUS GMT watch, Damasko DB2, Helson Shark Diver, Seiko 5, Ventus Mori Brass, Glycine Airman, Eterna Kon-Tiki, Zelos Gallant, Sinn 103 A sa B, Oris 65/42 blue

Quote Originally Posted by X2-Elijah View Post
    Not, really, no - those kinds of stories don't work for me.

I can appreciate if a brand is run by a good or "cool" person, if it's being run in a very good way, and some of that goes into the watch designs or construction principles. E.G. Stowa, being bought from the original owners' son, and revived in an honest, genuine way. Or some of the microbrands we have here, that are setting themselves up for the long haul by doing the right things and building watches the right way.

But special editions with some components with some historical story, or similar opportunity-based links to histories not actually connected to the brand or their watches - that, I don't care about. Imo it's lazy.
    So the backstory DOES work on you - its just that you prefer a different narrative (which is fine, btw).
    Core: ALS 1815 Up/Down, AP RO, Breguet Marine, Blancpain FF MilSpec, JLC Master Geo, GO Panomatic, Rolex BLRO, Panerai 688, Rolex Exp2 polar, Cartier Santos XL ADLC, Zenith El Primero tricolor, [Empty Slot]
    Secondary: Oris Brashear chrono, Oris 65/42 green, Oris 65/40mm, Oris 65 bronze, Rado Capt Cook LE, Seiko Prospex Padi, Doxa 1200T Pro
    Others
    :Tissot T-Touch Expert, Swatch S51, Seagull 1963, Sturmanskie Yuri Gagarin, Fortis Marine Master, G-Shock GMW-B500
    FS: Seiko Orange Monster Gen2, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard, Squale Milsub
    Gone: Tudor Chrono Heritage, Hamilton Khaki Field, B&R03-92, Seiko SKX007, Orient Sun&Moon, Seagull M172S, Rado Vintage Diver, Hamilton Pan Europ, Orient Mako, Meistersinger Pangaea, IWC Aquatimer, PAM 24, JR Aquascope, Tudor BB Black, Longines Legend Diver, PAM 241, Bernhardt Anchor3, WUS GMT watch, Damasko DB2, Helson Shark Diver, Seiko 5, Ventus Mori Brass, Glycine Airman, Eterna Kon-Tiki, Zelos Gallant, Sinn 103 A sa B, Oris 65/42 blue

Quote Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
    So the backstory DOES work on you - its just that you prefer a different narrative (which is fine, btw).
    The backstory works for me, yes, IF it has a genuine relation to the brand and the way they make all their watches. I thought I made that well clear. No need to use boldtext as if you found some conflicts...
    Undone Speedy
    San Martin "Radiomir"(Damascus, Bronze, Steel)
    + always on wrist: Fitbit Inspire HR

No in that case, no. Boosting their brand with a twee marketing ploy.

Yet with other brands it does work well. The IWC Calypso for example. I think it worked for them as they already had the quality and and their watches were already well regarded.
    Last edited by Carl.1; March 26th, 2019 at 17:56.
    If I fail to reply to your inane post just assume you are on the ignore list.

I bought a knackered clock.... https://carlsclock.blogspot.com/ Updated 29/4/19

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information