Doing my first international deal, tips?

Thread: Doing my first international deal, tips?

Down where people say "How's it goin'" and wait for an answer.

Question Doing my first international deal, tips?

Hey guys,

So I've found the watch I want atthe price I want. Problem is, it's in Ireland. Having never done this before, what's the best carrier to the US (specifically rural Alabama), and what should I expect from customs?

Any other advice you can offer?

Thanks!

EDIT: SORRY MODS!
    Last edited by Bleh; August 25th, 2011 at 21:36.
    | HKED Bund| Casio Riseman |1940's Bulova Tank | Orient Black Mako | Helm Vanuatu v2 | 60's Benrus Auto |
    I got out of watches for a long time, but I'm coming back!

Banned

Re: Doing my first international deal, tips?

FedEx, DHL.

Rural Alabama. Cool.

I think the Top Gear boys showed Alabama a couple of years ago in one of the Challenges? They managed to escape unhurt.

Do you want insurance and the ability to track the shipment? If so tell the seller. Seller could use An Post which has international EMS. Otherwise use UPS, Fedex or one of the other commercial carriers. Delivery to a rural location in the US should not be any more of a challenge than delivering to a location in a large suburban area. In my experience there are minimal if any delays in US Customs. The duty if any will be minimal.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The seller quoted DHL, but I've heard bad things. Maybe that's just domestic though. I've asked for a quote to go FedEx since I've had good experiences with them.

And yes, the top gear boys did shoot through Alabama a few years back, and I hung my head in shame. While there are areas of Alabama around like that, it's by no means the majority. I landed my dream job (R&D Engineer doing acoustics/sonar) in a small town (Eufaula, AL) that's been here since the early 1800's. It's gorgeous and is filled with very nice people! Interestingly, they actually got word of the end of the Civil War via boat (it's a port town on the Chattahoochee River) faster than the union troops who were marching in to burn the town down, so they were able to meet them north of town and preserve the buildings and people. Most of the old part of town is pre-1850's.

I Certainly wouldn't drive through Mobile (it's pronounced MO-beal) or some of the other more deep-woods areas with "Hillary for President" or "NASCAR sucks" on my car thought. Even if NASCAR does suck. Which it does.
    | HKED Bund| Casio Riseman |1940's Bulova Tank | Orient Black Mako | Helm Vanuatu v2 | 60's Benrus Auto |

Hifrom Ireland.

When I ship international I offr the buyer an post which is ems and gives track and trace or courier (fedex, dhl, whatever they want).

Using an post/ems the max insurance is about 100 euros for delivery outside the EU or UK.. Cost to USA is about 15 euros.

Fedex/dhl costs more - minimum 80 euros - and you need to check the small print for what you're covered for. And the buyer is much more likely to be charged import duties.

As a seller I would always make clear who is bearing the risk on shipment.

Thanks for the advice!

Any response from my American friends? If it does for some reason get held up in customs, where do I have to go to get it, and how is the duty collected? Is that something that has to be done in person at the customs office or can it be done over the phone/via mail? How long does it typically take?

Nevermind, I bought domestically. :)

-Thumbed from my Droid.

Thread Information