Domed sapphire glass question
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Domed sapphire glass question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    So, my Lander was sent to Farer to have some dust and a fiber removed from the watch face. Since its return I’m noticing something (though it may have always been there). Pictured, all around the glass where it meets the face, are little elements that almost look like dust but I don’t believe it’s dust. Are there impurities in some of the glass normally? I hope I’m explaining it right. Anyone with a Lander see this? I only do at certain angles but it’s pretty apparent. I don’t want to send my watch in again but if this is a defect, I might have to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Domed sapphire glass question

I'd chalk that up to subtle imperfections in the gasket between the crystal and the case, likely exaggerated by the optical properties of the dome.
    Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts

Quote Originally Posted by MX793 View Post
    I'd chalk that up to subtle imperfections in the gasket between the crystal and the case, likely exaggerated by the optical properties of the dome.
    Oh, now that actually makes a lot of sense. Not something I'd send it back in for, as I'm sure all the gaskets have similar imperfections. Certain spots are worse than others.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MX793 View Post
    Is there a reason they might use glue of some sort or that they might be micro fractures in the glass?

Banned

I had a vintage Hamilton that somebody he glued the crystal on. It looked a bit like this. None of my Farers, including the one on my wrist, look like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovakii View Post
    Is there a reason they might use glue of some sort or that they might be micro fractures in the glass?

Quote Originally Posted by atdegs View Post
    I had a vintage Hamilton that somebody he glued the crystal on. It looked a bit like this. None of my Farers, including the one on my wrist, look like that.
    Interesting. I've emailed Farer about it. I'd imagine this is an actual issue and they'll have me send it back. I'm so disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovakii View Post
    Sapphire is quite brittle. It generally shatters when it breaks rather than cracking. What you're seeing is some kind of sealing media, either a gasket or some kind of adhesive sealant that is used to take up micro imperfections between the case shape and the crystal shape to ensure water tightness. I'm fairly certain I have a watch at home with similar discolorations around the seal interface. Certainly something I've seen before.
    ffritz likes this.