Don't hate on me: Let's talk Rolex for a sec - Page 5

Thread: Don't hate on me: Let's talk Rolex for a sec

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Re: Don't hate on me: Let's talk Rolex for a sec

I have a Rolex and a Benz.

Comparing the two gives too much credit to Rolex. IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyhx View Post
    put into some perspective - Rolex are totally in house manufacture - I don't think I can name one other that sells cheaper than Rolex.

....................with exception of the jap brands of course.

So you could argue Rolex offer good value.

Non rolex owner
    dude, try asian brands and not jap, please.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Quote Originally Posted by deepcdvr View Post
    Don't be a quitter!! Pass the popcorn and let's hear some more..
    LOL. I am only here to eat the popcorn with you now, so pass the salt.
    Better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyhx View Post
    put into some perspective - Rolex are totally in house manufacture - I don't think I can name one other that sells cheaper than Rolex.
    I can name two Swiss houses (well, one is an aspect of the other, but they are two seperate movements) that offer in-house manufacture movements for less retail than an equivilant Rolex. There is some myth out there that Rolex is the cheapest way to get in the manufacture game. It's not true. Oh yeah, check out the finishing...

here they are in action:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_5vLCn2oo8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v27YqP3IUuI

Interesting questions by the OP. I think Rolex somehow got their name out in the mainstream and established themselves as the "best" as perceived by the general public very early on. I think I can safely call myself a WIS now, but before last year, I haven't even heard of Breitling, much less Patek Phillpe, JLC, Jaquet Droz, etc. Rolex, on the other hand, I've heard of since I was a little kid over 20 years ago.

Having recently handled a Rolex for the first time in my life, I do think their reputation as a great watch is well earned. I certainly wouldn't mind owning one someday.
    Current Collection (reverse order of acquisition):
    BREITLING Galactic 41|PROMETHEUS Poseidon|BULOVA Moonwatch|SEIKO Tuna SBBN033|BREITLING SO Abyss|SEIKO Pepsi Turtle-X|GRUPPO GAMMA Vanguard|OMEGA PO 8500|ORIS BC4-DM|JEANRICHARD Terrascope|JEANRICHARD Aeroscope|PERPETUAL T-04|BENARUS Moray Vintage|PANERAI 560|LONGINES Heritage 1973|SWATCH Sistem 51|TUDOR Black Bay|BENARUS Moray 42|Ocean7 LM-7PVD|STOWA Antea KS|SEIKO GS SBGR051|G-Shock GS1050B|G-Shock GW7900RD-4|SEIKO SDGA001 EPD|PANERAI 312|BALL EMII DLC|BREITLING Airwolf (circa 2009)|BATHYS HAWAII AquaCulture Rose Ti|SEIKO Ananta SD GMT|BREITLING SuperOcean(circa 2007)|G-Shock Riseman|SEA-GULL M185SP|ORIS F1 Chrono '08

i agree with you, enzo, but what we need in this thread is a high horse seiko enthusiast who "calls out" swiss watch fans and can further educate me and some of the others on the grand seiko/ spring drive line and provide "reasonable" comparisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzotemko View Post
    Yes, brand management! Man, look at the difference in brand recognition between Seiko and Rolex! Seiko is now seen as something you can pick up at Walmart. It is sort of a shame because Seiko is again putting out some fine products and the Grand Seiko is a real entry back into the 'high end.' But they allowed their product to sag and be seen next to Bulova and such mall stuff. It has hurt them badly.

Rolex has never allowed that to happen. I guess that's what you pay for.
    --AC

Quote Originally Posted by Brocktoon View Post
    I have a Rolex and a Benz.

Comparing the two gives too much credit to Rolex. IMHO.

You gotta be kiddin' me. Mercedes has fell off quite a bit for the last decade. While Rolex still produces quality products.

While I still love Mercedes, they are not the same as before. They are makin a nice comeback with the new C and E classes respectively, but they've lost a step to BMW and Audi is now creeping closer than ever.
    Current Rotation:
    Rolex DSSD
    Rolex SeaDweller 16600
    Rolex Submariner 16610 "LV"
    APROO Rubberclad black
    APROO bumblebee
    Hublot Ice Bang
    Hublot Tantalum Bang
    JLC Amvox 5

Garage:
    14 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
    15 Porsche 911 S
    16 Range Rover Sport

Quote Originally Posted by acdelco View Post
    i agree with you, enzo, but what we need in this thread is a high horse seiko enthusiast who "calls out" swiss watch fans and can further educate me and some of the others on the grand seiko/ spring drive line and provide "reasonable" comparisions.
    Ah, this thread was doing so well, but then the nastiness creeps in. Nice going.
    Mark
    ---------------------------
    Seiko Spring Drive Chronograph SPS003
    Oris TT1 Titan Diver Chronograph 1000M

IWC Portuguese Chronograph 3714-01
    Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT SBGE001

I have also seen a lot of beginner Mercedes that look pretty cheap to me. On the same level as a Saturn. That is a shame. They went Chevy trying to appeal to every consumer group. They still have their high end cars, but I see a lot of cheap-o Mercs out there. And new ones, too.

Rolex, on the other hand, does not have a ghetto line. Nothing for the student. Nothing for the housewife on a tight budget. Nothing for the kids at the mall.

That has been an excellent strategy. They have patience and a long-term plan. THAT is what you are paying for. The more I talk about it, the more I like Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzotemko View Post
    You know, this is very stupid (or is it profound?), but I also think that Rolex chose the correct symbol for it's watch. A crown. They say we react very strongly to images and symbols. What better symbol to announce, "Hey, look, we are the best - the desire of kings!!!"

+1

Good marketing tactic on their end.

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information