Don't hate on me: Let's talk Rolex for a sec

Thread: Don't hate on me: Let's talk Rolex for a sec

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Don't hate on me: Let's talk Rolex for a sec

I'm fairly new here, so I'm sure this has been covered, yet each new thread has it's own unique personality.....

I just read a thread here where someone was asking if Rolex was the best brand. Now, we all know that there are maybe 30 or so brands that put out stuff a hundred times more expensive and incredible than Rolex. I HAVE a Rolex (keep this in mind). I mean, in the REAL world of high-end watches, a Rolex is like a nice Buick. Not a Lambo. To me, a Rolex is sort of a very nice working watch. I think of it like the old Nikon F1 work horse camera. I think of it as sort of a Land Rover - something that is a little classy while you are out actually getting dirty and banging around. I like the history and so-on. It's a nice solid watch.

But here is what I don't get:

1. Why would a multi-millionaire movie star wear a Rolex when he could wear a Breguet, a Jaquet-Droz or something like that?

2. Why did a guy look at me yesterday in astonishment when i told him my watch was a Rolex. It's like he couldn't believe it. I am amazed at this because almost anybody could get a Rolex if they really wanted one. You can find them used for about a thousand bucks if you looked around.

4. Why do people wear fake ones? I asked a guy about his Rolex the other day and saw that it was fake. Who is he kidding with that? Why???? And if there are so many fake ones, doesn't that make real ones a little cheaper?

3. I rarely see commercials for Rolex outside of watch mags. How is this incredible image maintained? How does it get into everyone's mind that a Rolex is like a gold-plated Rolls? I really don't get it. Even my young kid thinks of it this way. Where did HE get the idea?

Re: Don't hate on me: Let's talk Rolex for a sec

Interesting perspectives.

I don't have answers to all your questions, but regarding your first point, I guess it's really up to personal taste and character. There are lots of Rolex owners who often just like strapping on a G-Shock, too (yours truly included).

personally, i don't see Rolex as a superior in engineering or in style. there are more more watch brands more superior in engineering quality or in style matters. and i totally agree, and as you've already mention. i just say, Rolex is superior and 'win' by their marketing strategy. this is the key. their marketing put brand image that Rolex is just superior watch to for public watch enthusiast, not to WIS like us, since we already discuss it again, and again. just like shoe brand N*ke. i read somewhere, that actually their cost for a pair of shoes is just 20 bucks or less, but the retail price says 75-80 bucks, based in region. i see this case have a correlation. what do you think?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Rolex has a big time image making machine...advertising, marketing, big participation in charitable events & sporting events. In the USA there's a lot of print advertising in non-watch magazines, & there are even a few ads once & a while on TV.
    The watch is easy to get, available in a lot of places where you can't get an exotic watch. BTW...I think of the Rolex as a Mercedes Benz, solid, high-end & quiet quality, runs well, holds value, expensive to service etc.
    & the BIG plus to WIS folks is....if Ian Fleming & James Bond wore Rolex...no brainer, there is no other.

You know, now a days you think of Omega with Bond. A lot of commercials and even product placement in the movies. I think Bond even mentioned his 'Omega' watch in the last movie. And I also know many companies have big stars like Nicole Kidman wear their watches. This gets in all the magazines. I've seen Patek commercials, too. And yet, somehow, mysteriously, it is Rolex that is remembered. I think it may even have something to do with the name itself - rolls off the tongue and is easily remembered.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Enzotemko View Post
    1. Why would a multi-millionaire movie star wear a Rolex when he could wear a Breguet, a Jaquet-Droz or something like that?
    Many celebrities are paid to be seen wearing certain clothes and jewellery, driving certain cars. Just because you see someone in a magazine, on TV, or in a movie wearing a particular watch or driving a particular car doesn't man that they went out and bought it, or would choose to do so if it was their own $$$ being dished out. Others probably just like Rolex because it is an obvious symbol of wealth. Others maybe grew up reading National Geographic and relate to the brand through the ads. Personally, I doubt manyare wearing one becsue they appreciate the reliability of a 3135 or realy wanted a watch with a parachrom hair spring (whatever that is). But I could be worng.

2. Why did a guy look at me yesterday in astonishment when i told him my watch was a Rolex. It's like he couldn't believe it. I am amazed at this because almost anybody could get a Rolex if they really wanted one. You can find them used for about a thousand bucks if you looked around.
    It is untrue that almost anybody can afford to spend $1000 on a watch. Much of the world's population is very poor. I don'tknow the figures, but they certainly aren'tin the mrket for even $100 watches. In the western world, most gainfully employed people can afford a Rolex if they save up and make significant sacrifices. Not everybody wants to make those sacrifices, as they can think of 'better' things to blow the cash on (US$1000 can buy a lot of great toys for a kid, or eample, and something nice for the wife).

Also, it is not lost on most people that a tatty $1000 rolex is materially no better than a tatty $200 watch from another brand, and that a new $6000 sub is materially no better than a US$3000 diver fromanother brand. The amazement people exhibit when they hear one has a Rolex is most likely not because they can't imagine ever having $5,000, but because they can't imagine ever spending $5,000 on a watch.

4. Why do people wear fake ones? I asked a guy about his Rolex the other day and saw that it was fake. Who is he kidding with that? Why???? And if there are so many fake ones, doesn't that make real ones a little cheaper?
    People buy fake Rolexes for the same reasons people buy real ones (apart from good resale value!). They just don't want to spend thousands of $$$ on their watch.

3. I rarely see commercials for Rolex outside of watch mags. How is this incredible image maintained? How does it get into everyone's mind that a Rolex is like a gold-plated Rolls? I really don't get it. Even my young kid thinks of it this way. Where did HE get the idea?
    Almost every issue of time and newsweek and the bulletin and the Australian Magazine, and often the Financial review has ads for Rolex. Rolex sponsor many sporting events, many sporting celebrities, and probably many other celebrities (Rolex has been mentioned several times in 2 1/2 men,for example). Huge marketing budgets, and sky high prices, give the impression to the great unwashed that Rolex must be the best (followed by tag, of course! ) Most people don't realise that many cheaper watches are of similar quality, and many equivalently priced watches are more complicated, feature hand assembly / finishing, contain precious metals, etc etc.

Interesting questions, that's my take on it.

Fine watches, but even finer marketing. Cachet.
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

Rolex has some interesting spokespeople....Roger Federer, the great race car driver Jackie Stewart.............Rolex has a big time prescense in sports...PGA golf tour..guys like Arnold Palmer & Jack Nicklaus, Wimbledon tennis, Herman Maier(skier), yachting...the International Regatta. Artistes... Placido Domingo. Great rock guitarist Eric Clapton's a spokesman...John Mayer, B.B. King & Buddy Guy wear Rolex. various heads of state, some good some not so good. Who can forget Sir Ed ascending Mt. Everest wearing his Rolex!
    Rolex doesn't publish it's charitable donations, but in 2005 they donated US$1,000,000. to hurricane Katrina relief. They sell a lot of watches in the USA, a nice classy gesture.
    Bogus Rolexes, proabably the bulk of bootleg watches!
    Other watch companies may make more expensive & complicated watches...but there's nothing like a Rolex....they have the image, the "mystique".......it is an impressive firm.

How many real world people know Breguet or Jaquet-Droz?
    Real world people know Seiko, Citizen and Timex.
    They know Rolex makes expensive watches and they think Rolex is the ultimate watch.
    Now comes all the wis "experts" parroting all the crapola they've read re: Rolex.
    Great thread....
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

i think so far everyone agree Rolex is superior in marketing and branding strategy. and marketing is all about delivering customer value, not just quality and benefit of its' core product. so by those folks own Rolex, we should hear what value do they have got from Rolex.

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information