Don't have a Grand Seiko? No AD nearby? Check out Watch-Tanaka's videos in HD on YouTube!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Domo
  • 1 Post By rdoder
  • 1 Post By Domo
  • 1 Post By adi4

Thread: Don't have a Grand Seiko? No AD nearby? Check out Watch-Tanaka's videos in HD on YouTube!

Don't have a Grand Seiko? No AD nearby? Check out Watch-Tanaka's videos in HD on YouTube!

I keep reading about how incredible Grand Seiko watches look in real life. I've been a bit skeptical, because I see the pictures and videos all the time, they look okay, but not necessarily that much "WOW!" factor seen. But so many Grand Seiko owners say "pictures do not do them justice", and I've yet to read about disappointment in owning Grand Seiko. Heck, Seiko even fixes issues that Grand Seiko owners have (e.g. second hand not-quite-perfectly aligned to minute markers for Grand Seiko quartz, y-axis unevenness in the "GS" symbol), which is just terrific.

For awhile now, I wanted to see what the fuss is all about, but there's no Grand Seiko AD or Seiko boutique near where I live (turns out there used to be a Seiko boutique in Toronto, but it closed down! ), and I'm too cheap and cautious as to just spring for one without thorough research and copious amount of ogling first. But all that I ogle online are inferior to the watch in real life. What to do?

Then I stumbled onto the "1080p HD" versions of Watch-Tanaka.com's videos on YouTube (must be watched in "1080p HD" and in "Full screen" mode to get the full glory). Now THAT has got the "WOW!" factor in the dials, and I could maybe finally get a closer idea of what the real thing looks like! Granted, those videos show how the dials might look like under the loupe, but maybe that's even better because then you could really examine the dials in super-fine detail. To make sure that it's not just superior high-def camera work done by Watch-Tanaka that I'm seeing, I also looked at their videos (also in "1080p HD" and "Full screen" mode) of regular Seiko watches, and I could definitely see for example the imperfections of the finishing of the hands, hour markers, and movement, so it's not just nice camera work that I'm seeing with Grand Seiko, it's the quality finishes that's being seen.

Grand Seiko owners are also welcomed to take a look and chime in about what you think. Probably still not as good as in real life, right? But I'd think it's much closer to real life than other pictures and videos.

Check them out and let the salivating begin :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49zxTyICB5c
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW-GzzlBXWI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DTfsuJ7Nig
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAeokHCV9j0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xeb85dNrWtY (That blue sunburst dial on this GS quartz is to die for!)
    etc.
    Last edited by rdoder; July 11th, 2014 at 12:03.

Re: Don't have a Grand Seiko? No AD nearby? Check out Watch-Tanaka's videos in HD on YouTube!

Yeah, watch-tanaka has some great pics and videos out there. Pretty often when I'm Google-imaging any Japanese watch the best pics will have his watermark on them. Since you're dipping your toes in, which models have you got your eyes on? I do like to know :D
    rdoder likes this.

Re: Don't have a Grand Seiko? No AD nearby? Check out Watch-Tanaka's videos in HD on YouTube!

Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    Yeah, watch-tanaka has some great pics and videos out there. Pretty often when I'm Google-imaging any Japanese watch the best pics will have his watermark on them. Since you're dipping your toes in, which models have you got your eyes on? I do like to know :D
    Right now I'm ogling Grand Seiko quartz SBGX065: my Seiko 7T32-6E40 inspires lust in blue sunburst (but I have 4 out of ~7 watches already with blue dial! So I'm undecided yet.); the 37mm smaller size might be better for my 6-inch wrist; I thought I didn't like the hour markers or the look of the side of the case for the SBGX series (SBGV has cooler hour markers and side-look), but I'm fluctuating back to favoring SBGX in terms of liking its overall design; the cheaper price also helps!

Thanks for your feedback, and thanks for asking!
    Domo likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rdoder View Post
    Right now I'm ogling Grand Seiko quartz SBGX065: my Seiko 7T32-6E40 inspires lust in blue sunburst (but I have 4 out of ~7 watches already with blue dial! So I'm undecided yet.); the 37mm smaller size might be better for my 6-inch wrist; I thought I didn't like the hour markers or the look of the side of the case for the SBGX series (SBGV has cooler hour markers and side-look), but I'm fluctuating back to favoring SBGX in terms of liking its overall design; the cheaper price also helps!

Thanks for your feedback, and thanks for asking!
    Nice choice! Also consider the quartz models in the 'active line'....The SBGX083/085/087. The 37mm SBGX085 has a great case profile, awesome (and a bit richer) blue sunburst, and a touch of colour on the seconds hand. Of course, it's a bit 'sportier' than the 065. Keep us updated!
    rdoder likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    Nice choice! Also consider the quartz models in the 'active line'....The SBGX083/085/087. The 37mm SBGX085 has a great case profile, awesome (and a bit richer) blue sunburst, and a touch of colour on the seconds hand. Of course, it's a bit 'sportier' than the 065. Keep us updated!
    Thanks so much Domo for the suggestions! It's a great point, SBGX083/085/087 are sportier, maybe more interesting looking and not as plain, old-fashioned, or "old-man's watch". Reminds me of yonsson who sold SBGX061 (black) and bought Active Line SBGX083 (black), and is much happier with the sportier model: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f9/fina...-874449-2.html The Active Line is slightly bigger, but still within range of what I could wear. I could see the appeal of the red-tipped hand, differently finished minute marker ring, and the crown guard, giving the sportier look. But I also wonder if I would enjoy a more uniform look in the long-term (more elegant looking?). Currently I have a preference for smaller watches because they're on average lighter (I'm assuming this is the case for non-Active Line), I think of it as less likely to get scratched, and maybe less bulky and slides under the cuff easier. But these preferences might change over time.

Hmm... more ogling required! Thanks!
    Last edited by rdoder; July 11th, 2014 at 18:03.

Those videos are pretty close to accurate on capturing the polish of GS watches. Of course, the feel of the watch is a whole other thing that really requires you to try it on! All my GS's are supremely comfortable, especially on the profile of the back of the case that molds right on to my wrist.

I love my SBGX063 and I feel it's just perfect on my 6.5 in wrist (I like watches slightly on the smaller side for comfort). I like the sportier ones as well, but for me I had to go backwards in their catalogue to find a model that would satisfy my needs (SBGF017), which were some lume, independent hour hand, and 200m WR.

Name:  IMG_2559.JPG
Views: 530
Size:  238.6 KB
    rdoder likes this.

Thread Information