Downsizing. Should I sell my IWC Mark and Tudor for a Datejust?
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Downsizing. Should I sell my IWC Mark and Tudor for a Datejust?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Downsizing. Should I sell my IWC Mark and Tudor for a Datejust?

Hi Everyone,

I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm a 4-5 watch person. I don't really enjoy owning more than that and I don't feel I can really justify owning more than 5 good (for me) pieces. My current crop are as follows:

Rolex Explorer 214270 39mm
    Rolex Explorer II Polar 16570
    IWC Mark XV
    Tudor Prince Oysterdate Jumbo 38mm
    Tudor Pelagos LHD
    Seiko SKX and a couple of Casios

I'm considering selling my IWC and Tudor Prince Oysterdate to raise funds for a nice clean white Buckley dial Datejust. Either an engine turned steel or white gold bezel on bracelet. I will admit I'm going through a Rolex phase, but I am more drawn to the white Buckley dial than my 70s baton dial Tudor Prince.

What are your thoughts?

Pictures of my current collection and an example of a Buckley Datejust for illustration.
    IWC Mark XV, Seiko SKX007/Mod, Tudor Prince Oysterdate 'Jumbo' 1972, G Shock GW-5000, Rolex Explorer 214270 Mk2

Re: Downsizing. Should I sell my IWC Mark and Tudor for a Datejust?

Personally I like the Tudor more then the Rolex pictured. Not a fan of the Buckley dials and that Tudor is classic. If you wanted a change then maybe sell the Tudor and pic up a Cartier Tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sammers and Uberscreamer like this.
    My collection changes so often I got tired of redoing my signature

I like that Datejust with roman numerals, but I also like the Tudor Oysterdate. I’d sell the Pelagos intead.
    sammers likes this.
    IG: @wtma
    ---
    CASIO G-SHOCK GMW-B5000-1 PRO TREK PRT-4000T-7A PRT-4000T-7B
    SEIKO PROSPEX MARINEMASTER PROFESSIONAL SBBN007
    GLYCINE AIRMAN VINTAGE 1953 LE 3904.14/66AIRMAN DC-4 3904.19H24/66
    DAMASKO LARGE AVIATOR MANUFACTORY CALIBRE DK15

TUDOR HERITAGE BLACK BAY 36 M79500-0004
    OMEGA SPEEDMASTER PROFESSIONAL MOONWATCH 311.30.42.30.01.006

JAEGER-LECOULTRE GRANDE REVERSO ULTRA THIN DUOFACE Q3788570 (GRAIL)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wtma View Post
    I like that Datejust with roman numerals, but I also like the Tudor Oysterdate. I’d sell the Pelagos intead.
    The divers see a lot of wrist time. Reason for considering swapping out both the IWC and Tudor is that they get worn less, I tend to prefer waterproof watches on bracelets for day to day wear, and don't often need a formal watch, hence reducing to a single dressier watch. I appreciate that the IWC is strictly a tool watch but on leather at 38mm with 60m WR it's kind of dainty.
    IWC Mark XV, Seiko SKX007/Mod, Tudor Prince Oysterdate 'Jumbo' 1972, G Shock GW-5000, Rolex Explorer 214270 Mk2

Sell the IWC and get an Oysterquartz with Buckley dial - much more interesting than a DJ, as you already have the Tudor to fill that role nicely.
    sammers likes this.
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Modern: Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Ralf Tech WRV 1977, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7068 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), 6309-7290 (1987), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984).

Yes. Originally I thought not but after looking at the pictures I decided that the Prince and the IWC should go.

I think you could sell both and not lose out on much in the way of versatility within your collection. In the place of those 2 though I might opt for a DJ with the tuxedo dial.

Pic from www
    mak1277, MediumRB and MaxIcon like this.

What you're suggesting makes a lot of sense...the IWC and Explorer I overlap to a significant extent and you don't need them both (even though I think I prefer the IWC), and the Tudor and DJ would be duplicative as well.

If it was me, I'd be tempted to get rid of the Explorer I, Tudor prince and Pelagos, add some cash and get a (used) DJ and (new) Sub.
    sammers likes this.

Only the OP can make the decision on this one but I like the XV. However, the Prince Oysterdate looks small to me.

Life's short, do what YOU like!
    sammers likes this.
    "Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late." -Ben Franklin
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stark View Post
    Only the OP can make the decision on this one but I like the XV. However, the Prince Oysterdate looks small to me.

Life's short, do what YOU like!
    Thanks. I like them all! I love both Explorers, more than a Sub, and the Tudor rocks as a fun, casual watch that I don't ever feel I need to baby or be concerned with value retention/condition. I am likely to sell the Tudor Oysterdate first and see how I feel at that point.
    Chris Stark likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information