Drat! Outbid!
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Drat! Outbid!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Drat! Outbid!

I've never bid on ebay before; I've only ever bought items at "buy-it-now" prices. And so for the first time I was bidding, and on a nice looking Seiko Lordmatic, for which I was outbid - by one dollar - in the last 5 seconds! Clearly somebody knows more about clever bidding than I do. (And got it for $81, which seems a steal.)

Ah well. An experience, and plenty more watches out there!

-A.

Re: Drat! Outbid!

I don't know much about last minute bidding, but pretty sure people use a computer program to put in bids right a the very end of auctions (like in the final seconds). Either way, it's frustrating, sorry to hear

A sniping tool in action, most probably. You'll embrace these and stand a chance or lose biddings dignified. ;)
    scottjc and MikeAB like this.
    "Evil plots don't just make themselves, you know..." (Prince Ludwig the Indestructible)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

"Sniping" still only works if the other guy bids more than you do. If you bid less than you're actually willing to pay, this is what happens.
    peacemaker885, ffritz and rfortson like this.

I'm sure if you Google "Ebay bidding strategies" there's enough there to beat a dead horse for days.

A general rule of thumb is to let the auto bidding do the work, besides, sometimes you cant be there when it ends.
    Just decide how much your willing to spend, what is your absolute top dollar?

Punch that in, then if you loose, well then you wont feel too bad about it.
    Tip...don't be cheap and you'll win more often.
    Brian Hatton and rfortson like this.

The best thing about using sniping tools to bid automatically on your auctions, is that you do not get emotionally involved in the bidding process. Lock in your highest price that you are willing to spend on the watch and let the auction run its course. Sometimes you win, and other times you lose. And every once in awhile you pick up a bargain.

Sniping is the only way to go. Otherwise you get into emotional bidding wars. Second place in an auction is always going to be lost by $1, $5, or whatever the minimum raise is. That's why I avoid live auctions. EBay auto proxy is a bit misleading. It's not like a silent auction. Each bidder' raise is updated in real-time with alerts to the guy that's just been out-bid. Leads to a vicious cycle of price escalation. With a sniping tool, you set your max and it is kept secret until the last minute, closer to how a true proxy would work. I use myibidder with good success.

Drat! Outbid!

Whether sniping or not, never set your max bid to a rollover number like 50, 100, 1000, etc. always do 54, 103, 1008, etc. I've won a whole lot of auctions with a Max bid just a dollar or two over the second-highest using this strategy.

Also keep in mind that the selling price of eBay auctions is highly predictable. Just do a search for similar items and use the left-column filters to show only "sold" items. This will give you a sense of the selling price for this item. If it's not too high for you and you want to win, just bid comfortably above that (for instance, if similar items typically go for between $800-850, a Max bid of $875 will virtually always win.)

I would say I win probably 95% of auctions I bid on, simply because I don't bid if I'm not willing to pay the typical selling price for similar items, and I always bid comfortably (but not outrageously) above said price.

I'm always shocked how many people set a maximum bid way below market value. I'll list an item that never auctions for less than $800, and there will be a dozen bidders with Max bids of $300, $400, etc. why even bother at that point?
    Last edited by gordon9999; August 4th, 2014 at 06:41.
    fatehbajwa and ffritz like this.

Bear in mind that you may have only lost by $1, but that the other persons maximum bid may have been much, much higher.

They may have got a bargain, but that's not to say you would have got a bargain if you'd bid $2 more.

The final sale price is just slightly higher than the second highest bidder was prepared to pay - not the absolute maximum amount that the winning bidder was prepared to pay.
    pyiyha, spidaman, domoon and 5 others like this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

If you're serious about bidding on auctions then you need to use a snipe tool.

Most action takes place in the last minute or so and, by showing your hand early, you give the other bidders an advantage.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information