Dreaming of a Preowned, need advice.
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dreaming of a Preowned, need advice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dreaming of a Preowned, need advice.

Good evening from Okinawa. I am going to be traveling to Osaka and and Kyoto, Japan soon and as a new Automatic watch owner, first one! I have learned the love of wearable artwork/ingenuity. My first watch the Blumo SBDC033.

The big question.

I would love to look at some vintage/preowned watches while in mainland Japan and maybe even buy one. My concern is I have know real knowledge of how not to buy a dud. The Japanese people have been honest and forthright more than I could have expected. But my concern is how to know how much a watch is worth. I am not looking to flip or profit but buy an heirloom. I believe if I like it that is what matters. But I would like to be smart.

What questions should I ask? With about a $200.00 budget what are some models I could research before I go? I love my dive watch but this wstch I think I would like to be plani and elegant. Movement is open. This is more about aesthetics. Of maybe historically significant versions.

Thank you for all your help. This is my fourth thread and beyond the fun I am having on WUS. I very much appreciate the knowledge.

Joe

Re: Dreaming of a Preowned, need advice.

Blumo - excellent watch, I love the look, too

regarding vintage watch shopping,
    if possible, just browse around eBay for "vintage Swiss watch" or "vintage automatic watch" to get a feel of what's out there and their price,
    you can look at sold items of those searches to get an idea of their market price,
    try to familiarize yourself with some names and how much well known brand and unknown brand names go for, but at $200 you'll get your fair share of options,

at the shop; handle the watch, make sure things are fine (no rattling inside, etc), set the time as well, make sure the crown works and winds well,
    ask when the last time it was serviced (servicing the watch could cost you another $200 for simple mechanical movement, standard interval is 5-8 years between service)

and dont be in a rush, the vintage watch market wont be going away for a long, long time

good luck and have fun ~

I know nothing about vintage watches. But others I have spoken to say it can be a real mine field. Be sure to have a good watch repair person who can assist you after your purchase.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I bought two vintage watches that the sellers claimed were recently serviced. Both crapped out within a year, and require a service.

I have learned no matter what the seller says, add the cost of a full service to the asking price.

My first watch the Blumo .

Good start and you now have an excellent casual daily wearer.
    The big question.
    Not really, break it done to smaller, simple questions.

I would love to look at some vintage/preowned watches while in mainland Japan and maybe even buy one. My concern is I have know real knowledge of how not to buy a dud.

I think going out shopping with the intenet of buying a vintage watch in a relatively short time is dangerous. Go looking, sure. But if you find one you love, great! If not, Great too. Take a tip from the female shopping book - Looking for hours (and hours and hours) on end can be as much fun as buying. Enjoy yourself, ask questions, hone your wants, pare out your dislikes. Unfortunately, getting a dud is a distinct possibility when you buy a very small precision instrument with an unknown history. Do your best but expect a bump or two in the road.

The Japanese people have been honest and forthright more than I could have expected. But my concern is how to know how much a watch is worth. I am not looking to flip or profit but buy an heirloom. I believe if I like it that is what matters. But I would like to be smart.

Any watch is worth what person A will sell it for and person B will pay for it. I have passed on some "good deals" because I did not care for the watches and paid a bit more than I should have because I really liked the watch and was willing to pay for that feeling. An heirloom for 200 bucks is possible but highly unlikely, really what the best you can hope for is a watch you will like for a long time. Your 'heirs' would prefer either a relatively expensive watch OR one that they remember you wearing all the time. I don't think this one will fall in either category.

What questions should I ask? With about a $200.00 budget what are some models I could research before I go? I love my dive watch but this wstch I think I would like to be plani and elegant. Movement is open. This is more about aesthetics. Of maybe historically significant versions.

When was it serviced? Is there a guarantee? Have you even opened it and given it a visual once over? Is it pressure tested or are the gaskets even intact (if applicable)? Recommending watches in the 200 dollar range is an exercise in futility. Get something you like the looks of OR will fill a need. I agree with the dress watch idea as an old dive watch in good shape is going to be a bit rarer than finding a gently used dress watch. Open movements are a fairly new development and aren't going to be found on what I would consider 'vintage' (greater than 30 years). One generally pays for historical significance too.

Thank you for all your help. This is my fourth thread and beyond the fun I am having on WUS. I very much appreciate the knowledge.
    Joe
    Don't think I offered any knowledge, just opinions based on experience and that's really how you learn. Everybody who has bought more than a few vintage watches has been stung. it's part of the game. The advice above about planning to have the watch serviced is good but would I service an old Seiko 5? No, it would exceed the value of the watch several times. An old Hamilton, Tissot, and so on. Sure, if I liked it. It may push it over the value a bit but then I'd get either years of service or could flip it with a small loss. The money lost in either case has to be written off as what you got out of it in enjoyment.

Good luck - post what you get!
    TapAptPat likes this.

I don't want to throw a wet blanket over your trip, but if you were my friend, I would recommend you do not buy a vintage watch especially given the short time frame, you have to learn about them.

Even among extremely experienced collectors, the vintage watch market is full of horrors. If you're looking for an heirloom, you've already made a great start with the Seiko Blumo. Excellent watch, it will last generations.

I would recommend buying a new watch. You can get a quality piece around $200. And it will last.

But if you insist on buying a used piece, I would recommend focusing on a very popular and specific brand and model. And begin researching online the typical price point for these pieces. So you have good knowledge if you're being ripped off or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TapAptPat likes this.

Here here. Some really good advice above. Use this trip as a scout. Enjoy trying items on. Take pictures of the ones you like. Even if they are outside of your budget.

Then read read get burned read some more. Vintage is an absolute joy when you buy a £20 piece in an Oxfam shop on a hunch. It's only worth like 30 tops. You'll only get there buy reading and getting burnt.

One last bit of encouragement there is a Watchuseek thread by WatchVaultNYC on a $500 *10. It goes to show that great pieces can be had at lower prices. Yes yes I know I doubled the budget. It's meant be an illustration of what research at specific price can get you.

Note all my points are that of a noob that is hooked on vintage.

Cheers
    Pat

Oxmega?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TapAptPat; October 22nd, 2016 at 20:57.
    -- Bremont -- Candino -- CWC -- Jaegre-LeCoultre -- Lemania -- Omega -- Pulsar -- Seiko --

Seiko skx007 is a great choice under 200.00

Quote Originally Posted by Ksuarez56 View Post
    Seiko skx007 is a great choice under 200.00
    Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention... I agree with the poster here. If you're gonna try to focus on getting a used piece. SKX007 or SKX009 would be sweet.

Also, a vintage seiko turtle from Japan might also be fun around that price range perhaps.

I would also agree with the other member. Treat the trip like a scouting vacation. Just look around and enjoy. But don't pressure yourself to buy. Chances are, you won't find exactly what you look for. And you will see plenty that you never saw before. You never know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Triathletejoe View Post
    Good evening from Okinawa. I am going to be traveling to Osaka and and Kyoto, Japan soon and as a new Automatic watch owner, first one! I have learned the love of wearable artwork/ingenuity. My first watch the Blumo SBDC033.

The big question.

I would love to look at some vintage/preowned watches while in mainland Japan and maybe even buy one. My concern is I have know real knowledge of how not to buy a dud. The Japanese people have been honest and forthright more than I could have expected. But my concern is how to know how much a watch is worth. I am not looking to flip or profit but buy an heirloom. I believe if I like it that is what matters. But I would like to be smart.

Joe
    Look for Seiko King Quartz watches from the late 1970's. They typically use a highly accurate very reliable movement like a 9923a and are good looking watches. A vintage mechanical watch of that age will likely need a full service.

Welcome to WUS!
    Last edited by John MS; October 23rd, 2016 at 22:25.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information