Dress diver or casual watch - help me choose.

Thread: Dress diver or casual watch - help me choose.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    TLN
    TLN is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Chicago, USA
    Posts
    177

    Question Dress diver or casual watch - help me choose.

    Hello.

    I'm a long time reader or different watch blogs, and finally wanna get something nice.
    At the moment I own three watches: May be I post photos tomorrow.
    -Swath Irony Crono. Not sure about a model, black dial, brushed aluminum case. I'd say looks kinda like Omega SMP in terms of color scheme.
    -Russian Amphibiya watch. White dial, hand wound, on a leather strap.
    -Casion SeaPathfinder - electronic, beater watch with Altimeter/Barometer, no compass though.

    First of all, I'm looking for something under $1000. I'm not limiting though, and an stretch a little. Or wait till my birthday this fall and stretch even more.
    I'm 25yo, 18cm wirst. BTW, english is not my native so excuse for mistakes, if there's any.

    Watches I like(out of price range):
    -Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean GMT 43.5
    -Nomos Zurich World Timer in Blue
    -Rolex Submariner
    -Seiko Bullhead


    What I would like to have in watches. Not everything is required
    -Tasteful watch
    -Dress diver. I won't be diving 100m, but like the looks of a divers watch.
    -Not flashy colors. Black, White, Blue. Not really flashy(this will have an exception below, but this confirms the rule)
    -Smooth edges.
    -Clear case back
    -GMT/Worldtimer will be good.
    -Chances are that I will wear on some leather coconut-coloured strap. Nice bracelet is good addition as well.
    -44mm at max. Not too small too, I'm not a small guy.


    What I dislike in watches:
    -Homage. Being a copy-cat is worst thing. You either buying original Submariner or not buying at all.
    -Cheap-looking polished steel. Not all look cheap for sure, but in price range mostly.
    -Sharp edges.
    -Too flashy

    In fact, it's not really easy to find elegant and tastefully done watches under 1000 that are not copies of higher-end brands.
    But here's a list. This will include some watches out of range. Not looking forward to drop a several grands for a watch, but who knows :)

    Watches I'm looking at. Prices are very approximate. Photos with brown leather strap where I found such combo, just click the links.
    -$700 Halios Tropik SS
    -$700 Halios Delfin
    =Halios seems to be a well-respected brand in watch community. Dive watches with 40mm, and 43mm cases. They're tastefully designed and well made.
    -$500 Benarus moray vintage with blue dial. Lacks clear case back and sapphire glass, but priced accoringly.
    =Looks amazing. I remember there were some Moray 40 or 42. with sapphire and clear case back, but cannot find on a website.
    -$800 Hamilton Navy pioneer white dial. May be Chrono version. Both of this looks good to me, but I'd like to change dial a little. There's somethig that prevents it to be perfect.
    -$980 Hamilton Pan Europ in blue - this was the flashy watch I mentioned. Looks great, not a diver, but that's ok. There's black crono version for a bit more then $1000.
    =Well-known brand, not Miyota movement.
    -$900 Longins Hydroconquest

    Another option, I'm considering is getting a seiko watch, and shipping it to customize. Watches by Nick shows some nice executed watches. This will not break the bank and I got some cool ideas

    Out of range but who knows:
    -$1600 Oris sity-five
    -$1600 Longines Heritage Legend diver.
    -$1500 Rado D-star 200
    -$1550 Nomos Club. $1.5k for 36mm, which is kinda small. 40mm will be more then that. Worth biting the bullet?
    I will add more waches in the morning. It was more watchs on my list, just cannot remember all of them now. :)

    Ok, main questions are:
    1. Microbrands vs bigger brands. Read this as Halios vs Hamilton for example. One uses Miyota, other use H30 movenemt. What is better?
    2. Worth stretching price limit? I get some nice Longines watches, lower-end Nomos, may be Oris, Alpina and others. I have some doubts about this, as I might be not comfortable wearing $2000 watch daily(May be I'm saying this until I got one?)
    3. Any good suggestions?
    4. Custom Seiko?
    Last edited by TLN; July 23rd, 2015 at 09:30.

  2. #2
    Member dr3ws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,329

    Re: Dress diver or casual watch - help me choose.

    1. I prefer a bigger brands than microbrands, I currently own a Longines HC with column wheel chrono movement which being part of swatch group it gets exclusive ETA movement only available to longines.
    2. If there's one you really like and you need to stretch your budget abit then get it otherwise you would keep thinking about it after you bought a lesser watch and eventually you will buy that one in the future.
    3. Oris Aquis? The Longines hydroconquest is a good choice anyway, what about Tissot Seastar? Check out Aquadive and Christopher Ward too

    Anyway I like planet ocean and submariner too but I can't afford it now so I'm saving for a planet ocean now.

  3. #3
    Member dantan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    12,022

    Re: Dress diver or casual watch - help me choose.

    Hi TLN, perhaps if you could stretch a few hundred dollars more, and purchase a Longines Legend Diver. It looks good on a range of straps, and is from a good, reputable, brand. It looks good with more formal attire and looks great dressed more casually, as well. If you can find a discontinued No Date model that has been well looked after, you should be able to purchase one for very close to $1,000.00.
    Dan.
    A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down
    H. Moser & Cie Pioneer Centre Seconds
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Tribute Small Seconds
    Officine Panerai Radiomir PAM 720
    Rolex Submariner 114060 (No Date)
    Cartier Santos WSSA0010
    Apple Watch Series 4 Nike+
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SKX009
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-1
    Casio G-Shock GA-700
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E
    And others (not really worth mentioning)

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    TLN
    TLN is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Chicago, USA
    Posts
    177

    Re: Dress diver or casual watch - help me choose.

    Quote Originally Posted by dr3ws View Post
    1. I prefer a bigger brands than microbrands, I currently own a Longines HC with column wheel chrono movement which being part of swatch group it gets exclusive ETA movement only available to longines.
    2. If there's one you really like and you need to stretch your budget abit then get it otherwise you would keep thinking about it after you bought a lesser watch and eventually you will buy that one in the future.
    3. Oris Aquis? The Longines hydroconquest is a good choice anyway, what about Tissot Seastar? Check out Aquadive and Christopher Ward too

    Anyway I like planet ocean and submariner too but I can't afford it now so I'm saving for a planet ocean now.
    2. Something that I like is Planet Ocean GMT, Zurich Worldtimer, may be a bit more. Safe to say this is in $3k+ range. (PO and zurich in 5k+).
    3. Oris aquis is probably example of what I try to avoid: polished and shiny case and sharp edges(bezel, case).
    On the orther hand Oris diver 65 look really elegant and in adequate range.

    Quote Originally Posted by dantan View Post
    Hi TLN, perhaps if you could stretch a few hundred dollars more, and purchase a Longines Legend Diver. It looks good on a range of straps, and is from a good, reputable, brand. It looks good with more formal attire and looks great dressed more casually, as well. If you can find a discontinued No Date model that has been well looked after, you should be able to purchase one for very close to $1,000.00.
    That's a really nice find! I really like many models in that range but they'r $2000+ mostly.
    I tool a look at legend diver when I was posting this list and it was 2600. I didn't know there's a no-date version. Now I need to read about it and find the diffrerencies.

  6. #5
    Member sticky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    55,373

    Re: Dress diver or casual watch - help me choose.

    IMO if you have to stetch a bit to get the Oris Aquis it's well worth doing.

  7. #6
    TLN
    TLN is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Chicago, USA
    Posts
    177

    Re: Dress diver or casual watch - help me choose.

    Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    IMO if you have to stetch a bit to get the Oris Aquis it's well worth doing.
    Oris Aquis? Or sixty-five?
    I'm not excited about Aquis, for reasons mentioned. I might take a look in person, but anyways.

  8. #7
    Member rfortson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    10,588

    Re: Dress diver or casual watch - help me choose.

    You've got some good choices there. I like the Longines and Rado options. BTW, you can get the Rado D-Star 200 for under $1000 on Ashford. Those would be the two I'd consider the most, with the edge going to Longines for me, since the D-Star 200 is too big for me.

    One other option would be to check out JeanRichard watches on Ashford. They have some great deals, plus a 25% off coupon right now. Look at the threads here on the public forum about them. Several members have bought them and they would fall just in your budget with the coupon.

    I know you don't want flashy colors, but this is my dressy diver, the Rado Original Diver, well within your budget on Ashford.
    Attached Images Attached Images



    Last edited by rfortson; July 23rd, 2015 at 22:18.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,537

    Re: Dress diver or casual watch - help me choose.

    I suspect the Omegas may drop in price quite a bit over the next couple years as the co-axials move in and the "regular" Omegas become a really "old" model. They won't drop sub 1k (other than used), but they may drop to your "Out of range but who knows:" range.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

  10. #9
    TLN
    TLN is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Chicago, USA
    Posts
    177

    Re: Dress diver or casual watch - help me choose.

    Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
    You've got some good choices there. I like the Longines and Rado options. BTW, you can get the Rado D-Star 200 for under $1000 on Ashford. Those would be the two I'd consider the most, with the edge going to Longines for me, since the D-Star 200 is too big for me.

    One other option would be to check out JeanRichard watches on Ashford. They have some great deals, plus a 25% off coupon right now. Look at the threads here on the public forum about them. Several members have bought them and they would fall just in your budget with the coupon.
    Will look into that. Personally I find Halios Divers looks better then Rado/Longines/Oris divers in terms of looks. I've included those brands because there should be some good divers from bigger brands in that range.

    Longines Heritage series looks very good, Legend diver, 1973 - very cool looking watch, both out of my price range though..

    Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
    I know you don't want flashy colors, but this is my dressy diver, the Rado Original Diver, well within your budget on Ashford.
    It's not about the colors, in fact I really love Tropik SS in blue color. Nomos Zurich in Blue looks amazing. Omega PlanetOcean in gues.. Blue color looks perfect. And, no, I'm not limiting myself to Blue color only, but I haven't seen much red/green/yellow/etc colors, especially in this range.

    I don't really like a polished metal. Typical divers watch have a lots of edges and it looks like a disco-ball from 70s to me. That's personal preference, don't take this offensive.
    I see lots of great looking watches with polished (and shiny) cases, but they're a bit out of my price range. And this is dress-watches mostly, now I'm looking for something more casual.

  11. #10
    TLN
    TLN is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Chicago, USA
    Posts
    177

    Re: Dress diver or casual watch - help me choose.

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyhead123 View Post
    I suspect the Omegas may drop in price quite a bit over the next couple years as the co-axials move in and the "regular" Omegas become a really "old" model. They won't drop sub 1k (other than used), but they may drop to your "Out of range but who knows:" range.
    It's hard to predict, but in couple of years I might get Co-Axial instead, I'm looking at Planet Ocean 600M Omega Co-axial GMT 43.5 mm. This is listed in 1ts post as "wanna get" watch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 12
      Last Post: January 20th, 2013, 02:35
    2. ~$500 Dress/Casual Dress Watch
      By C.C. in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: December 16th, 2011, 01:48
    3. Replies: 17
      Last Post: August 27th, 2011, 20:49
    4. Replies: 6
      Last Post: December 31st, 2010, 02:02
    5. Helping me choose a dress watch and casual watch
      By laxexquis in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 25
      Last Post: January 23rd, 2009, 15:42

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •