Dress/Fashion Guidelines for Watches

Thread: Dress/Fashion Guidelines for Watches

Dress/Fashion Guidelines for Watches

Are there are any guidelines for the type of watch that should be worn with a certain outfit for men? For example, a digital sports watch (e.g.a Timex Ironman or a Polar heart rate monitor) does not exactly go with a suit.

I'm just looking for general guidelines regarding chronographs, metal watches, leather straps, etc. for these types of outfits:
    Business formal (e.g suit and tie)
    Business casual (e.g. buttoned-down shirt and khakis/dress pants)
    Casual (e.g. polo shirt and jeans)
    Summer (e.g. T-shirt and shorts)

I realize people will wear just about anything with anything, but I'm presuming there are some guidelines, right?

Re: Dress/Fashion Guidelines for Watches

Quote Originally Posted by chasro View Post
    Are there are any guidelines for the type of watch that should be worn with a certain outfit for men? For example, a digital sports watch (e.g.a Timex Ironman or a Polar heart rate monitor) does not exactly go with a suit.

I'm just looking for general guidelines regarding chronographs, metal watches, leather straps, etc. for these types of outfits:
    Business formal (e.g suit and tie)
    Business casual (e.g. buttoned-down shirt and khakis/dress pants)
    Casual (e.g. polo shirt and jeans)
    Summer (e.g. T-shirt and shorts)

I realize people will wear just about anything with anything, but I'm presuming there are some guidelines, right?
    There are definitely official and semi-official best practices out there. And on the other end of the spectrum there are many folks who subscribe to the "wear what you like" philosophy.

For me, my only guidelines are, don't wear something too delicate for jeans and too chunky for dress clothes (more because of fit with the dress shirt sleeve). Otherwise, it's all good.

(But my collection isn't super diverse to begin with.)
    BALL Trainmaster Cleveland Express
    ANONIMO Cronoscopio
    LACO Pilot B Miyota
    OMEGA Speedmaster 3510.21
    SEA-GULL 1963 Re-issue
    BREITLING Navitimer A13322
    FORTIS B42 Flieger Day/Date
    ANONIMO D-Date
    LOCMAN 1970
    BALL Engineer II Moon Glow

ANONIMO DINO ZEI Narvalo
    VOSTOK Amphibian
    OMEGA Speedmaster 3506.61.00
    BREITLING Sprint
    BENARUS Moray 4 - Model B

I would definately echo the great post made above by EC. There are some best practices like leather strpas go best with suits. However I find myself wearing whatever I want with suits or jeans these days. The only thing I can't do is try to manage a chunker underneath cuffs

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

One of the nice things about being a man is that fashion guidelines don't apply, at least not in my world. It's great to be king!

I am passing on this original post by Dace Member Join Date: May 2007

Re: Advice on a Dress watch
    If you are serious about getting a real dress watch and matching it with a suit, there are 4 dressing "do's" you should always remember.

1.) Your sock color should match your pant color.
    2.) Your shoe color should match your belt.
    3.) Your belt color should match the band on your watch.
    4.) And your belt buckle color should match the watch case.

Traditionally speaking wearing a metal band is a no-no with a suit regradless of what hollywood and some people might tell you. Same goes for chronographs. I know I know, there are plently of people here who do it and plenty of people around the world who do it. But that doesnt make it right. When wearing a suit the watch is there to tell time, not make a statement. And when you dress in a tux, you should not wear a watch at all.

Yes I think its not right when a person judges you on looks. But at the same time you can dress well and smartly with very little money. The details is where it matters. To me it shows pride when a person dresses well. Even more so when they do it on a budget.

Typically with a suit the watch should be fairly simple like the old Omega DeVille watches.

Dont get me wrong, I still wear watches with metal bands when I am dressed business casual at work (basically a suit without a tie or jacket).

I will try to put up examples later.

The sock/pant and the shoe/belt color I knew, but not the belt/watch match.

By that rule, every guy should have a black leather strap watch and a brown leather strap watch. Quite a bit of coordination, but I understand the logic for tying everything together. I do wonder, however, if the watch case should, by extension, match the ring. Seems logical that it would.

So is wearing any watch with a metal band technically out for a suit. even one that is not a chrono?

Yes, these are details and guy can wear whatever a guy wants. But, I'd still like knowing what the rules are.

The sock/pant and the shoe/belt color I knew, but not the belt/watch match.

By that rule, every guy should have a black leather strap watch and a brown leather strap watch. Quite a bit of coordination, but I understand the logic for tying everything together. I do wonder, however, if the watch case should, by extension, match the ring. ) Seems logical that it would. (Plus, since my wife is making me buy a new wedding band - I lost so much weight that the original one is sliding off my finger - it's probably useful to know.

So is wearing any watch with a metal band technically out for a suit. even one that is not a chrono?

Yes, these are details and guy can wear whatever a guy wants. But, I'd still like knowing what the rules are.
    Last edited by chasro; April 18th, 2010 at 06:32.

Search for kiwidj's post.... U will get the idea.
    Will (-.-")

2008: Omega Speedmaster pro 3572.50
    2008: Denissov Barracuda 31681 L.E. (088/500)
    2008: British Army W10 Smiths Military (Age: 1940-1969)
    2008: Leandri Italia auto/date by Locman
    2009: Philip Stein Sports Chrono
    2010: Vintage IWC c.89
    2010: Rolex Sub 16610LV (M series)
    2010: Vintage JLC k.882

Huge watches look odd with a suit.
    Chronographs and metal bands are fine. This is modern times, not the 30s. People now use their phones to tell time a lot (like digital pocket watches! haha).

Dive watches can be dressy, as can chronographs (Submariner, Speedmaster, etc.)

If it's super formal (like, white tie) wear a small watch on a black leather band and you'll be safe.

I'd say the only real rule I go by when wearing a watch with a suit (or even a sleeved button shirt) is that the watch should be thin enough to fit under the cuff. What kind of watch it is doesn't matter to me - I've seen some high up folks wear digitals with their suits and others wear bracelet watches - it never jumped out to me as being particularly lacking in class since the watch is there to tell the time, not look great - its way better than people not wearing a watch at all and always checking their cell phone.
    Lots of dive watches.

Thread Information