Dress Watch. Is it really necessary?
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Dress Watch. Is it really necessary?

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

So I am relatively new to the WIS thing and have been soaking up information from reading the forums. One of the things I have been reading about is how to round out my collection. I have a couple of divers, a sturdy beater and my pride and joy, a Speedy Pro.
    A lot from what I read here is that a real collection needs a dress watch. I've looked at some and while some look nice, I can't justify spending that much money on something I will wear a few times a year at most.
    I feel like the two or three times a year I wear my tux, the Speedy will be fine. From looking on here though, lots of people feel this is sacrilege. I think that wearing a multi-thousand dollar watch with anything should be fine. The color scheme of the Speedy I think especially works with formal wear.
    So what do you guys think? I justified the Speedy because I thought it could be an all-situation watch. But reading here has made me rethink this.
    Am I crazy? How many of you guys have a dedicated dress watch? Is one really necessary? Will my collection be truly complete without one?
    Mize likes this.

Wear what you like. 99% of the time no one will even see your watch beneath a shirt cuff and jacket sleeve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WnS, RBrylawski, John MS and 4 others like this.

Re: Dress Watch. Is it really necessary?

On the other hand, if you choose to buy a dress watch (and I encourage it), it need not be an expensive one.
    copperjohn likes this.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Speedy Pro is no dress watch but it looks amazing with just about anything. I wouldn't buy a dress watch just for the sake of rounding out your collection. Buy a dress watch if you find a piece you really, really like.

Don't buy a dress watch because others think you need one in your collection. Your Speedy is a great watch to wear for any occasion.
    copperjohn, megamustang and CCJ like this.

My first 5 years in watches I was ALL about divers. Maybe because I am getting older(39 now) I feel more comfortable with a dress watch at work. It fits under a shirt sleave better and is more professional.

I have really enjoyed adding dress watches to my collection and downsizing both the quantity and size of my divers.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S2
    My Watches:
    Seiko SBBN015 Tuna
    Seiko SBDC007 Shogun

Seiko SBDA001 Ti Black Samurai

Citizen BN0000 300M Ecodrive Prodiver

I personally didn't think a dress watch was necessary. I looked for a watch that I thought could be used in more than one situation, as I'm sure hundreds can be. Then my girlfriend bought me a true dress watch. Wear it with a shirt and tie and you'll understand. You might be the only one who knows what you're wearing but the feeling of the combination is worth it.
    Bwana1 and atomb like this.
    Rolex Submariner, Tag Heuer Monaco, Mido Multifort, Christopher Ward C5 Malvern MkII, Seiko Mini Turtle

You can spend '000's on lots of watches that would look out of place/dumb with formal wear.

The speedy is a pretty good all rounder.

It would not be considered a dress watch however. You should only bother yourself about that if you actually want a dress watch.

I personally work in a very formal environment and it would bother me if I didn't wear a dress watch when I wear a suit and tie - I'm confident it would not register with anyone else, but I would feel odd.
    Last edited by Coler; March 18th, 2013 at 03:12.
    MZhammer likes this.

You don't need to be wearing a tux to be wearing a dress watch. In fact, a tux is almost too dressy for a watch at all.

Anytime you're wearing leather shoes and a leather belt is enough to be wearing a dress watch for me. Why not mix it up a bit? The Speedy will look good in a lot of situations, but not all. Isn't this what being a WIS is all about?

You can always just not wear a watch in situations when you feel like you need a dress watch. You can use your own judgement about times when it would be fine to wear a Speedy Pro when you're otherwise dressed up all purdy. But, don't just assume that it will always be appropriate. Just because most people won't notice and some people won't care, doesn't mean that you won't be potentially looking foolish or thoughtless to the remainder. Of course, if you don't care what other people think, then none of this matters in the first place. But, in that case, why would you even ask?
    I think that wearing a multi-thousand dollar watch with anything should be fine.
    This just makes no sense. I'm sure you can think of plenty of very expensive clothes or jewelry that would not be "fine" for formal occasions. Value does not equal formality.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information