Dress watch redundancy?
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Dress watch redundancy?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Dress watch redundancy?

So I've built up my collection over the last few years -- about a dozen pieces, mostly sport watches and some complications from a handful of brands. But I have these two rose gold dress watches (yes, I know they both look yellow in the pictures; it's the lighting), and am trying to decide if they're too similar -- and if so, whether I should get rid of one of them (i.e., the Omega). Figured I would pitch it to the folks here and see what you think.

I picked up this vintage Omega Seamaster (17400) about 2.5 years ago after my first work trip abroad, from that same country (so it has some sentimental value). It's plated, but is in incredible condition, and I think it wears well (35mm). I got an extract from the archives, and it dates to 1960 and was sold in Yemen, which I think is pretty cool.

Name:  hHBOXBN.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  133.8 KB

The Patek Philippe Calatrava (3796R) came along about a year ago, when I wanted to get a solid (and not plated) piece in the collection. It was a great deal at the right time, and came with the box and papers. It's in a whole league of its own, and even though it is small (31mm), I think I can pull it off. I tried the modern version (5196R), and even though the diameter on that watch is 37mm, I think it just wears too large.

Name:  fCZPckv.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  112.9 KB

The thing is, in passing, they are both quite similar -- modest, rose gold dress watches on brown straps. On closer inspection, there are some subtle and distinct differences -- case size and shape, dial color (the Omega is more of a champagne, whereas the Patek is more of a silver), second hand (center on the Omega, sub on the Patek), and batons (onyx on the Omega, gold on the Patek).

Name:  2tog32V.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  177.2 KB

So, what do you say? Are they distinct enough to keep both? Or should I get rid of the vintage Seamaster?

Re: Dress watch redundancy?

Definitely keep the Patek. If you can afford to keep both watches then keep the omega as well. If not, then let it go and get something a bit different.

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk
    Rolex Explorer II 216570
    Panerai
    PAM 112
    Rolex Two-Tone Datejust
    Omega Constellation C-Shape Vintage
    Anonimo D-Date II
    Concord Impresario
    Seiko Sumo
    Casio MDV106

I would keep both but if "under the gun" I would sell the Omega as it's plated and only work related sentiment, also I like the curve of the lugs much better on the other watch. You can keep the 3 cents!

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk
    VaEagle likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Do you wear the Omega? That would be the biggest question I’d be asking myself in a “buy or sell” conundrum.
    Tag Heuer Carrera Day Date ref WAR201E Tag Heuer Carrera Twin Time ref WV2116 Tag Heuer Formula 1 ref WAZ2114 Tag Heuer Carrera Jack Heuer 81 ref CV5111Omega Speedmaster Tintin ref 311.30.42.30.01.004Omega Seamaster 300m ref 212.30.41.20.01.002
    Omega Planet Ocean 600m ref 232.32.46.21.01.005 Tudor Heritage Black Bay Black ref 79230N Rolex Submariner ref 114060 Rolex Explorer I Mk1 ref 214270 Eterna Kontiki ref 1220.41 Longines Legend Diver no date ref L3.674.456.2 Laco Cuxhaven ​ref. 862104

+1 Keep the Patek. They are both classic beauties, but I would let go of the plated Omega. I find both too redundant.
    VaEagle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller Time II View Post
    Do you wear the Omega? That would be the biggest question I’d be asking myself in a “buy or sell” conundrum.
    I do, but I also rotate my watches in a pretty consistent/organized manner, trying to wear each one a couple of times a month.

I'd keep the patek too.
    Both are too similar, and the patek is solid vs plated, and I like the sub seconds.
    It all depends on whether you use them or not in the end...

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

The Patek is, well, a Patek, and thus far less common than old Seamasters. That, along with the “name appeal” (if that matters to you) justifies keeping the Patek.

That Omega, though, appears to be a more legible watch and is in a more “wearable” size.

If it were me I’d keep both. If you feel like you need to shed one, keep the Patek and send me the Omega for a very modest price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jetguy87 likes this.

If you’d like to keep both, sure there’s enough distinction between the two to warrant having both.

Do you have other dress watches? It sounds like your core/daily wear watches are sport watches, so how often do you wear the dress watches? Are there “dress watch occasions” in which you wouldn’t wear the Patek? The Omega?

I think it really comes down to you. Is a legitimate “hole” in your collection created by the departure of either of the watches? Or can the remaining watch happily take over those duties?

I would never wear the Omega if I had the Patek, so for me, pretty simple--the Omega goes.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information