Dress watch suggestions ~$1000
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Dress watch suggestions ~$1000

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Dress watch suggestions ~$1000

So I am looking for some suggestions on a dress watch. The usage of this will be for of course formal outings where I will be in a black suit and tie but I'd also like to be able to wear it to work. Work I will say is casual to business casual (a lot of people think this concept is evil I know) what this means to me is from shorts and a tee shirt to khakis and a polo shirt. So I would like to every once and a while wear it to work when wearing khakis and a polo shirt even if the watch is a bit too dressy for that normally. Now I have done a lot of research on this and tried searching but I haven't found what I would consider to be the perfect watch. Below is my criteria.

• <= ~$1000
    • Manual - hand wind
    • Sapphire crystal both front and back. I would like a nicely decorated movement.
    • Relatively small <= 39mm but I believe I wouldn't want to go any smaller than 34mm.
    • Thin <= 10.5 mm thickness
    • No arabic or roman numerals. I do still want ticks to show the hour divisions.
    • Second hand either full size or small
    • Black leather strap
    • No day / date - although if there is a very clean / simple date on it I could maybe let this slide.

Now the Stowa Antea KS (photo below from Stowa) is almost exactly what I want.
    Name:  Antea-KS-weiss-1.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  82.8 KB

The problem is I really prefer no arabic numerals as I believe this makes a much cleaner look plus I have a flieger already on order and if I was going to order an Antea as well I would need to wait a long time and I would prefer to get the flieger before ordering another Stowa. I know their have been times that Stowa has made some limited edition Antea's without arabic numerals but not sure if any have manual and I haven't seen any for sale. I am open to second hand but I think I want to stay away from vintage.

Of course Nomos would fit into everything I have stated except for the cost, plus I would like to try it on before hand and I don't believe any B&M retailers exist in Canada for Nomos.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Shieze; June 21st, 2013 at 20:46. Reason: Added one more detail.
    Stowa Antea KS silver
    Stowa Flieger without logo
    Seiko SNP007 Kinetic Perpetual (Gone)

v76

Re: Dress watch suggestions ~$1000

Mido Baroncelli manual wind ...

(borrowed images)

Peseux 7001 movement and a nice classic size dress watch.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

A pre-loved Movadio Mueseum will tick most of your boxes, and stay in your budget - even in gold. The only reason I suggest pre-loved is because you want a hand-cranker, and I don't think they still use manual movements (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The styling has moved less than an inch in decades though, so you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between and old one and a new one.

Name:  2003MuseumAutomatic.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  75.6 KB
    Influence is like the wind...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by v76 View Post
    Mido Baroncelli manual wind ...

(borrowed images)

Peseux 7001 movement and a nice classic size dress watch.
    This has roman numerals. When looking through their online collection I didn't see anything with only dashes and that was manual. I wish their watch finder gave options for movements.

Quote Originally Posted by CADstraps View Post
    A pre-loved Movadio Mueseum will tick most of your boxes, and stay in your budget - even in gold. The only reason I suggest pre-loved is because you want a hand-cranker, and I don't think they still use manual movements (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The styling has moved less than an inch in decades though, so you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between and old one and a new one.

Name:  2003MuseumAutomatic.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  75.6 KB
    Sorry I am not a fan of museum pieces. I added to my original post that I want dashes still for hour markings.
    Stowa Antea KS silver

v76

I overlooked the no Roman numerals criteria ... How about this Epos ref. 3408?

(borrowed image)

It retails for over $1000, but might duck under with a decent discount (I've seen one on the 'bay for about $1000).
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

It seems like the Nomos Orion would be about exactly what you are looking for. Unfortunately, it is considerably more than your price range. If you have some flexibility in your budget, you might see if you can find one preowned (try German ebay). I really like the looks of that Epos.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Quote Originally Posted by v76 View Post
    I overlooked the no Roman numerals criteria ... How about this Epos ref. 3408?

(borrowed image)

It retails for over $1000, but might duck under with a decent discount (I've seen one on the 'bay for about $1000).
    This is a very nice looking watch but unfortunately it seems hard to buy. They do not seem to have many ADs nor many good online sites selling them. I would love to try this piece on to see how it fits on my wrist.
    Stowa Antea KS silver

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    It seems like the Nomos Orion would be about exactly what you are looking for. Unfortunately, it is considerably more than your price range. If you have some flexibility in your budget, you might see if you can find one preowned (try German ebay). I really like the looks of that Epos.
    Yes the Nomos Orion would be a nice watch, but out of the budget. My other concern is for service it would need to go back to Nomos as it is an in-house movement unless I am confused.
    Stowa Antea KS silver

Have you thought about Christopher Ward? You could come in under budget and they make beautiful pieces in the 38-40mm criteria with exhibition casebacks and Swiss automatic movements. The only question in your criteria that they may not satisfy is the ability to hand wind. It might be worth a look however.
    Name:  photo(8).JPG
Views: 623
Size:  106.9 KB
    Last edited by 2013dcflyer; June 21st, 2013 at 23:48.

Quote Originally Posted by 2013dcflyer View Post
    Have you thought about Christopher Ward? You could come in under budget and they make beautiful pieces in the 38-40mm criteria with exhibition casebacks and Swiss automatic movements. The only question in your criteria that they may not satisfy is the ability to hand wind. It might be worth a look however.
    Name:  photo(8).JPG
Views: 623
Size:  106.9 KB
    I really want hand wind for this watch.
    Stowa Antea KS silver

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information