dress watches with inhouse movement under 4k? - Page 4
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: dress watches with inhouse movement under 4k?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Raketa Yalta. In house right down to the hairspring and balance assembly.

Yalta 0022 - RAKETA SHOP
    An interesting watch and I really like the Russian stuff, but in my opinion, a mineral glass crystal is inexcusable at this price.

Re: dress watches with inhouse movement under 4k?

Not one you will see on too many wrists, the Martin Braun Classic with in house movement
    Name:  DSC00998.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  46.1 KB
    Name:  DSC01006-1.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  38.6 KB
    CitizenM likes this.
    Caveat lector

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonChris View Post
    An interesting watch and I really like the Russian stuff, but in my opinion, a mineral glass crystal is inexcusable at this price.
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest. In fact the 1960 edition would likely have had some sort of acrylic crystal.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by v76 View Post
    The Zenith cal. 6xx (670-center seconds, 680-sub-seconds) won the award for best thin movement when it was introduced in 1994. Since then, it has quietly gained its own following despite being overshadowed by its illustrious sibling, the El Primero. The cal. 680 and variants are the thinnest modern automatic movements (3.28mm thick with the cal. 680) with bi-directional winding and date (quickset, both backwards and forward). The movements apart from being reliable and accurate is also very nicely decorated with a power reserve of 55 hours. What's not to like??
    Well I'm sold. I want a captain moonphase/bigdate NOW. If I just had another $5000 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by mdapper14 View Post
    why is seiko so popular these days?
    Because the Seikos still made in Japan are virtually 100% made in-house, down to the lubricant.
    Also, they don't try to capitalize on some phony nationalistic sense of self-worth with outrageous prices and generic movement ébauches.
    Also, they have the same horological history to them as do many of the "grand" Swiss brands.
    Also, they keep pushing watch innovation and evolution like no other (real, practical innovation; not "let's see who can make the most exclusive watch with the most complications just for the sake of making the most exclusive watch with the most complications")
    Last edited by jikot; February 18th, 2012 at 12:52.
    Coler and GregoryD like this.

v76

That Raketa is lovely, Ray!
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Way should it be inhouse?

Quote Originally Posted by v76 View Post
    That Raketa is lovely, Ray!
    The Raketa story is an interesting one.
    They are based in St. Petersburg in the oldest operating factory in Russia. Raketa as a watch goes back to the late 1940s but the factory made jewelry for close to 250 years before that.
    Raketa has always made everything in-house including the balance assembly.
    After the fall of the Soviet union the company was put into bankruptcy to extract its extensive real estate holdings from its balance sheet. The actual watchmaking kept going though although it was greatly reduced. They still had some government contracts to keep them going
    A few years ago it was decided to restore the watchmaking operation to its former glory and a couple of highly placed Swiss factory managers came in to improve the operation. Raketa has a huge collection of design drawings dating back over 60 years, so they can reproduce watches like the Yalta in a modern size and with better case materials. They decided to continue to produce their own calibers instead of switching to a Swiss or Japanese movement. They have started a new watchmaking school - the first in Russia in some time.
    They are just getting started with Marketing and to be honest I don't know how successful they will be. They are considerably more expensive than they used to be but hopefully the improved quality counts for something.
    With the demise of Maktime and Molnija, only Vostok and Raketa appear to be able to maintain production of Russian calibers. Now is probably a good time to start a small collection of Russian watches while you still can.
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; February 18th, 2012 at 15:52.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

v76

Thank you for that info./bit of history, Ray. You might be right, this is probably a good time to get into Russian watches.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by drunken monkey
    no?
    My grail watch...... :o

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information