Driver gets Ticket for checking Smart Watch at Traffic Light
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Driver gets Ticket for checking Smart Watch at Traffic Light

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Driver gets Ticket for checking Smart Watch at Traffic Light

Excerpted from link below:

"Victoria Ambrose was found guilty of breaking Ontario's distracted driving law."

"In court, Ms Ambrose said she looked at the watch to find out the time.

This claim was rejected by the judge who said smartwatches were a distraction as much as a "cellphone taped to someone's wrist".

"Ms Ambrose also argued that because the watch was worn on her wrist it was subject to an exemption in the Ontario law which covers devices that are "securely mounted".

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44355154
    "Hide not your talents, they for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?" -Ben Franklin
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

Re: Driver gets Ticket for checking Smart Watch at Traffic Light

Well deserved. A citation for, at least, bad taste...
    "Time isn't the main thing. It is the only thing!" - Miles Davis

I have found that some people just like to hear themselves typing.

Friends don't let friends buy G-Schlocks.

You think I'm condescending...?? Do you even know what that means... ??

Every time God closes one door... I open a bottle of bourbon.

¹ I have learned that you have to put a smiley face or LOL behind anything just so people don't take you too seriously.

Oh boy... "I was just checking the time." Another article states there was a bit more to the story: "Victoria Ambrose was stopped at a red light on South Ring Road in Guelph in April when a University of Guelph police officer, beside her in his cruiser, noticed the glow of an electronic device. The officer testified he saw her looking up and down about four times, court heard. When the light turned green, two cars in front of Ambrose promptly moved forward but she remained stationary until the cop shone a light into her car and she began to drive, court heard."

?A cellphone taped to someone?s wrist:? Woman looking at Apple Watch found guilty of distracted driving | National Post

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's possible to hate smartwatches and government overreach at the same time.

The distracted driving problem is real, but the legal reactions to it are usually unhelpful at best. Looking at your watch/smartwatch is far less distracting than working the radio and that has been allowed everywhere for decades.
    David G. likes this.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

Given that my daughter wears an Apple Watch so she can sly a look at the texts from my grandkids while she is on the shop floor I don’t doubt that the Canadian lady could indeed have been reading a text as was claimed.
    falcon4311 likes this.

Smart watches are only as smart as the person wering them. In this case a not so smart watch.

Quote Originally Posted by OvrSteer View Post

The distracted driving problem is real, but the legal reactions to it are usually unhelpful at best. Looking at your watch/smartwatch is far less distracting than working the radio and that has been allowed everywhere for decades.
    Yet, I've never seen anyone sitting through a green light adjusting the station on their radio.

And to keep this somewhat on topic, here's a picture of a watch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

vkalia and mharris660 like this.

Dumb watch now?
    Current collection. Ingersoll Apache, Hamilton Jazzmaster Auto Chrono, Invicta 0070 Pro Diver, Invicta Pro Diver 15503, Breitling Transocean Chronograph, Panerai Radiomir PAM00388

Sold: Rolex Datejust 16013
    Sold: Chopard LUC 1937 Classic

Quote Originally Posted by OvrSteer View Post

Really? A smart watch shows a LOT more info (or more available info) than the dial of a radio. Unless you're going back to the 80s, most radios have been digital for decades with seek and scan buttons and I will bet 99% of the time the person working the radio is *listening* rather than looking and stops when a song comes on they like. Otherwise they're just moving from preset to preset. And all that I've just mentioned can now be done from the steering wheel on many (if not most) cars. I've personally experienced what happens when one is dicking around with a smartphone, and that was for the car to veer off toward either center lane or the shoulder. I learned very early how dangerous they are and won't check texts while driving, phone calls I can take and make while hooked up bluetooth. And not to put too fine a point on it but I've cut out a number of people involved in a crash that either admitted or were later found to have been, distracted. Most suffered only minor injuries, the flaming ones are harder to determine. And I've called 911 numerous times while driving, following a car that was either distracted or drunk (and texting/eyes off the road is very much like drunk driving with regard to attention and reaction times). So yeah, legal reactions are WELL deserved and helpful. To think otherwise is either naive or sovereign citizen nonsense.
    p.s. Cutting out a dead person, either from their own distraction or the result of another driver sucks. Do that a few times and then tell me how "...unhelpful..." legal reactions are. Dare ya
    http://veteranswatchmakerinitiative.org/
    Training Combat Disabled Vets to become Watchmakers
    https://www.gofundme.com/VWIBulova

^^^^. That.

As a road cyclist, I'd love to see far more stringent penalties on people using cell phones when driving.

It would be interesting to see reaction times of someone who is just over the legal limit for alcohol VS someome who is texting.

Sent from my SM-C900F using Tapatalk
    rfortson, ffritz, Brey17 and 5 others like this.
    Core: ALS 1815 Up/Down, AP RO, Breguet Marine, Blancpain FF MilSpec, JLC Master Geo, GO Panomatic, Rolex BLRO, Panerai 688, Rolex Exp2 polar, Cartier Santos XL ADLC, Zenith El Primero tricolor, [Empty Slot]
    Secondary: Oris Brashear chrono, Oris 65/42 green, Oris 65/40mm, Oris 65 bronze, Rado Capt Cook LE, Seiko Prospex Padi, Doxa 1200T Pro
    Others
    :Tissot T-Touch Expert, Swatch S51, Seagull 1963, Sturmanskie Yuri Gagarin, Fortis Marine Master, G-Shock GMW-B500
    FS: Seiko Orange Monster Gen2, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard, Squale Milsub
    Gone: Tudor Chrono Heritage, Hamilton Khaki Field, B&R03-92, Seiko SKX007, Orient Sun&Moon, Seagull M172S, Rado Vintage Diver, Hamilton Pan Europ, Orient Mako, Meistersinger Pangaea, IWC Aquatimer, PAM 24, JR Aquascope, Tudor BB Black, Longines Legend Diver, PAM 241, Bernhardt Anchor3, WUS GMT watch, Damasko DB2, Helson Shark Diver, Seiko 5, Ventus Mori Brass, Glycine Airman, Eterna Kon-Tiki, Zelos Gallant, Sinn 103 A sa B, Oris 65/42 blue

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information