Dropped my watch about 50 cm (1.6 ft) to a ceramic floor... Ouch
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Dropped my watch about 50 cm (1.6 ft) to a ceramic floor... Ouch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dropped my watch about 50 cm (1.6 ft) to a ceramic floor... Ouch

Hey guys, this is the first time in my life that my watch has fallen to the floor. There wasnt noise neither I have noticed any time changes aesthetic or in time keeping but boy did it Hurt. It didnt happened in my life, even with my previous G Shocks.

My oris 65 (sellita sw 200-1) has fallen to my ceramic floor, the crystal facing to the floor, about 1.6 ft (19 inches) or 50 cm, It wasnt a forceful shock, it didnt dinged anything and it was a short distance, but I would want advice if I should go to a watch repairman to check any damage, or if Im overreacting since this is the first time that this happened to me.

This happened the friday On the morning, so far is working as always has been, but I dont know if with time it will show any sign of the little fall.

Does it happened to you that your watch dropped and it worked as always? Im sorry in advance if I am stubborn, im a total noob with mechanical watches and really OCD, so maybe I overreact.

Thanks in advance and God bless you

Re: Dropped my watch about 50 cm (1.6 ft) to a ceramic floor... Ouch

Dont worry.Just keep an eye on your watch and if its keeping time - everything is fine.

Good watches build with shockproofing in mind, dont worry and enjoy your watch.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    ffritz and rfortson like this.

I wouldn’t sweat it. They’re made to suffer a certain amount of abuse and most likely it didn’t suffer a direct blow (C.G. directly in line with point of impact) so linear velocity becomes angular & back before it finally settles to a stop.

While I don’t make a habit of dropping my watches, my worst accident (SW200-1, counter height, hardwood floor) resulted in the watch stopping until I opened it and untangled the hairspring. That was three years ago & it still runs fine.
    ffritz and Synequano like this.
    If it's a good meter, it's a Fluke.
    Hang my self when I get enough rope. (It's a Tubes lyric, from the mid 70's; song's called "White Punks on Dope". Enough said?)
    The difference between 12 and 21 is dyslexia.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for your time and responses! Yes, I think it will be fine, im going to test it. Doesnt seems to have the hairspring stuck since it keeps good time so far. But my fear, as im a noob, is the possibility of something broken

My Seiko SKX came off while riding my bicycle. Hit the pavement at about 15mph. I think I can attribute a few of its many scratches to the incident, but timekeeping has been unaffected.
    Seiko Divers: SBDX017, SKX173
    G-Shock Squares: GMW-B5000D-1, GWF-D1000B, GW-M5610

It's not advice you asked for but I always don or doff watches over a counter where my watchbox is. Worst case senario it falls 1 foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Chessboxin View Post
    Hey guys, this is the first time in my life that my watch has fallen to the floor. There wasnt noise neither I have noticed any time changes aesthetic or in time keeping but boy did it Hurt. It didnt happened in my life, even with my previous G Shocks.

My oris 65 (sellita sw 200-1) has fallen to my ceramic floor, the crystal facing to the floor, about 1.6 ft (19 inches) or 50 cm, It wasnt a forceful shock, it didnt dinged anything and it was a short distance, but I would want advice if I should go to a watch repairman to check any damage, or if Im overreacting since this is the first time that this happened to me.

This happened the friday On the morning, so far is working as always has been, but I dont know if with time it will show any sign of the little fall.

Does it happened to you that your watch dropped and it worked as always? Im sorry in advance if I am stubborn, im a total noob with mechanical watches and really OCD, so maybe I overreact.
    Relax. That's exactly why movements have a shock protection. If it works as it should, it's fine.

The most common thing to happen due to a shock is that the regulation gets slightly off, so that the daily rate changes by some seconds. If your Oris continues to show good performance, there's nothing to worry about. Modern mechanical movements are very tough. Just to see what would happen, I recently dropped a super cheap Chinese automatic dress watch onto the tile floor in my bathroom from 1m height. Nothing happened, so I did it five times in a row. It still went on ticking as if nothing had happened. According to the timegrapher, the regulation got screwed a little, but that's it. No other signs of damage whatsoever. If that super cheap movement could stand it, your Oris can definitely do it, too. In my experience it's easier to dent the case on the outside than to damage the movement inside.

So relax. Mechanical watches are tough little beasts.

Edit: there was a poll here some years ago which came out with exactly the same result.

-> https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/hav...al-902161.html

Name:  08-07-_2019_09-41-47.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  59.1 KB
    Last edited by ffritz; 1 Week Ago at 09:42.
    Synequano likes this.

Just inspect if it’s running fine, ie. not extremely fast nor slow. Also see if the hand stacks are all normal. I dropped two of my watches from roughly the same height, and both had to go to service. My Sturmanskie ran extremely slow, about 30 minutes per day slow. And my Hamilton got its minute hand somehow displaced, making it spins freely.
    IG: @wtma
    ---
    CASIO G-SHOCK GMW-B5000-1 PRO TREK PRT-4000T-7A PRT-4000T-7B
    SEIKO PROSPEX MARINEMASTER PROFESSIONAL SBBN007
    GLYCINE AIRMAN VINTAGE 1953 LE 3904.14/66AIRMAN DC-4 3904.19H24/66
    DAMASKO LARGE AVIATOR MANUFACTORY CALIBRE DK15

TUDOR HERITAGE BLACK BAY 36 M79500-0004
    OMEGA SPEEDMASTER PROFESSIONAL MOONWATCH 311.30.42.30.01.006

JAEGER-LECOULTRE GRANDE REVERSO ULTRA THIN DUOFACE Q3788570 (GRAIL)

I’ve only ever dropped two watches. The first was a G Shock and it just bounced (I’m sure I heard it laugh just after it hit) and the other was an auto that fell in slow motion. No damage was done but the long fall to the floor certainly did my heart no good.

Nice that your watch did not show any issues after the accident. But even in such case it still hurts to read.

In my case I've only dropped my G-Shock twice, and twice it simply bounced as a ball due hitting the strap :lol:
    Hamilton Khaki Navy Scuba H823350 (H-10) | Junghans Max Bill Handaufzug 027/3701.00 (J805.1 /ETA 2801-2) | Casio GW-M5610 (Tough Solar 3159)
    & Pocket Watch ca. 1880-1933 (Cylindre 10 Rubis/Jewels).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information