Dropped watch. Let my story be a warning to others...
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Dropped watch. Let my story be a warning to others...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Dropped watch. Let my story be a warning to others...

As I was putting on a watch, I must have let go for a split second while moving my right hand to the tang buckle. Next thing I know, the watch drops to the ground--and is dead. It had cost me about $1,200 to buy.

The next day, I took it to a repair shop, and I got a call today (a week later) with an estimate for the repair. Or... is it still a "repair" if, as the repair shop guy said it, the watch needs and will get "a complete movement service?" It sounds like an overhaul to me. Which, incidentally, will cost me $720. It took less than a second for the $720 accident to happen. I briefly thought about "alternatives" but realized I had none. If I don't repair the watch, then its value is zero.

But this story has a happy twist: I had an insurance policy on the watch. I've filed a claim and they wanted me to attach the estimate, so I asked the repair shop to provide it. The policy cost me $25 a year, and if I'm looking at the silver lining here, well, that watch was going to need an overhaul service anyway, right? Better that the insurance pays for it.

Here are some lessons learned.

1) INSURE YOUR WATCH. I'm well aware that any insurance policy (unless the insurer has a ...... actuary) works against your interest, because the cost of the policy is the risk plus insurer's profit. But at a certain price point, you're buying peace of mind.
    2) Deployant buckles. This accident has turned me off tang buckles, because it would have been avoided completely if I had deployant buckles instead. In addition to helping your strap last longer, I think a deployant buckle will reduce the probability of a drop. In a tang buckle, the watch goes from "an object resting on your wrist; hope you have a good grip on it with the other hand!" to "tight bracelet." With a deployant buckle, the watch goes from "a very loose bracelet" to "tight bracelet." Less likely to drop it that way; even if your other hand misses it, it will hang on your wrist rather than falling to the ground.
    3) Be discerning about where you put on your watch. From now on I'm going to be sitting down. That way, even if I drop it, it will fall a few inches, not a few feet.
    41Mets, maylebox and Jep Cabestany like this.

Re: Dropped watch. Let my story be a warning to others...

Good advice about the insurance. It's always a good thing to check with your homeowner's policy to see if they cover watches. But a homeowner's policy also usually carries a substantial deductible.

I put on my watches in my walk-in closet, which has a rug. Dropping onto the rug is far less traumatic than onto a hard surface. The other answer is G-Shock.
    Last edited by MissileExpert; August 2nd, 2019 at 02:22.
    scooby and schumacher62 like this.

I stand over my bed whenever I put on a watch with a tang buckle. That is my safety net against that exact accident described by @cjongmin. Takes one accident like this to teach one an expensive lesson.

Yes, of course it is good to have an insurance but prevention is better than cure. I will never view a repaired watch the same way again...
    Nokie, drdas007, scooby and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The same thing happened when the screw-rivet backed out on my bracelet on a Seiko, granted I only paid $300 for the watch, the cost to repair was more than the watch. Needless to say I did not repair the watch.

I'm more concerned about the repair shop taking a week to reply to you and then saying it needs "a complete movement service" and trying to charge you 3 times the cost of most off-the-shelf movements at that price range of watch.
    What's up with that? Sounds like shenanigans to me.
    My local watchmaker would tell me exactly what was broken and send me a photo of the opened case to my phone.
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour être heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

Ugh, tough one. I think we all feel your pain. Unfortunately, it’s one of those things that happens to most of us at some point. If we’re lucky, it happens once and we learn. My lesson came from a Bremont, in the bathroom over porcelain tile. Nasty little ding on the bezel. I swore, a lot, and then swore I’d put everything on a deployant. Alas...that particular oath didn’t take, as I have trouble finding comfortable deployant clasps. However, I do make it a practice to only strap ‘em on over carpet.

Thirty five years of watch collecting this has yet to occur with me. Proper care and due diligence prevents $720 repair bills. Insurance optional.
    Nokie, DiverBob, twincity and 1 others like this.

I had a similar issue with an Omega I used to wear back then. Now I do stuffs like that on the sofa or bed, that way I can avoid accidents like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by TwentiethCenturyFox View Post
    Thirty five years of watch collecting this has yet to occur with me. Proper care and due diligence prevents $720 repair bills. Insurance optional.
    Lol, ballsy statement. ‘Round these parts folks would say you just done cursed yourself something fierce....and the boys at the barber shop would be offering 5:1 odds that you drop one by tomorrow night.

But seriously, to have never accidentally dropped a watch in 35 years? Very impressive.
    scooby likes this.

I left one of my favourite chronos on the arm of the sofa. My dad visited and knocked it onto the rather hard floor. A week later I noticed it was losing lots of time, turned out it would only work at certain angles. Fortunately the bill was significantly lower than yours...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast