Dropped watch need advice
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dropped watch need advice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dropped watch need advice

So a few weeks back I knocked my Hamilton khaki mechanical watch off the bathroom counter after a shower. It was a hard fall and after seeing similar threads here I feared for the worse. When I picked it up I was relieved to see that the crystal was fine and the second hand still running, but on further inspection the date wheel was between dates. I was a bit worried but I just reset the date and left it on my dresser, it kept time fine while I was at work but over night the date never changed. After another day everything seemed fine and I eventually let it run down and put it back in the rotation. I wore the watch a few times with no issues then one day I went to check the time and noticed it was 25 minutes slow, then I noticed it wasn't running. After I reset the time it started back up and continued to run fine for a few more days. But now it has stopped running again and is stuck fully wound and I can't get it to run.

My questions are; does anyone know what could be wrong? Could it be an easy fix? If it needs professional help how much would it run me? Is it worth putting the money into a watch I got for $250 a couple years ago?

Name:  IMG_0174.JPG
Views: 522
Size:  139.0 KB

It's a great little watch, one of my favorite casual wears. It has a hand-wind eta 2801 movement if that makes a difference.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
    JP71624 likes this.

Re: Dropped watch need advice

You should have pulled out the crown and taken it to a watchmaker. I fear your grinding parts and maybe ruining the mechanism by letting it run. Only way to tell what needs fixing and what the repair cost will be, is to take it to a watchmaker anyway.
    Last edited by T1meout; August 29th, 2014 at 07:16.

Open it up and have a look :)

Why not?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes...Watchmaker, not a jewelry store....Good luck, I hope it's a cheap repair.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Agree on the watchmaker and not a jewelry, as they don't usually charge you anything for opening the watch and giving you a quote for the work to do.
    Good luck.

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 8500
    Breitling B-1 A68062
    Sinn 142 St Lemania 5100
    Sinn 757 UTC
    Sinn 103 A Sa
    Damasko DC66
    Fortis B-42 Cosmonauts Chronograph Titanium
    Bell & Ross Type Aeronavale Sapphire Chronograph
    Seiko SNZG13J
    Poljot Sturmanskie 3133

This.

Quote Originally Posted by little big feather View Post
    Yes...Watchmaker, not a jewelry store....Good luck, I hope it's a cheap repair.

Not this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ev13wt View Post
    Open it up and have a look :) Why not?
    Last edited by John MS; August 29th, 2014 at 16:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilby View Post
    Does anyone know what could be wrong?
    I'll tell you what's wrong: it's broken. A broken watch can still run, but that doesn't mean that it should. You should have stopped the mechanism as soon as the drop happened and had it repaired by a proper watchmaker. Assuming it's fine and continuing to wear it is asking for trouble. Parts of the movement are finer than a human hair, others smaller than a pinhead. Does it sound like something that can survive a fall onto a bathroom floor unscathed? No.
    Current Collection:
    Rotary, Adina, Emporio Armani, Loyal, Swatch, Ingersoll, Cyma and others...

The Wanted List:
    Citizen NB0030-01A

Realistically Achievable Grails:
    Breguet 5817 Marine Big Date
    Grand Seiko STGR003

Holy Grails:
    Breguet 5617 Perpetual Calendar Chronograph

Take it to a watchmaker, tell him what has happened, and get a quote for fixing it.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Take it to a watchmaker, tell him what has happened, and get a quote for fixing it.
    While waiting for quote start looking for new "favorite casual wearer". Not trying to be 'the voice of doom' but the 'voice of experience'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Since it only cost you $250 (and its value may be somewhat less than that), and it will probably cost at least $100 for someone to repair it, it's not worth spending 50% or more of its value to fix it. Here's what I would do. I would put it up for auction on eBay, and of course fully disclose its condition. Someone will scoop it up. You might be surprised how much people are willing to pay for broken items. Some use it for parts, some may fix it themselves, and some may even just want something to tinker with. Then take the proceeds, along with what you would have spent on repair, and put that towards another watch. On a side note, this is the reason I don't buy affordable mechanicals. I'd hate to have this dilemma every time it needs maintenance or repair. Therefore all of my affordables are quartz. My more expensive pieces are mechanicals, but then I won't be in the situation of spending 50% or more of its worth on service.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information