Due to health reasons debating whether to wear two watches
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Due to health reasons debating whether to wear two watches

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I always thought people that wear two watches were a bit silly, I am sure there might be those that can justify doing so because of their line of work but for someone like myself I would consider it ridiculous. Now, at least for myself, things have changed and maybe I should not have been so judgemental.
    I am not a fan of Apple watches but I have been dealing with ongoing heart problems for a couple years now. I have decided on purchasing an Apple watch later this year that has the capability of performing EKGs and monitoring your heart condition, now this is not a gimmick or a sales pitch, but a working feature that provides actual and real data that can be recorded in order to provide your cardiologist with results.
    I try to be proactive I walk five miles every other day, changed my diet, lost 50 lbs in the last couple years but I still have my bad days. This apple watch could be a life-saving option for myself and others, EKG results can vary at different times, and while EKGs are usually consistent there can be fluctuations that are not always caught especially when you only have it done periodically at the doctor's office. The watch can also trend data and analyze when both EKG and pulse rates are out of normal range and you are about to have a heart attack. I guess now if I ever want to wear the watches I own I will have to get used to wearing two watches.
    watchcrank likes this.

Re: Due to health reasons debating whether to wear two watches

As one who has had a heat attack in the past, I can sympathize and appreciate your insight. Good on you for changing your lifestyle to try and mitigate any future cardio issues. I have a question, though. Every EKG I've received had multiple electrodes placed on different parts of my body. Since the Apple Watch is only on your wrist, how accurate is the EKG and are there any limitations compared to an office EKG?
    TgeekB, watchcrank and rob_honer like this.

Enjoy your watches as you always have and regard the monitor as a tool, I doubt any-one will even notice.

Most of all enjoy life and best of health for the future.
    If I fail to reply to your inane post just assume you are on the ignore list.

I bought a knackered clock.... https://carlsclock.blogspot.com/ Updated 29/4/19

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Iíve been wearing a Fitbit on my other wrist for 3 months now, itís been really useful in a number of ways. When the new Apple Watch is available Iíll definitly make the switch to that, the technology is just to good to pass up. But I still love my mechanicals! = 2 Watches.
    rob_honer likes this.
    Current Collection
    Aquadive BS300 & BS300 DLC Armida A1 Crepas ​Loggerhead Doxa 300 T-Graph professional Ennebi Fondale Gruppo Ardito Kraken Kaiser 9500m
    H2o Kalmar 2 8000m Oceanictime Helberg CH1 Marathon JSAR, JDD Orient ​Saturation Diver Prometheus ​Poseidon DLC Rolex Oyster Royal
    Seiko SUN019 ​Sinn U1 SDR Charmex Swiss Military 20,000ft UTS 4000m WCT 1000m Diver Zixen DSR-1000, DSR-1000 GMT

[QUOTE=MissileExpert;47027035]As one who has had a heat attack in the past, I can sympathize and appreciate your insight. Good on you for changing your lifestyle to try and mitigate any future cardio issues. I have a question, though. Every EKG I've received had multiple electrodes placed on different parts of my body. Since the Apple Watch is only on your wrist, how accurate is the EKG and are there any limitations compared to an office EKG?[

I had the same questions but the it is done by electrodes on the back of the watch and in the digital crown, where you would place your finger. The FDA actually approved this watch as being a valid tool. Accoriding to research traditional EKG machines have 12 leads with electrodes that are attached all over your body to measure the electrical signals. Apple compares what the Apple Watch Series 4 does to a single-lead EKG, which research shows is just as effective at measuring the heart's electrical signals as a 12-lead machine.
    watchcrank likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MissileExpert View Post
    As one who has had a heat attack in the past, I can sympathize and appreciate your insight. Good on you for changing your lifestyle to try and mitigate any future cardio issues. I have a question, though. Every EKG I've received had multiple electrodes placed on different parts of my body. Since the Apple Watch is only on your wrist, how accurate is the EKG and are there any limitations compared to an office EKG?
    An EKG done at an office or in a hospital is a 12 lead EKG. It can see the electrical activity from multiple angles in your heart.
    The Apple Watch can only see from one angle.
    I can see it being useful to catch things like Atrial Fibrillation that may come and go or other events (which should be followed up with real diagnostic tools by a cardiologist) but I fear people will rely on it for more than that.
    The OP is doing the right thing by eating right, exercising, etc. As long as it is used as an adjunct to professional diagnostics I see no harm in it.
    Live long and prosper!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    watchcrank and MissileExpert like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TgeekB View Post
    An EKG done at an office or in a hospital is a 12 lead EKG. It can see the electrical activity from multiple angles in your heart.
    The Apple Watch can only see from one angle.
    I can see it being useful to catch things like Atrial Fibrillation that may come and go or other events (which should be followed up with real diagnostic tools by a cardiologist) but I fear people will rely on it for more than that.
    The OP is doing the right thing by eating right, exercising, etc. As long as it is used as an adjunct to professional diagnostics I see no harm in it.
    Live long and prosper!

I would agree that it is not a substitue for a 12 lead ekg machine but its usefulness is telling the wearer that it detects a problem and to see your cardiologist immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_honer View Post
    I would agree that it is not a substitue for a 12 lead ekg machine but its usefulness is telling the wearer that it detects a problem and to see your cardiologist immediately.
    It could do that but I donít know enough about it to understand how it works or what warnings it gives you. What warnings (notifications) does it give you? HR above 140? ST elevations? Does it send the information to your physician or do you get a notification and call your MD?

Quote Originally Posted by TgeekB View Post
    It could do that but I donít know enough about it to understand how it works or what warnings it gives you. What warnings (notifications) does it give you? HR above 140? ST elevations? Does it send the information to your physician or do you get a notification and call your MD?

It will give you two heart beat classifications sinus and atrial, plus the sensor on the crown will take your pulse rate, all data can be recorded so that you can provide the doctor with this information. Now the watch will only give you data, or alert you when thresholds are over or under it will not do any diagnosis. The data can be provided to your doctor so they can diagnose the problem

Quote Originally Posted by rob_honer View Post
    I always thought people that wear two watches were a bit silly, I am sure there might be those that can justify doing so because of their line of work but for someone like myself I would consider it ridiculous. Now, at least for myself, things have changed and maybe I should not have been so judgemental.
    I am not a fan of Apple watches but I have been dealing with ongoing heart problems for a couple years now. I have decided on purchasing an Apple watch later this year that has the capability of performing EKGs and monitoring your heart condition, now this is not a gimmick or a sales pitch, but a working feature that provides actual and real data that can be recorded in order to provide your cardiologist with results.
    I try to be proactive I walk five miles every other day, changed my diet, lost 50 lbs in the last couple years but I still have my bad days. This apple watch could be a life-saving option for myself and others, EKG results can vary at different times, and while EKGs are usually consistent there can be fluctuations that are not always caught especially when you only have it done periodically at the doctor's office. The watch can also trend data and analyze when both EKG and pulse rates are out of normal range and you are about to have a heart attack. I guess now if I ever want to wear the watches I own I will have to get used to wearing two watches.
    Glad to know you're taking the right steps. With respects to dual-wristing, damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. Having survived a cardiac scare a few years ago (which turned out to have a radically different cause, but that's a different story), I can say that the last thing that should be on anyone's mind is whether or not someone else is judging them for taking care of themself whilst also enjoying their interests (in this case, watches, but same applies elsewhere). Put that behind you and enjoy good health.

(And worry not about the whole "having been misguided" thing. We've all been there a thousand times in the course of a life.)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    I doubt any-one will even notice.
    I'm always shocked when anyone notices the watch I wear on one wrist. If they'll notice if I wear two, maybe I should do it more often. Doubt it will work though. Most people think nothing of chronography or those of us who obsess over it.
    rob_honer and Carl.1 like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information