A dumb Q about WG watches b/c I have never owned one..
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: A dumb Q about WG watches b/c I have never owned one..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A dumb Q about WG watches b/c I have never owned one..

are most WG watches plated or non plated? I believe the newer PP are non plated WG?

Rag

Re: A dumb Q about WG watches b/c I have never owned one..

depends on the brand, quality..... you should be able to tell from the price, or they should just tell you.

Based in South east asia, travelling between

yes I think the newer ones are no longer rhodium plated.
    W.A.S. Watch Acquisition Syndrome Patient.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Maybe if their was more words and less acronyms in your question, I could respond. I've no clue what your talking about, sorry.
    ~ Daniel ~

Quote Originally Posted by DM71 View Post
    Maybe if their was more words and less acronyms in your question, I could respond. I've no clue what your talking about, sorry.

Yeah, I think the OP is asking whether most white gold watches are plated. He/she then states that he/she believes Patek Philippe watches are not plated.
    I'm not sure if he's talking about white gold plating or rhodium plating on solid white gold to make the finish brighter.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerUp View Post
    Yeah, I think the OP is asking whether most white gold watches are plated. He/she then states that he/she believes Patek Philippe watches are not plated.
    I'm not sure if he's talking about white gold plating or rhodium plating on solid white gold to make the finish brighter.
    Yes, that's what i meant. In other words...will a WG watch need re-plating in the future to keep it looking white?

Quote Originally Posted by RangerUp View Post
    LOL Thanks, RangerUp! You can easily tell I'm not big on texting and this new language. Ok, now I know what OP says, but I still can't give an answer as I have no idea.

If I had to guess (which is certainly not what OP wants) I would say that all white gold watches are solid and not plated. What would be the benefit of plating white gold which would basically look like SS? (stainless steel : ))

White gold looks like stainless as it's almost has the same color, no? I would see a benefit on rose gold and yellow gold, but not white gold.

Again, just a guess.......at least, i'm trying!

EDIT: Are you guys saying that PP use to plate their cases? Interesting if the case. I would have assumed that everything they do is solid and not plated. I, know, we should never assume.
    Last edited by DM71; July 7th, 2014 at 21:03.
    ~ Daniel ~

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Fire View Post
    Yes, that's what i meant. In other words...will a WG watch need re-plating in the future to keep it looking white?

Okay. So, I don't know about PP, but in general, rhodium is used on white gold (and sterling silver) to enhance the finishing. It is possible to strip the rhodium and re-apply when the finish begins to look "worn"; however, from my past research on this subject, it can only be done about three times. I guess it starts to negatively affect the white gold. I have a platinum Cartier watch with an 18k white gold clasp and the Cartier service center says that the rhodium plating on the 18k white gold can be removed and re-applied for a total of three times (for the life of the watch), so, it is not something you do for every service.

So, to answer your question, I think it will need re-plating but can only be done a limited number of times, so you have to space out the intervals and probably NOT re-apply the rhodium until it starts to look really dull.

I am no expert but I hope this helps.
    Last edited by RangerUp; July 7th, 2014 at 21:02.

EDIT: Are you guys saying that PP use to plate their cases? Interesting if the case. I would have assumed that everything they do is solid and not plated. I, know, we should never assume.[/QUOTE]

I am not an expert and hopefully someone can provide the correct answer if I am wrong. Most white gold is plated in rhodium to provide a brighter finish. Since about a year ago (I believe) Patek no longer uses this rhodium plating on their white gold cases (but they say they still use it on their "jewelry" pieces). Rolex does not use the rhodium plating, instead, they use palladium and/or some other alloys in their white gold. It appears Patek is doing the same thing now.

Sean
    Last edited by RangerUp; July 7th, 2014 at 21:18.

Or...are we talking about Gold plated watches like we see in the cheap "GOLD PLATED' watches, which are yellow....
    Never seen or heard of a White Gold plated watch. I had a Solid Sterling Silver watch that had a Palladium plating
    as an anti-tarnish measure.
    Last edited by little big feather; July 7th, 2014 at 21:19.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information