Thread: Dumb is (sometimes) Smart:

Dumb is (sometimes) Smart:

But y'all knew this:

https://nyti.ms/2CbLC3k
    Besbro likes this.

Re: Dumb is (sometimes) Smart:

"In an Era of ‘Smart’ Things, Sometimes Dumb Stuff Is Better"

I'm not better, I'm just different.
    A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Annual Calendar | Glashütte Original Senator Observer | Rolex GMT-II 116710 BLNR | Panerai 00524 Flyback | Tudor Pelagos | Magrette Dual Time

Yeah, the article writer is starting from questionable premise.

That said, there are definitely drawbacks to most tech. For example, I loathe all LED clocks. They're too bloody bright!!! And they're pointed right at you. It's harder to actually sleep well consistently, with excessive light.

The point about the smartwatch...well duh. If all you want is something to tell time, a smartwatch is foolish. To me, even mentioning this weakens the whole article; I don't like straw men. Well, ok, I suppose one might have to consider Mencken's Law, so perhaps there's a legit point to be made. Still, I expect better from the NY Times. And too much of that argument is along those lines.

I have a couple Apple iPod Touches...one is a really early model, the other is one I got 4-5 years later because the old one couldn't be updated any more. And there were things I wanted at the time. But eventually I got a Nexus 7...nice tablet for the time. Well, the Touch has the nice small size for carrying around. At the time, the calendar app was a really big deal for me; I was coordinating 6 different sets of medical doctors due to this and that. QUITE a few appointments. Calendar app was incredibly useful. Well.......trying to mix Apple's calendar and Google's calendar did *not* work well. Things got mangled. Don't care whose fault it was; it just wasn't acceptable. So I got an Android smart phone rather than my flip phone at the time.

Now...fast forward to last fall. Wanted a new tablet; mine was getting painfully slow. Looked at a Lenovo that shoulda worked just fine, but...first, they delayed and delayed and delayed and delayed. Supposed to be out in May...didn't start hitting anywhere until September. Then the only ones to hit the US market were the pathetic base models. FINALLY they came out with the Plus model, with a way better processor...and totally gimped out on RAM and onboard memory. Heck with them. Bought an iPad Pro. Well, ok, let's try this calendar sharing again. Bingo...no problems.

So there's truths to what he's saying, but IMO the article's mostly shallow.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by UberDave View Post
    "I'm not better, I'm just different.
    I'm not a bad man, just ambitious......
    Barrett likes this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Off Topic post Re: Dumb is (sometimes) Smart:

Make no mistake, this is a pro-tech article. Who compares a kitchen timer with an Amazon Echo? Seems like he is looking for reasons to inject newer technology into the mix.
    Last edited by watchRus; February 22nd, 2018 at 07:38.

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    Yeah, the article writer is starting from questionable premise.
    Agreed - certainly a notch or two below-standard in my eyes as well.

That said, there are definitely drawbacks to most tech. For example, I loathe all LED clocks. They're too bloody bright!!! And they're pointed right at you. It's harder to actually sleep well consistently, with excessive light.
    I pretty much jettisoned digital clocks of all ilk years ago: if there's anything glowing other than lumed hands and such, it gets a thumbs-down where I sleep.

The point about the smartwatch...well duh. If all you want is something to tell time, a smartwatch is foolish. To me, even mentioning this weakens the whole article; I don't like straw men. Well, ok, I suppose one might have to consider Mencken's Law, so perhaps there's a legit point to be made. Still, I expect better from the NY Times. And too much of that argument is along those lines.
    It would've been a nice idea if the author chose to seek out one or two people in the "trad" watch biz, or - heavens! - checked out a site like this one.

I have a couple Apple iPod Touches...one is a really early model, the other is one I got 4-5 years later because the old one couldn't be updated any more. And there were things I wanted at the time. But eventually I got a Nexus 7...nice tablet for the time. Well, the Touch has the nice small size for carrying around. At the time, the calendar app was a really big deal for me; I was coordinating 6 different sets of medical doctors due to this and that. QUITE a few appointments. Calendar app was incredibly useful. Well.......trying to mix Apple's calendar and Google's calendar did *not* work well. Things got mangled. Don't care whose fault it was; it just wasn't acceptable. So I got an Android smart phone rather than my flip phone at the time.
    I still have, and actively use, my 120GB iPod classic. (Currently looking to pry a 160GB model off one of several IT clients' hands.) And I recently dropped a 200GB MicroSD card in my Samsung Galaxy S7, which I love in spite of being a stone-cold Mac guy.

Now...fast forward to last fall. Wanted a new tablet; mine was getting painfully slow. Looked at a Lenovo that shoulda worked just fine, but...first, they delayed and delayed and delayed and delayed. Supposed to be out in May...didn't start hitting anywhere until September. Then the only ones to hit the US market were the pathetic base models. FINALLY they came out with the Plus model, with a way better processor...and totally gimped out on RAM and onboard memory. Heck with them. Bought an iPad Pro. Well, ok, let's try this calendar sharing again. Bingo...no problems.
    The one gadget I've resisted thus far are tablets: in my world, they're neither fish nor fowl. Not as useful as a laptop, nor as portable as a good smartphone. If I want to read something long-form, I break out my Kindle; for everything else involving a screen on the go, my phone does the deed. It's not just about blowing the bucks on the things: my wife has several Galaxy Tab A's I could grab on a moment's notice. But when I'm not running around with my laptop strapped to my back, I'm happy with just the phone in a pocket somewhere. Really.

Not in agreement with everything in the article, but as always... depends on personal experience.
    Love the electronics... but some begin to own you rather than you own them.

iPhone - amazing device, but makes it impossible to disconnect from work. I had to force myself years ago - when on vacation, all digital stuff stays home. I'm not available by email or cell or text. If there is a work emergency - too damn bad. Same when I'm with my daughter - iPhone takes away from basic bonding or interaction time. Have to make an effort to keep it away during meals, outings, etc.

All the digital crap on oven, refrigerator, etc - breaks non-stop. We had refrigerators that lasted 15-20 years. Same for Washers. When they make them into some "smart" multi function appliances - feels like repair people are here every few years.

Agree re: car radio. Touchscreen is fine for monitoring nav system or even picking destination for navigation... but my temperature controls are buttons and knobs and way easier to use than audio control via touchscreen... I basically resign myself to using buttons on the steering wheel to change the song or the volume, because touchscreen is too much hassle while driving.

And watches... well I like them just the way they are. Not because of smart vs dumb. But because to me they are art\jewelry (which smartwatch is too ugly to be) or tools (which smartwatch is impractical for on a long hike or camping trip)
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Definition of dumb: Forgetting to charge your Apple Watch up and having to ask the guy who wears an automatic Seiko what time it is.
    Barrett likes this.

Thread Information