Dunhill Facet 1936

Thread: Dunhill Facet 1936

Dunhill Facet 1936

First of all I'm new so hello! :)

Is there any chance some of you watch experts out there give me an opinion on the Dunhill Facet 1936 (Brown Lizard Skin Strap):

http://store.dunhill.com/GBR/ENG/Pag...oduct=DUX180BM

I have the chance to get it at half the retail price. I am not a watch expert but I love all things art deco and so have fallen in love with the shape and design.

How is Dunhill in respect of build quality and desireability?

Thanks in advance!!

Stephen.

stuffler,mike

Re: Dunhill Facet 1936

Well, retail is about £3800, even if you pay half I dunno if this 18k-re-make would be a bargain. For £3800 you will get mechanical watches with in-house built movements (such as the Wempe Chronometerwerke CW1 for example) which also reflects former times.

But if you have fallen in love with that Dunhill - get it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the quick reply :) Well I think I might even be able to knock another couple of hundred off so it looks like a good watch for the money.

With regards to Dunhill watches in general - how are they regarded within watch circles? Are the well built? Would it hold it's value?

Thanks again!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Still, £1900 is a fair amount of money, even if it is gold. It's not a rip-off, but you could probably buy a solid gold Longines Evidenza for that. Check out the Baume & Merciers as well, for other retro goodness. There's nothing wrong with the Dunhill, it's just a gold case with an ETA 2824 movement, a reliable and relatively common movement used in various watches from Tag Heuer to Longines to B&M etc etc.

BTW Dunhill every now and then does a privilage sale in the city, you can get loads of stuff at really good prices. Dunno when the next one will be though. PM me if you want some Dunhill laquer fountain pens, I'll do em dirt cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by spluurfg View Post
    Still, £1900 is a fair amount of money, even if it is gold. It's not a rip-off, but you could probably buy a solid gold Longines Evidenza for that. Check out the Baume & Merciers as well, for other retro goodness. There's nothing wrong with the Dunhill, it's just a gold case with an ETA 2824 movement, a reliable and relatively common movement used in various watches from Tag Heuer to Longines to B&M etc etc.
    Thanks for the reply :)

OK I'll have a look and possibly hold off until the next sale! I own a few pens and a lighter from Dunhill and the quality of build is just astounding. I knew the movement was a standard one used by other watch makers but I suppose I just expact that the housing quality would compare closely to their other products :)

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by steve_c View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply :) Well I think I might even be able to knock another couple of hundred off so it looks like a good watch for the money.

With regards to Dunhill watches in general - how are they regarded within watch circles? Are the well built? Would it hold it's value?

Thanks again!
    I think that Dunhill watches - regardless what quality they provide - are not considered to be collector's items. However the original watch of 1936 may be considered to be a collectable. So I would tend to say that the Dunhill will not hold its value. If you buy it now for app. £1900 you may have difficulties to sell it for £1800 next week. There is no huge market for 2nd hand Dunhill watches, lighters are sought but watches

Thread Information