D'ya care what kind of "presentation box" a watch comes in?

Thread: D'ya care what kind of "presentation box" a watch comes in?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

D'ya care what kind of "presentation box" a watch comes in?

One of my other hobbies is firearms. I recall a thread about a $3000 dollar 1911 pistol (that's like Rolex-money as far as those guns are concerned) when others go for 400 on the lower end and 1200 on the higher end, not including more exclusive or custom pieces.

Anyway, this 3000 dollar gun came in a flimsy cardboard box. The board it was discussed on was split between people saying "if I pay for that, I should get exclusive perks, such as a great box to keep it in, etc. etc." and on the other side, "you're paying for the gun, not the presentation box."

Both are very valid points. Now applying them to watches...
    Do you care what kind of box, presentation material, etc. a watch comes in?
    I think it is a luxury item, and from a marketing standpoint, people get quite excited to see a nice box, pillow, case, books and fancy holograms of authenticity, warranty cards, etc.

On the other hand, from a cost-concerning standpoint, one might wonder how much of the cost went into the watch and how much went into the perks that accompany the watch's purchase.

So I'm split down the middle, but I'd say I would prefer a watch to come with a well built, well finished box, etc. I quite like Tissot's boxing.

What do you think? Also, who has the best packaging of any brand that you know of, for curiosity sake? I know Rolexes don't exactly come in a brown paper envelope, but I'm curious what would happen to sales and reputation if they did.

Re: D'ya care what kind of "presentation box" a watch comes in?

I do prefer it when a watch has a nice box but I don't care that much, it's what's inside that matters for me .

Nope it has to have a nice durable box, its where I keep the watch every night! It would be enough to make me not buy a watch if the packaging was terrible.

Patek actually surprise me, the watches you see in the tiny leather slip box, is that the only presentation box it comes with? Or is there a proper box aswell? It seems only the hugely expensive ones come with the wooden box/watchwinder

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Almost all the guns Ive purchased including 2 Glocks,a Sig,and three 1911 customs all came in plastic carrying cases.
    To me its whats inside.
    Ive thrown away more watch boxes than I care to think about.
    I just wish the industry would price the product and not the packaging,glitz,and glamour.

Quote Originally Posted by David101 View Post
    I do prefer it when a watch has a nice box but I don't care that much, it's what's inside that matters for me .
    Indeed, and agreed.

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

I like unique presentation boxes - like Doxa's "Scuba Tank". That's cool, but also fairly cheap, and totally representative of what the watch is all about.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Banned

If fancy packaging cost $50, I'd rather the manufacturer put an extra $45 towards the watch and spent $5 on cardboard boxes and a pillow. I've got watch boxes to store my watches in - the packaging just gets stored away.

beshannon

Not really.

I expect a box that goes with the type/price/maker of the watch but it is the watch that is the most important thing

ces

I think for the prices you pay for a good swiss watch it should come in a nice box. That said a lack of a presentation box would not deter me from buying my next must have.btw i would love to know how much it costs (insert fav watch brand)to build a watch and market it and compare it to what it actually retails for.

To me, it doesn't have to be an exotic wood box, but I would like something more than cardboard.

For example, I recently purchased two watches which arrived within a week of each other. An $85 Chinese watch and a $550 German watch. I won't mention the names but to my surprise the German watch came in a run-of-the-mill cardboard box which probably cost less than a dollar. The Chinese watch came in a faux-leather clam-shell box box that was much nicer in comparison, yet I suspect only cost a couple of bucks at the very most.

In the end I suppose it doesn't matter much, but have to admit that I was surprised by the cardboard. I guess I was expecting more. So, yeah, spend a few bucks on something more than cardboard. It makes for a better buying experience IMO and is not cost prohibitive considering the cost of the watch and the profit made by the seller.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information