The (e)X(plorer)-Files Continued - Taking a risk on a 114270?
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: The (e)X(plorer)-Files Continued - Taking a risk on a 114270?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The (e)X(plorer)-Files Continued - Taking a risk on a 114270?

The next step in my Rolex Explorer mental battle has got interesting. Iím now confident that a 1016 is too extravagant. Iíve looked at various options, and every time it keeps coming back to the 114270. Hereís where it could get interesting/horrendous....

A private seller here in Delhi, who appears to be a watch collector is offering an Explorer 114270 for an extremely attractive price Ė about one third less than for similar back in the UK. On discussion he told me very openly the full history of the watch: Bought in Hong Kong in August í17 (has paperwork from the dealership). Brings it back to Delhi only to find that it occasionally stops. The retailer in Hong Kong offered to repair it for free, but due to the hassle of sending it internationally he opts to take it to an independent locally who he uses for all his Rolex servicing. He told me the issue was related to the rotor rubbing ďon some platesĒ, and parts were therefore replaced and the watch serviced in September 2017. He says it has been running fine ever since (any thoughts/experience on the likelihood of this issue with the 3130 would be much appreciated also).

Now at this point my instincts of course tell me that itís just not worth it. The price is good, but I have no idea of the standard of repair that was done.
    However, this morning I suggest to him the following to test the waters: I leave all my personal details with him, including proof of address etc, and he allows me to take the watch to Rolex to have it appraised. I would have to cover the costs of this, but do not have to leave anything of value with him as deposit. He has no issue with this at all.

To be clear, I donít doubt the seller himself at this point. In our dialog itís obvious he is a watch guy, and has been extremely transparent about everything. Heís selling because he has since bought a SubC and now wants a PAM or JLC, so needs the funds. Heís even helping me sell one or two of my pieces through his network of watch friends. The thing that concerns me is the quality of work that this independent might have done. The fact that itís had a repair at all is something I can accept as long as itís been done competently.

So what do you think? Iím wary of jumping on things that seem too good to be true, but if I can have the watch appraised by Rolex at no risk to myself other than their fee it seems like a decent option. I suppose the worst that happens is Rolex tell me it needs major work, and Iím out of pocket for whatever they charge to appraise it. Iíve not had that done in India yet, but generally speaking service and labour costs are way less here than they would be in Europe or the US (I had crystal replaced on my Speedy last year by the Swatch Group centre for an embarrassingly low amount for example). In the best case they give it the ok, and I get myself a 114270 for a bargain price. Middle of the road is that they say it needs servicing but is otherwise ok, in which case I would still make a tidy saving and of course know that itís just been serviced.

Hmmmmmm

Re: The (e)X(plorer)-Files Continued - Taking a risk on a 114270?

When in doubt, look for something better.

There are always at least a couple of these beauties for sale on these Forums.

Unfortunately, they sell for a pretty penny these days, but it is worth hunting for a good one.
    Pun and DilliTime like this.
    Dan.
    A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down
    H. Moser & Cie Pioneer Centre Seconds
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Tribute Small Seconds
    Officine Panerai Radiomir PAM 720
    Rolex Submariner 114060 (No Date)
    Cartier Santos WSSA0010
    Apple Watch Series 4 Nike+
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SKX009
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-1
    Casio G-Shock GA-700
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E
    And others (not really worth mentioning)

Quote Originally Posted by dantan View Post
    When in doubt, look for something better.

There are always at least a couple of these beauties for sale on these Forums.

Unfortunately, they sell for a pretty penny these days, but it is worth hunting for a good one.
    Living in India limits my options for pre-owned, and international purchases from here are a no-no because of numerous issues with customs and the likelihood of them attaching a massive luxury goods duty on arrival. I visit the UK for the occasional week, but that still gives me little time to be running around doing deals on watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Pun

Quote Originally Posted by DilliTime View Post
    Living in India limits my options for pre-owned, and international purchases from here are a no-no because of numerous issues with customs and the likelihood of them attaching a massive luxury goods duty on arrival. I visit the UK for the occasional week, but that still gives me little time to be running around doing deals on watches.
    I doubt you will attract custom duty on pre-owned watch. I bought many luxury stuff on Ebay auction and never had to pay custom duty. The goods were delivered by FedEx.
    You can't buy love; but you pay heavily for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pun View Post
    I doubt you will attract custom duty on pre-owned watch. I bought many luxury stuff on Ebay auction and never had to pay custom duty. The goods were delivered by FedEx.
    I've had to pay duty on clothes I already owned, even when delivered by FedEx. You can try and avoid this if you state a really low value for insurance purposes but of course then you are screwed if it gets lost. I've also had packages sit in customs for a while whilst they do clearances and inspections, only to have them arrive with the cardboard eaten apart by rats and the contents damp. That was with DHL. I'm sorry, but all my customs experiences here have been bad and so I'm not prepared to risk it. Maybe I've just been unlucky but it's been enough to turn me off ever having anything sent in again.

I'd wait for the appraisal from your local RSC and take it from there. Since the seller has indicated that he is willing to trust you to bring the watch there.

An unscrupulous seller would not have even highlighted any previous problems, and any used watch has an element of risk. In this case you will have the privilege of getting it professionally assesessed by an RSC before parting with your cash which is a better situation than most.
    DilliTime and georgegervin44 like this.
    Bulova> 96A225. Casio> 5600E. Damasko> DS30. GrandSeiko> SBGH205. Rolex> 116500LN, 16710, 214270. Seiko> SARB017, SARB033, SARG007, SBDX017, SLA017, SRP777.

Quote Originally Posted by obomomomo View Post
    I'd wait for the appraisal from your local RSC and take it from there. Since the seller has indicated that he is willing to trust you to bring the watch there.

An unscrupulous seller would not have even highlighted any previous problems, and any used watch has an element of risk. In this case you will have the privilege of getting it professionally assesessed by an RSC before parting with your cash which is a better situation than most.
    This is my thinking precisely. I'll see if I can get a quote from the RSC for an inspection and then I'll know what a worst case scenario would cost (ie it's screwed, so no sale and inspection costs only incurred).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Iíll second what the OP is saying regarding customs in India, theyíre irritating as hell irrespective of whether you bring the items in by post or your hand luggage. I once got tried to get done bringing in a very old amplifier (with very visual markings that it was pre-owned). The value was not much but there isnít consistency in how tax is applied.

Anyway OP i could give you a lot of reasons as to what you should do but I think this sums it up best.

Whilst youíve posted this to us, the guy selling it to you is sending this to his network in the hope youíll go through with the sale:
    Name:  53DDC777-B658-45AC-998C-620EC31C2B12.jpeg
Views: 100
Size:  34.8 KB
    DilliTime likes this.

id pass, independant watchmakers are notorious for swapping out parts with 3rd party ones. especially considering Rolex doesn't really make parts available to watchmakers anymore. BUT if the guy is willing to take the risk and let you take it to a RSC then why not. even if its no good then you can always just eat the shipping fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    Iíll second what the OP is saying regarding customs in India, theyíre irritating as hell irrespective of whether you bring the items in by post or your hand luggage. I once got tried to get done bringing in a very old amplifier (with very visual markings that it was pre-owned). The value was not much but there isnít consistency in how tax is applied.

Anyway OP i could give you a lot of reasons as to what you should do but I think this sums it up best.

Whilst youíve posted this to us, the guy selling it to you is sending this to his network in the hope youíll go through with the sale:
    Name:  53DDC777-B658-45AC-998C-620EC31C2B12.jpeg
Views: 100
Size:  34.8 KB
    You were unlucky with the hand luggage. I come and go more or less every month and my hand luggage generally contains a minimum of 4 bottles of booze and I've not been stopped once in 6 years. I even used to put my name as Michael Jackson on the customs form and tick yes to all the contraband boxes. It's amazing what a white man in formal wear can get away with here. Depends on the airport though I hear.

Everything about the seller seems to check out though. My concern is with whoever did the previous work.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    propforall likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information