An early-stage SOTC and request for opinions
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: An early-stage SOTC and request for opinions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

An early-stage SOTC and request for opinions

Hi everyone, it's now been almost seven months since I got bitten by the watch bug, and in that time I have bought four watches and received one for a wedding present. Although I've posted my motley collection once before in a "show your collection" thread, what appears to be a recent spate of SOTC threads has inspired me to start one of my own to share in a bit more detail. I'd also like to hear what people think would be appropriate next moves.

So without further ado, here are the pictures (apologies that some are recycled from my other posts and that they were all taken with my phone). I'll then say a bit more about what I'm thinking with respect to the future.

First, a group shot: The white-faced Timex, Casio F-91w, and dragon motif Fossil Big-Tic are pre-WIS and of somewhat less interest, so I won't focus on them, other than to say that I intend to keep the first two for sentimental reasons and sell off the Fossil as it's definitely not something I'd wear any more.

Next, the vintage Seikos: a 66-8050 and a King Seiko 4502-7001. I picked both of these up from Ebay. Admittedly they could be in better condition, but there's just something about 1970s Seiko aesthetics that had me browsing Ebay for hours and obsessively checking for new listings. I'm sure many of you have been there before...

And lastly, the contemporary pieces: Seiko SBDN001, Oris Big Crown Propilot, and JLC Master Memovox.

The Memovox is undeniably the proverbial "jewel in the crown" and was my wedding present from my in-laws. It's customary where I got married for the couple to receive watches as wedding presents, and I am extremely grateful that the budget was generous enough for me to go with the Memovox. As readers of the JLC forum may recall, it wasn't an easy choice, but I am very pleased with the watch and it will always be exceedingly special to me.

I actually started the search for a wedding present watch some seven months ago, and it took me five months and many AD trips to make up my mind. Also critical was a lot of forum browsing (thanks WUS!), which is what got me infected (thanks WUS...) and probably brought to the fore a nascent appreciation for watches, which is how I ended up buying the others.

If I remember correctly, the SBDN001 divides opinions on this forum due to its scalloped bezel. I, for one, somehow think it's a really apt detail for a dive watch, looks-wise. The black sunburst dial and brushed bezel both can appear purplish grey in sunlight, which makes me think "what a cool-looking watch" every time I see it.

The Oris is my most recent addition, thanks to a fellow forum member who decided to sell it on for a song. Really like the austere dial, the unique hands, and that turbine-inspired bezel. It's also the most versatile of the three.

I've come to realize however, that eight watches is far too many. Even discounting the pre-WIS watches, the five I presented above seems like a lot because I feel that I can't enjoy enough wrist time with each of them. Also, the collection feels lopsided with three Seikos and three dress watches. As such, I have been contemplating selling off one or both of the vintage pieces. The trouble is, I really do like them a lot, even if I don't wear them as much as the other three. There's some sort of an internal conflict going on between fancying the idea of a streamlined collection and wanting to hang on to the Seikos for the sake of ownership.

As for future acquisition plans, I can't say I really am desperate at the moment to add anything, though a chronograph of some sort would be nice. This will probably be in the next 1-2 years, though it may come sooner if I somehow manage to finish my dissertation, graduate with my doctorate, and snag a decent job next year, thereby giving me a nice excuse to spend a decent amount on something nice. A used Speedmaster Professional is certainly very tempting... but I'd like to shed some weight first.

Anyway, that's it I suppose. I'm curious to hear what you all think--do you agree with my assessment? What would you sell and what would you add?

Thank you for reading this far and thanks in advance for whatever you come up with!

Re: An early-stage SOTC and request for opinions

A chronograph would be a nice addition, also a watch with a distinctive complication like a Schaumburg moon watch.

Though I might have these hands painted gold so I could read the watch. But the moon complication is a nice one.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub 106, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

Great collection I'm particularly fond of that JLC.

Like Gary, I think a chrono is a logical next step. Longines, Hamilton, Breitling, and of course Omega offer some nifty options that I have looked at. Think of how wonderfully a Speedy would fill things out!

Since the JLC works beautifully for both dress and semi-formal in my opinion, perhaps think about adding a sport three hander. This way you'd have dress, pilot, diver, and a "smart" casual choice. My mouth keeps saying Aqua Terra but my heart says Ingenieur or Explorer.

Also - I think you could stand to improve your choice of diver but this is my area of greatest interest so naturally I would want to invest most here first. If you aren't particularly into divers and you're satisfied with the Seiko you have then ignore me - but I'd flip that and look at the Seiko MM300, a Tudor, Doxa, Aquadive or other high entry level or low mid range piece.

Lots of rambling, hope I was of some help! Enjoy your collection.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The JLC is stunning!

"Also - I think you could stand to improve your choice of diver but this is my area of greatest interest so naturally I would want to invest most here first. If you aren't particularly into divers and you're satisfied with the Seiko you have then ignore me - but I'd flip that and look at the Seiko MM300, a Tudor, Doxa, Aquadive or other high entry level or low mid range piece."

I second easyP's thoughts and would heartily recommend Tudor.
    Breitling Galactic Chronograph
    Tudor Heritage Chronograph
    Tudor Black Bay Blue
    Nixon Corporal
    Citizen Aqualand
    G-Shock 6900-1289

Man, you've got the bases covered already! Nice-looking watchbox. All I can think of is maybe some color? A splash of blue or orange?

Absolutely love these threads, so interesting. The JLC is stunning and I really like the Seikos. I think 10 is a good solid number. Don't rush into selling anything. I've been there and ended up regretting to the pint of repurchase (Seiko SARB). Research and pondering is part of the pleasure.

I think the only thing worse than regret buying a watch is the regret of selling a watch. If you think you would ever regret selling any of the watches then don't sell it. If you feel like you would have no regret and wouldn't miss it, then go for it.

Nice collection.

If you're not desperate to add anything, then don't.

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

That vintage Hi-beat is the bomb!!

Damn you!! Now, I will have to neglect my family and park in-front of my computer endlessly looking for a good deal on one... :(
    Chronic flipper...

Thank you all very much for all your nice comments and sorry for not being able to respond earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary123 View Post
    A chronograph would be a nice addition, also a watch with a distinctive complication like a Schaumburg moon watch.
    It's funny you should bring this one up because I only discovered Schaumburg a week or two ago and remember thinking that if I ever did get a moon phase watch I'd really like to get one of theirs. The way they lumed the moon especially is really cool. I agree with you about the hands!

Quote Originally Posted by easyP View Post
    Great collection I'm particularly fond of that JLC.
    Like Gary, I think a chrono is a logical next step. Longines, Hamilton, Breitling, and of course Omega offer some nifty options that I have looked at. Think of how wonderfully a Speedy would fill things out!
    Yeah, a Speedy is definitely at the top of the list right now, although the Breitling Transocean chrono is a really nice option, as are some of the Longines Heritage Collection chronographs. They really don't compare to the Speedy as icons though. Any suggestions for other iconic chronographs? The Zenith El Primero seems to be mentioned most in conjunction with the Speedy Pro but none of their designs really appeal to me that much.

Since the JLC works beautifully for both dress and semi-formal in my opinion, perhaps think about adding a sport three hander. This way you'd have dress, pilot, diver, and a "smart" casual choice. My mouth keeps saying Aqua Terra but my heart says Ingenieur or Explorer.
    Hehe after putting the Memovox on that brown strap I wear it quite a lot for "smart" casual and even casual... I'm happy to strap it on with certain t-shirts and shorts/jeans as long as I'm wearing a pair of brown leather shoes. For this reason one of those sport three-handers is much lower on the priority list, but I like all the ones you mentioned and can see myself adding one of them in the long run, possibly a 39mm Explorer I.

Also - I think you could stand to improve your choice of diver but this is my area of greatest interest so naturally I would want to invest most here first. If you aren't particularly into divers and you're satisfied with the Seiko you have then ignore me - but I'd flip that and look at the Seiko MM300, a Tudor, Doxa, Aquadive or other high entry level or low mid range piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpowerman View Post
    I second easyP's thoughts and would heartily recommend Tudor.
    Thanks both, I saw this comment coming! I do agree, and the thought has crossed my mind. I am quite happy with my Seiko at the moment; it's nice to have a quartz watch that is certifiably tough while also light on the wrist. I think out of the ones you mentioned, I'd most likely go with a Tudor (the Pelagos specifically) for aesthetic reasons. This will definitely be one for the long term too.
    [/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Camguy View Post
    Man, you've got the bases covered already! Nice-looking watchbox. All I can think of is maybe some color? A splash of blue or orange?
    Haha the watchbox isn't anything fancy, it's one of the more affordable ones available on Amazon (check out Songmics if you are interested). Adding a splash of color's a nice suggestion. Orange is probably a bit too much for my tastes so something with a blue dial would definitely be nice. I was admiring someone's Hamilton Pan-Europ chrono the other day (the one with the blue dial), but it's so large at 45mm. It would have been a nice way to address the chronograph gap and inject color at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Scrumpy View Post
    Absolutely love these threads, so interesting. The JLC is stunning and I really like the Seikos. I think 10 is a good solid number. Don't rush into selling anything. I've been there and ended up regretting to the pint of repurchase (Seiko SARB). Research and pondering is part of the pleasure.
    Quote Originally Posted by m0c021 View Post
    I think the only thing worse than regret buying a watch is the regret of selling a watch. If you think you would ever regret selling any of the watches then don't sell it. If you feel like you would have no regret and wouldn't miss it, then go for it.
    Thanks both for the advice about not selling, it makes sense and I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Captain Scrumpy, I agree wholeheartedly that research and pondering is part of the pleasure! I think that's part of the reason my horizon for the purchases discussed above is several years (5-10 years total for the chronograph, diver upgrade, and sports three-hander would be nice).

Quote Originally Posted by ajbutler13 View Post
    Nice collection.

If you're not desperate to add anything, then don't.
    Thank you! I suppose when I wrote that I'm not desperate to add anything, I meant that I'm not looking to buy anything at present, but would like to add a chronograph in the next 1-2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by hpark21 View Post
    That vintage Hi-beat is the bomb!!

Damn you!! Now, I will have to neglect my family and park in-front of my computer endlessly looking for a good deal on one... :(
    Thanks, I really like it too. I've been meaning to get it serviced so I can wear it more often without worrying about the movement exploding, but it's kind of hard to trust just anyone with an old sophisticated movement for which parts are no longer available. As for finding a good deal on one, I suspect your best bet would be a Lord Marvel if the hi-beat movement is all you care about--I feel like the King Seikos are getting more and more expensive and the Grand Seikos have always been. Happy hunting :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information