An earthquake in my watch

Thread: An earthquake in my watch

An earthquake in my watch

I suppose I could ask this on the watchmaker's forum but I figured I'd ask here first.

I went to wind my Sinn U1 SDR that had been sitting dormant for a few week. I unscrewed, pulled the crown to the date-set position and set the date. I then put the crown in the winding position. When I turned the crown to wind it, the watch fluttered violently; it actually shook like there was an earthquake inside the watch. I was quite surprised by that reaction so I carefully turned the crown once more and again it shook. The third time it shook a little bit and then started winding normally. I then wound it a few more turns and started wearing it. It seems to be running fine now.

I guess the only way I can verify this behavior is to let the watch run down again.

Can anyone tell me what the blazes happened and is it any cause for concern?

The watch is still under warranty so I'm thinking to contact the AD and speak to them about it too.
    Last edited by danielk; December 27th, 2012 at 13:00. Reason: minor edit to remove extraneous blank lines
    Daniel

Banned

Re: An earthquake in my watch

Some watches vibrate more than others, it doesn't sound like anything to worry about to me. My Speedmaster visibly shakes now and then as does a Super Avenger I have.
    Last edited by Lee Jones Jnr; December 27th, 2012 at 15:36.

The watch fluttered violently??? I'm guessing the crown and dial didn't flop around but you felt a slower speed virbration almost like a slow speed out of balance rotational sensation inside the case. Chances are when you hand wound the watch you were also spinning the rotor. It won't hurt it in the sort term. It does indicate that the winding mechanism isn't releasing because of old thickened oil. Time for a cleaning and reoiling.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Chances are when you hand wound the watch you were also spinning the rotor.
    That's exactly what if felt like!

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    It does indicate that the winding mechanism isn't releasing because of old thickened oil. Time for a cleaning and reoiling.
    The watch less than a year old and it needs that kind of service already?
    Daniel

If it's under warranty I'd have the AD look at it without question. The last thing you want is a problem that doesn't fully manifest until after the warranty expires.

THE: United States of America, Juhryzee shauw

Is that something that could occur during the "danger" hours?

Quote Originally Posted by danielk View Post
    That's exactly what if felt like!

The watch less than a year old and it needs that kind of service already?
    Sure. The entire watch or just the movement may have sat around for a few years before being used. The oil will thicken over time no matter how much you use it. Just send it back for service. And post some pictures when you get a chance.

Cases like this are rare but not unheard of. Your watch may need an exorcism.

Kindest Regards,
    Portauto
    Rotation: IWC Portuguese 5001-09 7-Day; Glashütte Original PanoReserve; Rolex Oyster 6480 (1955); TAG Heuer 2000 Professional
    Sold: Seiko MarineMaster SBDX001; Omega Seamaster Professional; Steinhart Nav.B-Uhr II B-Type; Wilson Pilot with Sea-Gull ST36
    Older: Tissot Visodate Heritage 1957; Sea-Gull 819.315; Citizen Promaster Navitach JQ8020-52L; Casio DBC-61 Databank Digital (first watch)
    Daily Wear: Apple Watch Series 4 Hermes 40mm
    My Wife's: Cartier Tank Solo W5200005; Apple Watch Series 4 GPS 40mm

Yep, the rotor is spinning as you wind it - the reverser wheel is lacking lubrication. Time for a service, although I don't think it harms the watch - it just won't wind manually thats all (it will still wind if the rotor spins on its own when wearing it).
    Lots of dive watches.

Thread Information