Easiest solution for day/date changing at wrong time
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Easiest solution for day/date changing at wrong time

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Confused Easiest solution for day/date changing at wrong time

A friend recently acquired a pre-owned Oris Williams F1 Team Day/Date 2004, he's such a happy man for such a bargain price, until I discovered that the day/date changes at 8 o'clock instead of 12. A quick fast forward of the watch not solving the problem.

Contacted the previous owner (first hand owner) and was told it is like that when he bought it new and it is one of the features of automatic watch! I own several automatics (swiss auto), some day/date changes gradually, some at a snap after 12, but none at 8 o'clock, it's such a
    big bu77sh*t. Either the watch is faulty or he is , or he thinks we're idiot, or perhaps he is! Such a common sense that date changes at 12 midnight, some movement might take 1 hour, some even 2 hours, but 4 hours advance or 8 hours late (completion at around 8 o'clock) is just a nonsense.
    I suspect that he set the time at the evil zone and messed up the day/date mechanism.

The day changes gradually starting at around 2:22, and date starting at around 5:43, both completed at around 7:50, and there's a click sound for every revolution completed, here's the video:

Oris day/date changing at wrong time - YouTube

Some forum suggested that the easiest solution is to take out the hour hand and realign from 8 to 12, can be done by local watchmaker. My doubt is will that cause any problem in future? Is the real problem solved? Or it is remaining there and harming the day/date mechanism? Hope pro's here can shed some light. Thank you.

Re: Easiest solution for day/date changing at wrong time

Might be wrongly installed hands, at a guess. If there's a local watchmaker, you could, I guess, take the watch to him/her, and ask to remove & re-set the hour hand ~4 hours backwards to align with the movement again.

Or, if there's any warranty left (doubtful), send it to Oris's customer support.
    San Martin Damascus Radiomir
    Aevig Huldra 2
    + always on wrist: Fitbit Inspire HR

Easiest solution?
    Trade it for a watch with no date.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The Oris uses an ETA 2834-2, and on the Hamilton Khaki King that I used to have, the day and date changes near instantaneously. Since it takes over 5 hours for yours to completely change over, there is a more serious issue than simply improperly installed hands.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

I guess on this one the new day starts at 8 am when you are about to leave house to go to work. You can ask some watchmaker to move the hour hand two hours back so the day will start changing immediately after midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    The Oris uses an ETA 2834-2, and on the Hamilton Khaki King that I used to have, the day and date changes near instantaneously. Since it takes over 5 hours for yours to completely change over, there is a more serious issue than simply improperly installed hands.
    Should be something like this?

ETA 28xx , date change - YouTube

Though this one is without the day wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by realwatchaddict View Post
    Should be something like this?

ETA 28xx , date change - YouTube

Though this one is without the day wheel.
    Yes, both the day and date should change over very fast.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    Yes, both the day and date should change over very fast.
    Oh gosh, then I think I better advise him to get quotation from local AD to fix the thing, if very expensive then negotiate with the seller or just return it!

Quote Originally Posted by chasecj7 View Post
    Easiest solution?
    Trade it for a watch with no date.
    Thanks but no thanks -_-" , it isn't the game of passing the bug, however will advise my friend to negotiate with the seller, or just return it.

Quote Originally Posted by realwatchaddict View Post
    Thanks but no thanks -_-" , it isn't the game of passing the bug, however will advise my friend to negotiate with the seller, or just return it.
    I would recommend returning the watch if that's an option.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information