eBay Buyer Changed Location
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: eBay Buyer Changed Location

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

eBay Buyer Changed Location

Hi all,
    I have watch listed for sale on eBay.
    I received an offer so I checked the location of the buyer.
    It was shown as USEC.
    I accepted the bid and sold it.
    Now , while waiting for the payment I sent a message to the buyer.
    To my surprise eBay showed me the buyer's location is in Russia.
    This is the first time I encountered this problem
    The buyer's name hasn't changed so this is baffling.

Have anyone else noticed this before?
    I don't know what to do.
    Thanks for advise
    Andy

Re: eBay Buyer Changed Location

Probably because people don't like selling to people in Russia because of scams. Looks like he pulled a fast one. Cancel the sale.

Thanks for advice.
    Yeah, this was my suspicion as well.
    I have re-listed the item.
    So far I only lost 2 days of listing time.
    Nothing else.
    It's just I haven't seen or heard about this type of scam before

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyKarate View Post
    Probably because people don't like selling to people in Russia because of scams. Looks like he pulled a fast one. Cancel the sale.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Could it be the difference between a billing address and a shipping address? I’m based in Singapore but sometimes, I would ship items to my United States forwarding address instead due to restrictions. Perhaps he could be using a forwarding address for his purchase, but billed to his Russian address.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    WastedYears likes this.

Thanks for your opinion.
    I doubt that.
    I sent him messages before and eBay didn't advise the buyer uses a different language.
    Only during the past 12 hours the warning messages started to appear.
    I was wandering if the guy used some kind of proxy server to access eBay in USA and show a different address?

Quote Originally Posted by solitudex View Post
    Could it be the difference between a billing address and a shipping address? I’m based in Singapore but sometimes, I would ship items to my United States forwarding address instead due to restrictions. Perhaps he could be using a forwarding address for his purchase, but billed to his Russian address.

He would still have to give a physical USA address I think. There were times I would be unable to purchase an item if I didn’t input a USA address, for items shipping only within USA that is.

But in any case, you have probably cancelled the sale and re-listed the item. Hope you can find a less complicated buyer for your watch! Cheers!

The buyer finally replied to my messages confirming he is in Russia.
    He asked for some more time to pay.
    I will just ignore him

Could be completely legitimate--first, check his feedback, then send him a note if you are concerned--ask him, not us, what the explanation is. Your point about ebay not using/advising you regarding a different language or whatever makes absolutely no sense--ebay is used in a great many non-English speaking countries with no such provisions. The only issue to me is what you just added a moment ago, that he wants more time to pay. That does raise flags, but normally, even there, I give buyers a few days to make good on their bid.

Case in point--I have two Ebay/Paypal addresses--one in Portland OR, and the other in Hiroshima Japan. During the process of the auction/purchase, ebay treats my location as if in the US. At purchase, I can choose to have the item sent to either address, with appropriate shipping fees--in this way, I buy things that will only ship to the US sent to my US address, and have them forwarded to me when I am in Japan, or have them directly sent to me in Japan, when I am there--or vice versa (I spend time at both locations).

Many of us live beyond and across borders and boundaries, so this situation is not at all unusual.
    Last edited by timefleas; February 3rd, 2018 at 13:44.

Thank you for this.
    I agree with you there are circumstances when the buyer may use legitimate tools at his disposal to improve his experience.
    No issue there.
    Maybe I wasn't very clear regarding eBay:
    -the initial correspondence was clearly with an eBay site in English. This is why eBay didn't alert me to anything unusual.
    -then the conversation shifted to eBay Russian site , so the messages were showing a standard warning that the buyer uses a different language.
    In the end you are right: change in location + asking for more time - this does raise flags
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    Could be completely legitimate--first, check his feedback, then send him a note if you are concerned--ask him, not us, what the explanation is. Your point about ebay not using/advising you regarding a different language or whatever makes absolutely no sense--ebay is used in a great many non-English speaking countries with no such provisions. The only issue to me is what you just added a moment ago, that he wants more time to pay. That does raise flags, but normally, even there, I give buyers a few days to make good on their bid.

Case in point--I have two Ebay/Paypal addresses--one in Portland OR, and the other in Hiroshima Japan. During the process of the auction/purchase, ebay treats my location as if in the US. At purchase, I can choose to have the item sent to either address, with appropriate shipping fees--in this way, I buy things that will only ship to the US sent to my US address, and have them forwarded to me when I am in Japan, or have them directly sent to me in Japan, when I am there--or vice versa (I spend time at both locations).

Many of us live beyond and across borders and boundaries, so this situation is not at all unusual.

General rule...if after some real thought you feel something is off, find another buyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information