Ebay (Interesting)

Thread: Ebay (Interesting)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ebay (Interesting)

I was bidding on a watch on ebay, it housed a used 2824 movment.
    Now the past two days I noticed this one person was interested in the watch and he had two bids listed above mine and was the current leader. I knew he has set a onetime bid limit and I was curious to know where was at. The price was at 260 dollars and I meant to go to 275 dollars but made a mistake and place 2,7500.
    Now it showed me that I was the current leader and the other person maxed out at 510 dollars.
    I quickly jumped online and started reading about how to retract a bid. I was about to retract my bid but it had me wondering how many people might do this as common practice.

Re: Ebay (Interesting)

Yes, I have heard of this strategy being used before, but I think that if eBay noticed you were continually placing high bids and then retracting them they would probably take some from of action.

I wouldn't use it myself deliberately though, to be honest (although in your case it was a genuine mistake).

Kind Regards
    James
    Life is not about how many breaths you take; life is about how many moments take your breath away...

Yes, I assume you are correct. I am just glad I did not have to pay 500 plus dollars for a used eta 2824 movement.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

veeeery interesting ...

it actually happened once to me ... I think ... couldn't remember ... but it wasnt that high and I was over-bid the next day :p

You aren't able to retract bids over and over. They have a limit, and they monitor the reason for you retracting. I have used it once due to a mistake like yours. Don't hesitate to use it for genuine mistakes, but don't expect to be able to use it regularly.
    Patrick M. Faherty
    JLP Enterprises LLC

CURRENT LINEUP- ROLEX OYSTER PERPETUAL DATE REF 1500, SEIKO SARB035, ORIENT BLUERAY ( Making way for a 3-4 piece Rolex collection )

Thanks for that clarification, Patrick, it is the way I thought it was! Luckily I have never had occasion to use the 'retract bid' function!

Kind Regards
    James

I accidentally bid, and won a SanDisk micro memory card, by placing a bid at $51., instead of $.51- I forgot the decimal point in front of the 51. And the schmuck who I was bidding against, tried to be cute and bid $50, I guess thinking he'd win it at a dollar or two, and not have to worry about being outbid-that's how I won the thing at $51

ebay told me to contact the seller, who was good about it and he just cancelled my bid and order. But Patsbox is right, ebay said it isn't a big deal to cancel an order, or buy and not pay, as long as it isn't too many and too frequent. If worst came to worst, and the seller insisted to be paid $51 for something with a buy it now price of .99 cents, I'd apologize, admit to it... and just not pay. Dirty, but I'm not paying $51 for something worth $1, because of a silly mistake.

Because if worst came to worst
    ..............Rolex
    Omega
    Breitling TAG Heuer
    Seiko Citizen G-Shock

Had this happen due to sticky keyboard keys, OP is right though some people do enter silly bids knowing they won't be overbid, in these cases i say they're welcome to have it if they want it that much.

Hi all. Is there a watch equivalent like Kelly Blue Book, but for watches? I'm looking for a standard for pre-owen watches that sets the price/estimates.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyas12 View Post
    Hi all. Is there a watch equivalent like Kelly Blue Book, but for watches? I'm looking for a standard for pre-owen watches that sets the price/estimates.
    Thanks!
    the market sets the price.

use watchrecon.com to monitor the used watch trends.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information