eBay Issues with seller
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Perseus

Thread: eBay Issues with seller

eBay Issues with seller

Dear all,

Just want your advice on this.

I purchased a JLC Master Control via eBay from a seller in Germany - I'm located in Singapore. On his page, it was clearly stated that returns are accepted. From the return policy page, it appears that I can return the watch within 30 days of receiving it.

I decided to return the watch due to various reasons (which I don't believe are material since the return policy does not specify any conditions so the default position must be a blanket right). I paid for the insured shipping via DHL and the watch was sent to DHL Germany. However, the watch was unable to clear customs as it transpired that the seller (now the consignee) has not provided DHL Germany with his EORI number.

When I called the seller/consignee, he says that he does not have an EORI number. DHL Germany's response was that he can go and apply for one and pass the application form to DHL Germany and that will suffice as well. He did not do so, and apparently he instructed DHL Germany to send the shipment back to me.

DHL also informed me that he may have to pay duties / taxes - since he did not do so when he shipped the watch to me from Germany, which could amount to 25% of the value of the item.

At this juncture, it appears that he does not want the watch to reach him since it would mean he's obliged to refund me the monies. Is there any way for me to find out what his EORI number is if he refuses to provide it, perhaps by using his VAT number or something along those lines? Or else, what would you advise is the best solution? I have made a complaint with eBay and will see what they say. It cannot be that the seller can frustrate his own return policy by his refusal to provide information - it would be unconscionable under any law.

Thank you.

Warm regards,
    Shawn

Re: eBay Issues with seller

Two things...
    1) If the seller says he accepts returns he should honor his word and provide the necessary information to facilitate the return.
    2) It sounds like you have buyers remorse and should not have bought the watch in the first place. I would highly recommend that you take this lesson to heart so you and any potential seller do not have to go through this again.

Good luck!
    Nokie likes this.

use the VAT...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ceadsearc View Post
    Dear all,

Just want your advice on this.

I purchased a JLC Master Control via eBay from a seller in Germany - I'm located in Singapore. On his page, it was clearly stated that returns are accepted. From the return policy page, it appears that I can return the watch within 30 days of receiving it.

I decided to return the watch due to various reasons (which I don't believe are material since the return policy does not specify any conditions so the default position must be a blanket right). I paid for the insured shipping via DHL and the watch was sent to DHL Germany. However, the watch was unable to clear customs as it transpired that the seller (now the consignee) has not provided DHL Germany with his EORI number.

When I called the seller/consignee, he says that he does not have an EORI number. DHL Germany's response was that he can go and apply for one and pass the application form to DHL Germany and that will suffice as well. He did not do so, and apparently he instructed DHL Germany to send the shipment back to me.

DHL also informed me that he may have to pay duties / taxes - since he did not do so when he shipped the watch to me from Germany, which could amount to 25% of the value of the item.

At this juncture, it appears that he does not want the watch to reach him since it would mean he's obliged to refund me the monies. Is there any way for me to find out what his EORI number is if he refuses to provide it, perhaps by using his VAT number or something along those lines? Or else, what would you advise is the best solution? I have made a complaint with eBay and will see what they say. It cannot be that the seller can frustrate his own return policy by his refusal to provide information - it would be unconscionable under any law.

Thank you.

Warm regards,
    Shawn
    Whats an EORI number?

I dont have a VAT number but I sell on ebay.

This is because I am not a business I am a private individual so if I was told I would need one of these to accept an item for return it would firstly be quite difficult and secondly be a complete surprise to me. I wouldn't be able to register for VAT without a lot of hassle as I dont have a business.

In terms of fees you can kind of see his point if he already paid the fees when he bought the item because they were included in the cost, then he may be a bit upset about paying them again.

Think of it like this if he had said to you when you bought the item you had to pay two sets of fees one to cover the cost I incurred and one when it hits your country and you are responsible for both what would you have said?

These things dont mean he will not refund you buy there are external reasons which make it more difficult.

I am sure the reason that he sold the item was to get some money not to incur fees and have to register for something he may not be able to do.

Why are you returning it is it because it is broken/damaged or just because you changed your mind?

Whatever reason is fine but if its because you changed your mind and have told the seller that you cant expect him to be happy.
    Fiery the Angels Fell.

http://www.savewalterwhite.com/

File a dispute using the facts cited. Never know what will happen. Perhaps you will get your money back and get to keep the watch! See my thread where this happened to a fellow in the UK I sold a watch to.

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

Well, you TRIED to return the watch but seller is refusing to cooperate in order to RECEIVE the watch sent back to him.

I say that would be the grounds for me to immediately file a paypal dispute at this point.

He should NOT have listed his return policy if he wasn't going to honor it.
    Chronic flipper...

Thread Information