To eBay or not to be

Thread: To eBay or not to be

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

To eBay or not to be

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie here and currency the watch I have is my fathers Timex Indigo I kept after he passed away in Sept. I have decided, with my wifes permission, to purchase a Citizen CB0020

I have been to a local jeweler to look at the options, try them on and have them answer questions I had. They have been very helpful in the process.

However their prices are about 30% higher than the eBay vendors

I need some input on why I should not buy from an eBay vendor and support my local store even though the cost is an additional $120

Also do the jewelry stores negotiate on prices?

Thanks and I will post pics and my view of the watch when I get it
    Last edited by shrktank; December 30th, 2010 at 08:49.

Re: To eBay or not to be

Hi there, welcome to the forums.

There are numerous threads on eBay around here, but you will find them with time. Perhaps the best advice would be to be a smart shopper. Do your research (part of it you did), then visit a local store and tell them what you found, what price you are willing to pay on sight and kick-off the talks. If all your efforts fail, be smart about eBay - check the seller ratings and past sales (if the seller sold 500 Citizens in the past month and has 99% rating, chances are he is a good one). Good luck
    The 1st Rule of WUS Club is: No Pictures - No Help.
    The 2nd Rule of WUS Club is: No Pictures - It Didn't Happen.
    The 3rd Rule of WUS Club is: Read the rules on top of the page.

If you check websites that sell watches, their prices will likely be close to, or better than ebay.
    Nothing wrong with ebay though if you follow the above poster's advice.
    Yes, jewelry stores do negotiate on prices.
    Good luck.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've had very good success with ebay sellers who have high volume sales and great feedback. If the prices were the same, then I could see supporting a local store (or if money was not an issue for you)

Is this the watch?

Citizen Eco-Drive Radio Controlled Perpetual Calendar CB0020-09E CB0020 Promaster Men's Watch

If so, how does that price compare with what you've seen at your local jeweler and on eBay? (That's a rhetorical question. You don't have to answer it publicly.)

Furthermore, if it is fitting, you could use that price to negotiate at your local jeweler. It may hold more weight than something you found on eBay.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

I prefer buying from the local dealer if the price is within a few hundred dollars. The have alot more overhead and you have already stated you went to look and try on the watch. Personally if they have been helpful I would say buy local.
    If that local store wasn't around you would not be able to try on the watch/look it over. Also for warranty reasons easier to deal with a local store then an ebay seller on most occasions.

Banned

As mentioned above by Brandon, print a couple of on-line prices from real dealers instead of eBay and see if the store will match or come close to them. I did that with my Breitling and BB&B matched a grey market price. I had to pay sales tax, but that's a great trade-off for a manufacturer's warranty instead of no warranty or a warranty from the seller. Who knows where that seller will be in a couple months? Citizen will probably still be in business though.

Do you have an internet enabled smart phone? I've used this technique a couple of times... tell the dealer you have to think about it a little. They will usually walk a way to give you a minute, pull out the phone and google search the item and shake your head a little. If there is a great price at a reputable online place (amazon works best actually) you can have that up on your phone and show them.

PS this works even if you do not have internet on your phone as long as it looks like a smartphone! Just close the phone and quote the real price you researched online before walking in the store.

I'm not trying to be dishonest here, it is very hard to argue with an Amazon price and their no hassle return policy.
    Dan

Not entirely sure what I'm collecting anymore....

NS-13

Quote Originally Posted by drickster View Post
    Do you have an internet enabled smart phone? I've used this technique a couple of times... tell the dealer you have to think about it a little. They will usually walk a way to give you a minute, pull out the phone and google search the item and shake your head a little. If there is a great price at a reputable online place (amazon works best actually) you can have that up on your phone and show them.

PS this works even if you do not have internet on your phone as long as it looks like a smartphone! Just close the phone and quote the real price you researched online before walking in the store.

I'm not trying to be dishonest here, it is very hard to argue with an Amazon price and their no hassle return policy.
    does this actually work? i imagined the dealer would probably just tell you to buy from that online place instead. that is, if they're not that desperate for a sale.

local store would be better or make sure the ebay store is legit and not a grey market dealer. Customer Service "in person/physically" is always best.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information