Ebay Sales Tax - Uugghh
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Ebay Sales Tax - Uugghh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ebay Sales Tax - Uugghh

So I purchased a watch on Ebay last night, imagine my surprise when I see my cost included a NYS sales tax of $35! As of 6/1, NYS is now a state where Ebay will calculate and assess NYS sales tax if the delivery address is in NYS. Other states are next ( https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fe...harges?id=4121), so be aware if trying to get a good price on a watch on Ebay. My watch ended up costing almost as much as retail!

Regards,

Matty

Yep, now they will tax any purchase made online not just eBay.

Re: Ebay Sales Tax - Uugghh

Yeah not just ebay. B&h photo also send an email last month about this change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Long long time ago in distant free Internet when sales were minuscule and retail ruled the earth... taxes were collected from where most of items were bought from retail
    Once rebel sellers started to gain traction ",,,," tax department decided to increase revenue stream by taxing where sales are - on line.
    So it was essentially inevitable. Government needs money so money government gets!
    Elmero and Actium like this.
    It should be special!

Loser State Governments that spend every penny they collect needed more money so they could spend more. Government Uugghh

Ah, but if you paid retail, you'd pay even more tax, so you still saved money.

The requirement to pay sales tax on out-of-state purchases shipped into NY isn't actually new. You're supposed to report purchases that you didn't pay sales tax on when you file your taxes every year (line 59 on the IT-201-2018 tax form). Been that way for years.

In fact, you technically are on the hook to report purchases made out of state on items that you bring back into the state and then use while home. So if you bought a new watch while on vacation somewhere and bring it home with you, you are supposed to report that and pay a use tax on it when you file your annual income taxes.

This is true for other states with sales taxes as well.

I doubt anybody ever reports this sort of stuff, and now that online purchases are so common, NY is cracking down because they are losing tax revenue.
    Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts

Quote Originally Posted by MX793 View Post
    Ah, but if you paid retail, you'd pay even more tax, so you still saved money.

The requirement to pay sales tax on out-of-state purchases shipped into NY isn't actually new. You're supposed to report purchases that you didn't pay sales tax on when you file your taxes every year (line 59 on the IT-201-2018 tax form). Been that way for years.

In fact, you technically are on the hook to report purchases made out of state on items that you bring back into the state and then use while home. So if you bought a new watch while on vacation somewhere and bring it home with you, you are supposed to report that and pay a use tax on it when you file your annual income taxes.

This is true for other states with sales taxes as well.

I doubt anybody ever reports this sort of stuff, and now that online purchases are so common, NY is cracking down because they are losing tax revenue.

A good point . . . a big reason I go grey/reseller is the fact that I can get a substantial discount from MRSP on the watches I covet . . . . haven't had to pay HI state tax yet (on other stuff bought online I've had to pay though) but if/when, my decision where to go will come down to the total saving from list . . . depending on price point/watch and final cost diff, may not make sense for me to go outside retailer/AD but that's the way it's always been for me (and I've bought full MSRP + state tax at a few local AD's for a small number of pieces so far) . . . times a changin' I guess.
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

I don't have a problem paying state sales tax, it's part of the grease that keeps things rolling. Dodging, or trying to dodge sales tax can save you a few bucks but really, you're just cheating your own state out of revenue. And for those naysayers that have a problem with sales tax, taxes in general or just gub'ment, voting is always an option and can actually work. Whining on the other hand, accomplishes nothing. Besides, watches are NOT essential so...you know, pay your fair share
    http://veteranswatchmakerinitiative.org/
    Training Combat Disabled Vets to become Watchmakers
    https://www.gofundme.com/VWIBulova

Death and taxes....

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator
    Seabee1 and Rocket1991 like this.
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.

Move to a no sales tax state, like NH.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...onomies/21697/
    Steelerswit likes this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account:

Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information