WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Ebay snipe to get that watch?

5K views 77 replies 43 participants last post by  watchma 
#1 ·
I always lose last second upon bidding on a watch on ebay. It hasn't occurred me until now that people are highly likely employing a sniping program. My last loss peaked my interest.

I would imagine the suspect thing with snipe services is the reliability and the privacy info being leaked.

Anyone have experience or recommend any snipe websites?

Thank you.

#3 ·
Thats funny. I always put a random cent and dollar amount as well. Lol. WIS think alike.

Reactions: Drop of a Hat
#7 ·
it seems these days that a large percentage of auctions - especially watches - are won (or lost) at the very last second on Ebay.

In fact - if I cannot be there at the last second - I pretty much know that I will lose it due to a last second high bid. It sucks, but it is the way it is.

The responses above that suggest putting in your highest bid from the start is a good policy, but it in no way has anything to do with of you will win or not.

I am not familiar with the sniping stuff, but that sounds right - or its just another human somewhere waiting for the seconds to count down and placing the bid. Doesn't matter if its software or a person, it doesn't change the fact that Ebay is pretty tough these days to get what you want.

#28 ·
it seems these days that a large percentage of auctions - especially watches - are won (or lost) at the very last second on Ebay.

In fact - if I cannot be there at the last second - I pretty much know that I will lose it due to a last second high bid. It sucks, but it is the way it is.

The responses above that suggest putting in your highest bid from the start is a good policy, but it in no way has anything to do with of you will win or not.

I am not familiar with the sniping stuff, but that sounds right - or its just another human somewhere waiting for the seconds to count down and placing the bid. Doesn't matter if its software or a person, it doesn't change the fact that Ebay is pretty tough these days to get what you want.
Technically, every auction that has several invested bidders is lost at the last few seconds.
If one bidder puts in a high price, the system will keep increasing their bid (based on his max price) whenever anyone else bids a comparably lower price (but one that is above the current bid).

If you simply have a max bid that's high enough, and walk away, no sniping is necessary - as long as you're willing to walk away from overpaying for an item.
eBay counts on people getting carried away with themselves, losing sight of the item's value, and getting lost in the need to "place their bets", over and over again.

Reactions: dougcee
#9 ·
Sniping software offers no bidding advantage unless you want the piece at any price. And there is always the excitement from pressing tbe refresh key every 30 seconds and waiting with bated breath until 2 seconds before close to enter a price which may get blown out. However if you know both how much the watch is worth and your maximum price just enter your highest bid and let the proxy bidding software on ebay do your work. I absolutely guaranty the watch will go to the highest bidder.

#12 ·
I don't mind people using sniping programs (at least not that much) but what I cannot stand is when sellers use them to artificially inflate the price of what they are selling and get away with it despite being in violation for auction rules.

#14 ·
Its worth using a sniping tool when bidding on anything of much value.

You don't need to be waiting for the auction to end, and you don't tip your hand to other bidders. There's nothing to gain from showing interest before the end and a bidding war is the last thing you want.

I've only used snipers a few times, not enough to ever have to pay for it though. If I wasn't adverse to bidding on items in general I'd make a habit of it.

#16 ·
I find if you put your highest bid from the get go, the item usually sells for more (could be as a result of sellers inflating prices.

I've been using an android app called bid sniper for about a year and I believe it helps me win items at better prices.
I simply enter my highest bid, but as a snipe, rather than the get go.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 2

#17 ·
Since ebay went to the system that masked bidders ID's several years ago, it is all too easy for a seller to shill bid their own auctions, there used to be some transparency in the bidding process, but no more, ebay only cares about getting as much $ as they can, any way they can and there are many big name sellers that are more than willing to do everything they can, legal and otherwise to maximize the final price.

#20 ·
i agree with there is a ton of shill bidding. I bid on a watch last week and there was artificial bidding. How do I know? The shill account account had zero purchases and 50% of the time the shill bid with the watch seller. I emailed ebay but I doubt anything will be done about it. All ebay cares about is their bottom line. Best just not to bid with these chump sellers.

#22 ·
I always wait until the last second and then submit my maximum bid. The big disadvantage of putting in a maximum proxy bid at the start is that it simply bids up the auction as people incrementally bid against you and your proxy automatically bids it up each time (you create an automated bidding war). It's better to wait in the weeds and bid at the last second, because nine times out of the ten the person with the high bid only bid enough to put himself in the highest bidder position and you can cut him out at the end without bidding the price up over time.

#57 ·
I agree with this completly.

I always wait until the last second and then submit my maximum bid. The big disadvantage of putting in a maximum proxy bid at the start is that it simply bids up the auction as people incrementally bid against you and your proxy automatically bids it up each time (you create an automated bidding war). It's better to wait in the weeds and bid at the last second, because nine times out of the ten the person with the high bid only bid enough to put himself in the highest bidder position and you can cut him out at the end without bidding the price up over time.

#23 ·
I snipe watches that I want, but I don't use a sniping service. I set an alarm for 5 minutes before the auction ends. Then, I type in my bid and sit there with my finger on the button while watching my watch. When there is 15 seconds left in the auction, I click the button. I usually get what I want that way, but it takes patience.

I always lose last second upon bidding on a watch on ebay. It hasn't occurred me until now that people are highly likely employing a sniping program. My last loss peaked my interest.

I would imagine the suspect thing with snipe services is the reliability and the privacy info being leaked.

Anyone have experience or recommend any snipe websites?

Thank you.

#24 ·
I use justsnipe.com or gixen.com. Using a sniper site takes away the stress (some call it 'fun') of bidding at the last minute. They are usually fail-safe but if I really want an item I'll set the sniper and bid manually at the last minute, just in case one of the two fails.

#25 · (Edited)
But what if several people are using snipe to get it (and they must surely do) ,......... surely, ulitimately, one wins out in the mechanism of the thing, or rather several lose out in the mechanism of the thing?....
There can only be several losers after all lol

How can it be 'fail safe', 'taking the stress out of it' ?

I think if you were destined to get it you will, plus a bit of luck lol

#26 ·
WE all know that eBay allows you to enter your max bid and then will bid on behalf of you up to that amount correct? All this being outbid at the last second etc doesn't happen often if you have the highest max bid. I sold a sport coat the other day and the bid amount more than doubled in the last 10 seconds. It was won by the guy who bid on day 1 and told me he'd be on vacation if he won so he might pay a few days late.

He set a high max bid and just relaxed.

#30 · (Edited)
That's the worst way to do it for buyers (it's great for sellers, though) because it creates an automatic bidding war that drives the price up. It's far better to wait until the end and then place your maximum bid.

If you simply have a max bid that's high enough, and walk away, no sniping is necessary - as long as you're willing to walk away from overpaying for an item.
eBay counts on people getting carried away with themselves, losing sight of the item's value, and getting lost in the need to "place their bets", over and over again.
Exactly!

#29 ·
I have used eBay snipers with good results a couple of times, I used eSnipe and it worked great.

I do think that last-minute bidding, either with a sniping service or manually, allows you to pay a lower final price on an item. Many buyers don't start with their highest-value bid, and many buyers also get competitive/emotionally invested when they are outbid. I see many buyers re-bid on a item multiple times after being outbid, which drives the price up.

You could put in a high bid early on, and the guy you just outbid can re-bid on the item 3 times and drive the price up, or you can just outbid him at the last second and then he doesn't have a chance to do that. Using an automated sniping service also keeps you from being that guy, getting caught up in the moment and increasing your bid a bunch of times, and then paying more than you wanted to.

Reactions: Clouseau
#33 ·
You tell it how much your maximum bid is, and when you want to step in and snipe.

The software monitors the auction and steps in at the predetermined time and gets the final bid in - unless someone else has got a snipe program running too, with a step in time closer to the end of the auction.

If their maximum bid is better than yours and/or they step in later than yours (on a faster internet connection), then they'll most likely win

#35 ·
I would disagree with one of the assumptions above: "there's always another watch"

Sometimes there really isn't.

Aside from that, if you are losing due to 'perceived' sniping, you merely haven't bid enough for the object. someone wants it more than you.

If you purposely low bid hoping you can lowball your way into something much more valuable you take the risk of not winning the auction. Simple as. If you can't bear that risk, bid as much as you can, with a sniping program.

#36 ·
I am gonna share a trick with you guys.

Here is what I do. Lets just say the watch in question usually goes for 4k with 3k being an excellent price.

If I want to pay a max 3.5k, I do the following:

Once the auction starts, I bid 3k. Usually within 1-2 days, the max is reaches and someone finally outbids me. That is fine with me.

At 3k I just eliminated lots of buyer looking for the deal of the century. No more emotional attachments, lots of buyers will un-watch the listing, etc. Lots will give up on it since its already at 3k and 5 days left. But it usually does not go much higher than that.

6 seconds before end of auction I place my bid $3,560.

Works most of the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.