Ebay vintage high end pocket watch conversions?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tsujigiri

Thread: Ebay vintage high end pocket watch conversions?

Ebay vintage high end pocket watch conversions?

Most of these are from Ukraine, Poland, Croatia etc. A lot of Omegas, Zenith, IWC etc. are any of these real or any good? Or are they just fakes? Have any of you guys purchased these and what have your experiences been? Who are some of the reputable sellers? Some I these watches look really nice. And I like their uniqueness and the beauty of the movements. But, I don't want to end up throwing away a few hundred bucks.

Re: Ebay vintage high end pocket watch conversions?

There is quite often a lot of (perhaps unjustified) negativity surrounding these pocket watch conversions, but I think that they do look quite tastefully done. From what I've observed, I would have no reason to believe that they are fake movements - quite a number of pocket watch movements from the late 19th or early 20th century are now 'homeless' as their precious metal casings were melted for assets.

You would not be throwing away money if you knew what you were getting in for (no shock protection, no proper guarantee of longevity cos these are often antique movements without a reasonable chance of spares, a non-factory dial and case, and that they are massive). I would never personally spend that money on buying a watch conversion - I think there are many better ways of spending money on vintage watches, but it depends on your perspective.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

If you like one buy it. But keep in mind you are not buying a collector's item. Collector's do not like these "marriages". Make sure all parts of the movement are time identical and not just "composed".
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

These are disliked because usually they cut up the movement to get it to fit in the case, so you're essentially supporting people who butcher pieces of history. Also, these old movements were not meant to be worn on the wrist, and will not have shock protection. Watches like these can be damaged easily by shocks.
    Nokie likes this.

If you buy from someone who knows how to recase a movement and will stand behind the sale if it doesn't run on delivery then you won't be throwing money away. Purists may turn away from such watches because they are not "original" or old enough. However most if not all of the so-called original trench watches were pocket watch conversions that may have also involved recasing. Consequently these Ukraine specials are really not all that different. Vet your seller and be careful with the non shock protected movement and have fun with the watch.
    Last edited by John MS; October 21st, 2013 at 15:43.

who are the most known sellers of these watches on ebay?..please can you indicate a list of ebay nick...I know that mostly are ukrainian

I was eyeballing a couple of these for awhile myself. Good advice in here, but it all pretty much applies to most all Ebay deals anyway. As far as movements are concerned,

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements

Is a great resource for checking things out. The one I was really watching was an old Tissot, circa 1931, and sure enough, it was on there. I was still pretty apprehensive about it, but it seemed legit as far as pictures, measurements, etc. basically just jived with what the ad said.

Sold for a good chunk more than I was willing to pay, so no harm, no foul.

good luck

If you buy from someone who knows how to recase a movement and will stand behind the sale if it doesn't run on delivery then you won't be throwing money away. Purists may turn away from such watches because they are not "original" or old enough. However most if not all of the so-called original trench watches were pocket watch conversions that may have also involved recasing. Consequently these Ukraine specials are really not all that different. Vet your seller and be careful with the non shock protected movement and have fun with the watch.
    Good advice.
    Last edited by Nokie; October 21st, 2013 at 21:51.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Thread Information