EBAY: Weird message / policy change? What the heck is this??
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By mfunnell
  • 1 Post By Sav
  • 2 Post By Sav
  • 1 Post By mfunnell

Thread: EBAY: Weird message / policy change? What the heck is this??

Angry EBAY: Weird message / policy change? What the heck is this??

Here's a section of it. Makes no sense to me.
    But enough to make me go WTF????????
    Who knows what this is about?

Therefore, starting July 1, 2018, for items sold on all eBay sites, buyers will pay an additional 10% Goods and Services Tax (GST) at checkout if the following conditions are met:

o The item is located outside of Australia;

o The address of the item is located in Australia;

o The order price (including shipping cost) is less than or equal to AUD 1,000.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Re: EBAY: Weird message / policy change? What the heck is this??

It's not eBay policy, it's (Australian) government policy - and it doesn't just affect eBay and its users:

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...31-p4zikr.html

...Mike
    Chronopolis likes this.

Sav

This is our lovely Australian government finding new ways to screw people. They are forcing online retailers, including Ebay and Amazon, to charge GST, (goods and services tax), on ALL items now. We used to have a $1000 threshold before paying GST and duties on imports. Now it seems that the threshold is $0.

Seems that Ebay sent you the email by mistake.

The email wording is funny though.

Lets reword this to - No matter where the item it located.

and this one to - for all items over $0 as GST will be applicable to purchases over $1000 as well.
    Chronopolis likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

$0 - $Infinity...
    "Time isn't the main thing. It is the only thing!" - Miles Davis

I have found that some people just like to hear themselves typing.

Friends don't let friends buy G-Schlocks.

You think I'm condescending...?? Do you even know what that means... ??

Every time God closes one door... I open a bottle of bourbon.

¹ I have learned that you have to put a smiley face or LOL behind anything just so people don't take you too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sav View Post

The email wording is funny though.

Lets reword this to - No matter where the item it located.

and this one to - for all items over $0 as GST will be applicable to purchases over $1000 as well.
    I'm not sure that GST will be applied by eBay to purchasers between Australian residents. If it is an australian shop that is registered for GST then GST will presumably be included, collected and remitted to the ATO by the shop. But, GST should not apply to sales between individuals in Australia (eg second hand watches).

I'm also not sure that EBay will be responsible for collecting GST on items over $1000 bought from overseas. At the moment doesn't customs deal with this? (I've never hit the threshold myself)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It's a good excuse to buy another watch now from OS rather than wait and pay 10% more!

in the usa sales tax is added to sales through amazon and other online retailers. in NJ there is a question on state taxes if you made internet/ out of state purchases that sales tax was not collected.

the out of state is due to Delaware not having sales tax. Jersey wants its cut too. as they said, leveling the playing field.

someone forward this to Canales so he can moan and cry here too.
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    For most of us, when we wear a bad-a** watch, the characteristics of the watch "bleed over" to us -- and suddenly, WE are bad-a**es!
    For some members here though -- like Steelerswit, and Kubr1ck -- they have so much inherent "bad-a**ery" that when they put on a bad-a** watch, the energy flows from them TO the watch, making the watch EVEN MORE bad-a**!!! Yes, it's a real scientific phenomenon that obscure mad scientists only recently discovered.

Sav

Quote Originally Posted by VintageChris View Post
    I'm not sure that GST will be applied by eBay to purchasers between Australian residents. If it is an australian shop that is registered for GST then GST will presumably be included, collected and remitted to the ATO by the shop. But, GST should not apply to sales between individuals in Australia (eg second hand watches).

I'm also not sure that EBay will be responsible for collecting GST on items over $1000 bought from overseas. At the moment doesn't customs deal with this? (I've never hit the threshold myself)

You are correct in regard to the collection of GST on goods over $1000.

I am sure that once this is deemed successful that the government will try to find a way to collect GST on goods sold between individuals online.

The ridiculousness of this is that it will not deter people from purchasing goods overseas. I, like many others, will simply find a way around this. The sooner our government, and retailers, wake up to the fact that it is a worldwide market place and tax and price items accordingly the better of we will be.

A side story - I walked into a motorcycle shop some years ago wearing a new pair of kevlar jeans. The salesman approached me asking how I liked them and where I bought them. I told him I had bought them online from the US and he went into a tirade of how people like me had sent him out of business as he was the Australian Distributor.

I proceeded to ask him How much he paid for his jeans and his selling price. His reply was that his cost was $45 - $60 each and he was selling them for $180 - $200. I replied that he sent himself out of business as I had paid $100 and why on earth would I buy them locally for twice the price. I then explained that if his price had been more reasonable, say $130-$140 that I would have bought locally.

The problem with a lot of our retailers is not just the taxes that are imposed on imports, is also the fact that they do not align themselves with the global marketplace and simply price themselves out of a lot of sales.
    mfunnell and arcadelt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by VintageChris View Post
    At the moment doesn't customs deal with this? (I've never hit the threshold myself)
    I have hit the threshold and Customs does deal with it. When I hit the threshold through a parcel (containing a camera lens) sent through Aussie Post the whole process was a P in the proverbial A. I had to deal with reams of paperwork directly with Customs and the whole thing delayed delivery by a fortnight or so. Oz Post was no help at all (in fact they added to the problems).

In the last couple of weeks I ordered a watch (a Seiko SBDC055, which was just over-threshold) through Seyiajapan and deliberately paid extra for DHL delivery. Through DHL the process was slicker than sh*t! I was sent an e-mail, specifying the payment due and giving me a URL to pay through. I paid, the parcel was released and the whole thing added less than 24 hours to delivery time. The only thing which annoyed me was the "handling fee" charged by Customs, which seemed inordinately high. (DHL also charged a handling fee for their services, but their fee seemed entirely reasonable.)

None of which, IMO, applies to extending GST to below the $1,000 threshold. The theory is that below the threshold, the handling required is more expensive than the revenue to be earned. I think the theory is correct! Even despite the unreasonably high "handling fee" charged by Customs. Nonetheless, whinging retailers here in Oz have had their way. To the advantage of local retailers (who deserve no such advantage) and the detriment of customers. But retailers donate to political parties - so what do we expect, I guess.

Shipping costs for lower-value items are more than enough to cover the price disadvantage local retailers complain of. The reason we order from overseas rather than locally are (1) availability of items we want; and (2) price-gouging by local retailers. Where these don't apply then I, for one, go out of my way to use (good) local retailers for many items, even if there's a (small) price disadvantage. But that's not good enough for some. They'd far prefer to go back to their old take-it-or-leave-it stocking and pricing policies. After all, we owe our retailers (eg. Gerry Harvey) a living and they should most definitely not have to work for that living.

...Mike
    VintageChris likes this.

Thread Information