An Ebayer in need...

Thread: An Ebayer in need...

An Ebayer in need...

I spotted an ebay auction the other day with what appeared to be a Cartier Tank watch. It had the sapphire on the crown and everything, but the picture was tiny, so I couldn't see the dial. I alerted the seller and asked him if he knew if it was a genuine Cartier or not. The auction had a couple hours left, and nobody had bid yet, so I asked him if he knew what he had, because if it was real, it was worth alot of money. He responded with a genuine lack of watch knowledge, and asked me how to tell if it was real or fake.
    Now, my question is, was I foolish in trying to help out a fellow who may have no knowledge of what he had, or should I have simply bid and possibly got a 2000 dollar watch for five bucks? What would you have done?
    I replied to him and told him to remove the back and check the movement, most fakes have battery powered quartz movements, or automatic japanese movements, so if the movement is engraved with Cartier and the calibre number, he may have a genuine watch....

Re: An Ebayer in need...

I would have probably done the same thing, but I won't be surprised if the seller already knows whether the watch is fake or not. IMO you did the right thing
    Are you watching closely?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog:
    http://watchesindia.blogspot.com/
    Instagram: @crazystrobist

Banned

Odds say it was a fake. With the amount of watch connoisseurs surfing eBay, somebody would have snatched it even if the listing had fuzzy pictures if it were real. Wouldn't have been me - I don't know my butt from a hole in the ground when it comes to Cartier.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfingers View Post
    I would have probably done the same thing, but I won't be surprised if the seller already knows whether the watch is fake or not. IMO you did the right thing
    yes, that thought crossed my mind, because in his intitial question, he did state that he had removed the auction, so that could mean that he didn't want to sell it until he found out, or he didn't want to be misleading in selling a fake. Nowhere in his listing did he mention the Cartier though....

Sadly, I suspect that seller knew full well he was selling a fake watch. The only reason he pulled it was to not loose his eBay account.

You're not going to get a $2,000 watch on eBay for $5. More than likely you would have gotten a $5 watch for $100 or more.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carpevicis View Post
    . He responded with a genuine lack of watch knowledge, and asked me how to tell if it was real or fake....
    Heard that question over and over again. I am sure he knows what he is selling.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Cartier is very famous brand. Even if you google it, you'll see it's expensive. I think it's very, very hard to feign ignorance with a big name watch like that.

The only situations where a seller genuinely has no clue about his item that seem slightly realistic, are with rare vintage watches or niche brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    Cartier is very famous brand. Even if you google it, you'll see it's expensive. I think it's very, very hard to feign ignorance with a big name watch like that.

The only situations where a seller genuinely has no clue about his item that seem slightly realistic, are with rare vintage watches or niche brands.
    Yes, I agree. The only thing that raised a doubt for me, was the fact that he never mentioned 'Cartier' in his auction description. I only saw it in the picture, so I asked him about it. Could be it was his 'silent' way of hoping to get big money for the rest of his junk watches that he knew would never fetch much....

Cartier is well known for going after people using their name on the bay. Hell, they've gone after sellers for using the word "tank" on watch descriptions pertaining to non-cartier watches. What you had was a fellow hoping he could get some bidding action going between people who thought they were smarter than him. A very old con that never goes out of style. I would guess that he pulled it because he felt you were feeling him out prior to reporting him.

I've seen tons of those fake '8o's Tanks by the way. I'd bet my left Heir Production Part that it was junk.

By the way - Cartier made a bunch of those Tanks with quartz movements.

Quote Originally Posted by molarface View Post
    Cartier is well known for going after people using their name on the bay. Hell, they've gone after sellers for using the word "tank" on watch descriptions pertaining to non-cartier watches. What you had was a fellow hoping he could get some bidding action going between people who thought they were smarter than him. A very old con that never goes out of style. I would guess that he pulled it because he felt you were feeling him out prior to reporting him.

I've seen tons of those fake '8o's Tanks by the way. I'd bet my left Heir Production Part that it was junk.

By the way - Cartier made a bunch of those Tanks with quartz movements.
    yes , but were those quartz movements made in Japan or Hong Kong?

Thread Information