Edited: My Needs/Wants ... Your Opinions ... Suggest Away

Thread: Edited: My Needs/Wants ... Your Opinions ... Suggest Away

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Edited: My Needs/Wants ... Your Opinions ... Suggest Away

I figured as this has been a great source of information, feedback, responses and help in feeding my watch obsessions I'd be interested to see what makes/models I may have overlooked in my previous searches given the features I am looking for in a watch. I thought I would take a stab at listing out some features I am looking for and seeing what kind of suggestions come back.

Hopefully this can help others along the way that are in the same boat and with the addition of some eye candy can at least be visually pleasing for those not in the market right now.

Desired Features (most are must haves):
    Cost - Less than $1,000
    MUST BE DURABLE
    Swiss Made - Automatic Movement
    Chronograph (second, 30 or 60 minute (60 preferred) and 12 hour)
    Uni-Directional Ratcheted Bezel (ideally with 5 minute indicators, numerical or notched)
    Screw Lock Crown
    Band - Stainless or Titanium*
    Black Dial (Gray is ok too)
    Black or Gray Sub-Dials
    Water Resistant to 20+ Bar (ideal)
    Sweeping Second hand
    Date window (day not necessary, but not against it)
    Arabic hour markers mostly present (I dont mind if some are obscured by the date or Chrono but want more than the 12, 3, 6, 9 showing)
    17+ Jewels
    28,800 VPH seems about right based on research
    Decent Lumes would be ideal
    Decent Power Reserve would be nice on those days when I swap back to another model

Size – I have an 8 ¼ inch wrist so I am looking for a watch with some size (but not a dinner plate with a dial).

*Regarding the band I would like the ability to swap in an out of the SS/Ti and a leather at some point though this is not a primary concern now.

Side notes:
    I like the concept of a clear back but understand this isnt common for a watch given the above features.

I also kind of like the look of the semi clear front (see BenL's Hamilton Viewmaster linked here... https://forums.watchuseek.com/attachm...7&d=1271397022. However it is kind of touchy as to how crowded such a dial would be with the addition of the Chronograph and the numbered hour markers and even more rare given the above features again.
    Last edited by SwedishElite22; April 17th, 2010 at 09:23. Reason: Changed pricing parameters

Re: My Desires ... Your Opinions ... Suggest Away

i started to read your thread and concluded that this person wants a breitling......
    so my advice is get the breitling, it's an awesome watch.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Re: My Needs/Wants ... Your Opinions ... Suggest Away

If there is something else out there with those features I will more than entertain them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Check out Sinn.
    The model 757 among others should suit you well.
    www.sinn.de

Banned

Or one of the Sinn 103 series.

Sinn have a great chice.

Guinand (OK, this one is `Swiss) have a good selection too.

I find thise smaller watch makers something of a connoseur watches.
    You pay only for the watch, not to help paying keeping a bunch of WW2 warbirds in the air.
    Last edited by Janne; April 17th, 2010 at 04:10.

v76

Seiko Flightmaster automatic chronograph (SBDS001/002/003) with the 6S37 movement -

Beautiful column wheel chrono with a vertical clutch ... one of the finest chronographs for the price.

Images are borrowed, of course. Else, you can get a NOS/pre-owned Zenith El Primero de Luca for your budget.
    Last edited by v76; April 17th, 2010 at 04:44.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

GTA, Ontario, Canada, the True North strong and free

I suggest, um, a Breitling Aeromarine Chrono Avenger Stencil Series...
    Last edited by hidden by leaves; April 17th, 2010 at 04:53. Reason: typo
    DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

Banned

I have to echo hidden's and novedl's assessment - you're describing Breitling. The Chronomat Evolution may be up your alley as it has an optional black dial with grey subdials and is 45 mm. Breitling makes some of the best bracelets on the market.

Personally the only Breitling that interests me is the Navitimer. The others? Not so much. But you're buying the watch for you, not me. A lot of our watch choices are based on fashion, and it's clear that (fortunately) all of us have different tastes.

People buy the Speedy Pro because it's been to the moon, but few if any of us will ever go there, so why the fuss? We buy "tool" watches because they look like they can survive an atomic blast, or because they're the watches that the Italian Navy used. But hardly anyone here has his or her office in a sub, and most people would never dream of wearing their 5k tool watch to change the oil in their car, let alone into battle. And in all honesty, a G-Shock would arguably be the better choice in those situations.

I've got a Speedy Pro an a Planet Ocean- it's good to 2000 meters. But I don't dive and I'm not headed to the moon. I bought them because I think they're cool, history and all. Am I nuts? Sure if you ask my girlfriend. But every day I put one of my watches on my wrist and it brings a smile to my face. That's worth a lot.

So yeah, you like the Breitling? Buy it!

I like the thought of the Breitling Navitimer, but honestly I look at the thing and am so confused as to what time it is I dont know where to begin. I know it is a piece of jewelery too but if I have trouble telling the time, to me, its not worth it...they are gorgeous though.

The Seiko is pretty nice looking and is added to the list... just depends on if I want to go to Japan for the movement (already have a Japanese Chrono movement).

The Sinn lines look really nice and I'm planning on looking into them more. My only issue here is the lack of the 1,2,4,5,7,8,10 & 11 indicators.

I appreciate the feedback thus far... maybe it is that the watch that is for me is a Breitling. I just want to make sure I havent set myself in tunnel vision after coming across the Avenger... such a topic gives people a chance to show off watches they've owned or found and opens topics up for current and later reference.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information