Educate me on movement differences from brand to brand (7750 Hamilton vs Tissot)

Thread: Educate me on movement differences from brand to brand (7750 Hamilton vs Tissot)

Educate me on movement differences from brand to brand (7750 Hamilton vs Tissot)

I was hoping someone could educate me on the movement differences between Hamilton and Tissot.

Specifically I'm talking about the Tissot Lelocle Chronograph, I believe this has the Valjoux 7750 in it. I purchased the piece last year and am quite familiar with it.

Last night I purchased a Hamilton Khaki Officer Auto Chrono, this piece also has the Valjoux 7750 in it. Obviously the Hamilton has one less hand (no small second hand). But upon inspecting the back of the two watches, there appear to be additional differences.

I was hoping someone could shed some light on this, what are the differences? I know there are "different" grades of the same movement, but the best explanations I've seen are that higher end models are "finished" better. Well what exactly does that mean? More precise? Different cutting of the gears? There are definitely some differences to the workings on these two watches despite them supposedly having an identical movement.

Banned

Re: Educate me on movement differences from brand to brand (7750 Hamilton vs Tissot)

Re: Educate me on movement differences from brand to brand (7750 Hamilton vs Tissot)

The 7750 is a 7750 is a 7750. The Hamilton, as you mentioned simply doesn't have the small seconds register. Everything needed on the movement to run a small seconds register is most likely there, except for the hand. As Hamilton makes watches with this movement which include the small seconds register, I doubt they would bother to go through the trouble of having different versions. I would expect the movements in both watches to be for all practical purposes identical.

Finished better means some parts which are closer to ideal dimensions (eg dimensionally checked through additional quality control), parts may be made of different materials to increase durability and allow them to be made to tighter dimensional tolerances or finished to a higher level (eg. chamfered or plated) to reduce friction and resistance to corrosion. At the price point of these chronographs differences are going to almost entirely cosmetic and related to the level of cosmetic finish and quality in cases, dials, hands, and band.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ray916MN View Post
    The 7750 is a 7750 is a 7750. The Hamilton, as you mentioned simply doesn't have the small seconds register. Everything needed on the movement to run a small seconds register is most likely there, except for the hand. As Hamilton makes watches with this movement which include the small seconds register, I doubt they would bother to go through the trouble of having different versions. I would expect the movements in both watches to be for all practical purposes identical.

Finished better means some parts which are closer to ideal dimensions (eg dimensionally checked through additional quality control), parts may be made of different materials to increase durability and allow them to be made to tighter dimensional tolerances or finished to a higher level (eg. chamfered or plated) to reduce friction and resistance to corrosion. At the price point of these chronographs differences are going to almost entirely cosmetic and related to the level of cosmetic finish and quality in cases, dials, hands, and band.
    Yeah, I realize and assume all the running gear is the same in terms of the chrono. But here's an example (and when I get home in a few days I'll provide pics if that'll help), when you look at the back of the Tissot, there's an oscillator of some sort, it looks to be just a very thin and long piece of bronze? It is flicking back and forth at a very high rate of speed. On the Hamilton this is not there. Instead it has what appears to be some sort of spring balanced on the ends swaying back and forth at a fairly high rate of speed. I wish I had my tissot with me, that would help me explain it, as opposed to going off memory...

I appreciate the links in the first post and your response Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post
    Yeah, I realize and assume all the running gear is the same in terms of the chrono. But here's an example (and when I get home in a few days I'll provide pics if that'll help), when you look at the back of the Tissot, there's an oscillator of some sort, it looks to be just a very thin and long piece of bronze? It is flicking back and forth at a very high rate of speed. On the Hamilton this is not there. Instead it has what appears to be some sort of spring balanced on the ends swaying back and forth at a fairly high rate of speed. I wish I had my tissot with me, that would help me explain it, as opposed to going off memory...

I appreciate the links in the first post and your response Ray.
    You're describing the balance spring. Possibly made of different of different materials, but more likely the bronze colored one is finished through some sort of anodizing or similar type process and the other is unfinished. Purely cosmetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray916MN View Post
    You're describing the balance spring. Possibly made of different of different materials, but more likely the bronze colored one is finished through some sort of anodizing or similar type process and the other is unfinished. Purely cosmetic.
    Thank you very much. The internet in this place is TERRIBLE, which really limits my ability to search here and google. I appreciate the prompt and informative responses...and those two threads are pretty fantastic. I've read the first page of both, trying to get the remaining pages to load :)

Thread Information