Elgin Database

Thread: Elgin Database

Elgin Database

Hello, I'm new to the forum and was wondering what site everyone uses for Elgin Watch information? I have changed computers and cannot find the site I used to use. The site I used had the year, size, jewels, grade and so on. Can anyone guide me in the right direction for this site? Thank you!

Re: Elgin Database

The popular elginwatches.org site appears to be down. Some of us have info in text books or other literature and may be able to help. You can also check in on our Vintage forum for assistance.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thank You Ray!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Several people have tried contacting Wayne(the owner of the database) and have not had any luck.

The best alternative is the "Elgin Watch Company Identification and Price Guide" by Roy Ehrhardt. This has become an in-demand book with the shut down of the database.

If you post the serial number here, I'd be happy to look it up for you.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Hello Ben, I actually have two Elgin pocket watches that I need information on. They are not high dollar watches but information would be greatly appreciated. The serial numbers are 18821860 & 9462323. Thanks in advance.

Ben's got the real resource but I'd estimate production dates as 1915 and 1901 respectively.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

For the first one:

Grade 293. This is a 16 size, 7 jewel movement, and one of 704,000 produced in this grade. This is a model 7 hunting case(winds at 3:00 movement) with a nickel finish, and is pendant set.

For the second one:

Grade 206. This is a 6 size, 7 jewel movement and one of 270,000 produced in this grade. It is a model 2 hunting case movement, nickel finish and pendant set.

I hope that this helps!
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Thanks Ben for the info, it sure did help.

Hi,

I'm also new to the database and was hoping you might be able to help be too Ben (or anyone else).

I'm looking for info on my great grandfathers watch.

Elgin. SN: 959805.

It's in a Deuber 14k gold filled case marked with a serial number (549162) and the anchor and serpent trademark.

I think the approximate date is 1881. Which make sense with what I know about when it was given etc.

But any further info would be great. Esp as elginwatches.org appears to be a non-starter and I have had no luck finding a copy of the book in New Zealand libraries.

I've been looking here - Small Elgins - for similar types but as mine has almost no engraving it's hard to tell which it matches closest to.

Any help would be massively appreciated. Thanks.
    Richard

I've updated my website again.... www.watchrepairinfo.com to reflect the fact that there are now 2 sources for Elgin serial number lookup to replace the Elgin.org site.
    Need parts? Tech manuals? Serial Number lookup? www.watchrepairinfo.com

Thread Information