Emile Chouriet...distinct lack of info
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Emile Chouriet...distinct lack of info

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Emile Chouriet...distinct lack of info

Once again I'm asking for advice instead of contributing to the forum, but I hope you will all forgive me as a new guy. I should be getting a bonus in a few months and I'm almost certainly going to buy a nice watch with it. I noticed an Emile Chouriet dealer and am intrigued by them. They certainly have more than a whiff of l'ancien regime about them, which I love and they look well-made and something different from the many other expensive watches you see all over the place. However, logging onto www.emile-chouriet.ch leaves me a tiny bit underwhelmed. No info on the movements used, thought the site does look great. The "since 1685' or whatever it is, is very impressive, or would be if I'd seen these watches mentioned on this forum or in a shop outside China. Anyone any info? I don't mind if they're not "The poor man's VC", just want to know I'm buying something which is actually Swiss and isn't powered by the cheapest ETA qurtz available. The quartz models are 4290 RMB and the autos are around 7,000 RMB. (I've no problem with a quartz watch) I've sent the following email to their customer contact.

Dear Emile Chouriet
    I had never seen any of your products until a few days ago and I am intrigued by them. I am seriously considering buying one. I have been onto your website and find the lack of information regarding the movements you use both puzzling and unsatisfactory. For the movement used in the Gent's Quartz Contemporary Luxury Model "08.1138.G.A" could you please tell me the
    -Manufacturer
    -Calibre
    -Country of manufacture
    -Accuracy
    -Serviceability
    -Number of jewels
    -Battery Life
    &
    -Service Life
    Could you please also give me all pertinent data on the automatic movement you use in the Special Style Model "01.1160.G" ?

Yours Sincerely

Let's hope they come through. If they reply "all our movements are high quality and Swiss" they can forget it. Will keep you posted.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Emile Chouriet...distinct lack of info

Just googled: 艾米龙Emile Chouriet

Gold Wings: ETA 7001
    Catch the Moon: ETA 2834 + module
    Traveller: Ronda 4220-B quartz
    King: ETA 2836
    Prince: ETA 2836
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Banned

That's the advantage of knowing Mandarin. Thanks!
    Certainly, I have no problem with any of those mvts and am much more re-assured. I'm still curious to see the reply from them though before I plump down four thousand yuan.
    Last edited by Scottish Steve; December 4th, 2010 at 05:20.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm a little late to this thread, but I have was recently doing a bit of research into Emile Chouriet myself after seeing their umpteenth ad in a China Southern in-flight magazine.

I would contend that Emile Chouriet is a ........ Chinese brand produced (note sure where--presumably China) using Swiss movements. The history and the "since 1685" is pure fabrication. The brand is a cynical attempt to sell a "European luxury" item to Chinese consumers by convincing them of a non-existent pedigree. I'm guessing you live in/travel in China, so I'm sure you are aware that this is a common trick in numerous industries (especially foodstuffs and furniture for some reason).

An Emile Chouriet is just one step above a counterfeit in my book, as the provenance is smoke and mirrors. The printed ads imply a long European heritage that is simply non-existent. Get a Sea-Gull--at least they're not pretending to be anything other than what they are.

Here is what my research turned up: the stylized "Emile Chouriet" trademark is registered in the PRC to Fiyta (HK) Co. Ltd. (飞亚达(香港)有限公司). In 2009/2010, Fiyta (HK) Co. Ltd. purchased 100% of the Swiss entity Montres Chouriet SA from the Hong Kong-registered company Citylion International Limited (城亨國際有限公司) for HKD 9 million. Fiyta is one of China's larger watch companies an makes the Chinese space watch.

Fiyta (HK) Co. Ltd. is owned by the publicly-held Shenzhen Fiyta Holdings Ltd. (SHE:200026) (深圳市飞亚达(集团)股份有限公司 ), which is turn invested in by CATIC Shenzhen (深圳中航商贸公司成), a subsidiary of CATIC (中航技进出口有限责任公司), a state-owned aviation umbrella corporation.

According to information on Fiyta's website and in their annual report, Montres Chouriet SA already owned the brand "Emile Chouriet" and Fiyta purchased Montres Chouriet SA with the intention of marketing "fashion watches" in China.

So their "European heritage" would be better described as "links to China's aerospace industry."

Sources:

-China SAIC Database
    -Hong Kong Company Registry
    -Fiyta website
    -CATIC website
    -Shenzhen Fiyta Holdings Ltd. 2009 annual report

Cheers.
    Last edited by rsgould; January 28th, 2011 at 06:43.

Banned

Good hunting and thanks, but now I;m even more confused as they're listed in the FHS website as a genuine Swiss brand, right after the page which talks about the extensive efforts at protecting the Swiss Made appelation. And to have "Geneve" on the dial of some of their models? What gives?

The Swiss Watch Industry - Watch links

Banned

I've sent the following to FHS. Let's hope they reply.

Dear FHS
    I'm trying to get some information regarding Emil Chouriet watches. As you can see from this link
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/emil...st3654981.html
    I'm not a time-waaster or trying to be clever, but genuinely interesting in buying something with heritage and quality. Could you please confirm the the Swiss Horology Federation has inspected the plant in which Emile Chouriet makes their products, that this is in Switzerland and that there has been a quality assessment at some point recently? Although these watches are at the affordable end of the market, this is a serious purchase for me on my salary. As yet I have still not had a reply from Emile Chouriet themselves and I am beginning to feel less and less confidence in the Swiss Made brand.
    Yours
    Mr (Scottish Steve)

Thanks, I've handled some due diligence work in my time...

Montres Chouriet SA is a Swiss company registered in Geneve in 1998. You can check their company registration:

Registre du Commerce du Canton de Genève

Notice that two of the three listed officers are in Shenzhen. The Swiss registration does not mean that it is not Chinese-owned (just as many Caribbean companies are the principal or sole shareholders in American firms). In this case, Montres Chouriet SA is a Swiss entity wholly owned by the HK entity as listed above.

The term "Swiss Made" is a legal term with a specific definition (see https://www.ige.ch/e/jurinfo/documents/j10709e.pdf). In essence, 50%+ of the watch's "essential characteristics" must be made in Switzerland. In this instance, it is likely that the movement (which is ETA and thus Swiss) and perhaps some other components comprise the 50%. Emile Chouriet would certainly not be the first watch to stamp "Swiss Made" on something assembled in China. Many of the well-known Swiss brands do precisely the same thing. I'm sure if you scour the pages of WUS or other forums, you will find lively debates over whether or not the legal threshold for the "Swiss Made" designation is too low or not (many say that it is, because it clearly allows for Swiss parts to be assembled in China and sold as "Swiss Made.")

To my knowledge, marking "Geneve" on the watch has no legal basis other than the fact that the company is located in Geneve. This is distinct from usage of the Geneve Seal which has strict requirements.

Anyway, hope that helps a bit. I find the whole thing fairly disingenuous, although it is a fairly clever way to purchase "Swissness" to sell into the Chinese market. It's not even clear if "Emile Chouriet" existed in any capacity in Switzerland prior to 1998. It would be interesting to obtain the incorporation documents from Montres Chouriet SA to see if it was started by the Swiss or by Citylion International Limited/affiliated parties, the owners before the sale to Fiyta.

Although I'm tempted to shout Not Another Swissasian, their Geneve address and name does show in Google Maps. The real question is how those watches qualify for what appears to be the Swiss Made label. The content threshold for using the Swiss Made brand is easily attained and not well policed as we all know. If much of the watch content comes from China then they are in good company with many other so-called swiss watch companies. I'm wondering if they use a fancied up Claro Semag movement. But since 1685!!! I think they may have set a record with that date...LOL!
    Last edited by John MS; January 28th, 2011 at 17:23.

Banned

The things is, if they'd stamped "316L case, Ronda mvt, assembled in China" I'd have been fine with it!

Hello,

Here the answers to my questions aboutthe Emile Chouriet Challenger deep: http://l.hh.de/7PjlgD

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information