Engraving on Watch
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Engraving on Watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Engraving on Watch

I am about to purchase a Cartier Tank and was thinking about taking advantage of the brand's in-house engravings.

I was going to put my initials on the back of the case.

Here's the dilemma:

I am a fifth generation name, and my initials are BEF.

Should the engraving read BEFV or BEF.V ???

Or does proper style dictate leaving my Roman numeral off completely? I'd like to incorporate it.

What do you think. Name:  Tank Solo.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  46.5 KB

Re: Engraving on Watch

BEF,V or BEF-V. I prefer the second.

I don't know anything about proper style, but if those were my initials, i wouldnt use a comma or period. I would simply put BEF V with a space.
    TheFifth likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

to inherit your father or grand fathers watch maybe is one thing -to engrave a new modern watch with no history - maybe a watch you will tire of in a short time -simply devalues it - by the way BEFV or BEF.V are both ridiculous in that the 'V' simply looks like a 'V' and not a 5

I would certainly say ix-nay on the engraving. It absolutely devalues the watch.

I have a vintage Hamilton that I had engraved about 29 years ago, I have regretted it ever since.

I also agree that the "V" is confusing and looks like nothing more than a "V" and nothing to do with a 5 (or 5th).

OkeefenokeeJoe

It's a Cartier Tank - I don't know if you've ever heard of it, but it's not exactly a "new modern watch" one tires of quickly. I'm also not too fond of your apparent approval for engraving a family heirloom. If it's meant to be passed from one generation to the next, I'm not sure why you'd essentially want to time-stamp it.
    And BEFV may very well look ridiculous, but not quite as ridiculous as BEF5, which it seems as though you're suggesting.

IMHO, the "V" looks out of place. Not a huge fan of engravings in general but if you had to have it I'd just stick with BEF.

Quote Originally Posted by watch_hor View Post
    IMHO, the "V" looks out of place. Not a huge fan of engravings in general but if you had to have it I'd just stick with BEF.
    The OP obviously is very proud of his heritage. Look at his username. I don't think he's gonna 86 the V. I wouldn't engrave one of my watches either but that's what he wants to do here. So Thefifth, do whichever looks best to you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFifth View Post
    It's a Cartier Tank - I don't know if you've ever heard of it, but it's not exactly a "new modern watch" one tires of quickly. I'm also not too fond of your apparent approval for engraving a family heirloom. If it's meant to be passed from one generation to the next, I'm not sure why you'd essentially want to time-stamp it.
    And BEFV may very well look ridiculous, but not quite as ridiculous as BEF5, which it seems as though you're suggesting.
    ok buddy ! never suggested BEF5 -in fact said it was a rubbish idea however you phrase it -you intend to buy new therefore it is a 'new modern watch ' not a vintage one - did not approve of engraving but approved of receiving a true family heirloom !
    -and yes i have heard of a Cartier Tank -i have owned three over the years -there are only so many ways to be wrong and you ticked every box- in some ways i hope you do go to Paris , buy the watch and then have this car registration number engraved on its back but somehow i think its a pipedream

I would definitely go for a stylized 5th with a smaller th on upper corner of the 5. V was never a good roman numeral on its own imho

edit: not BEF5th but BEF the 5th or Fifth spelled out in nice script

stacked maybe?
    B.E.F.
    the
    5th

B.E.F.
    the
    th or Fifth
    Last edited by SethThomas; July 23rd, 2015 at 05:01.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information