Entry level? How about EXIT level?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Entry level? How about EXIT level?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Entry level? How about EXIT level?

I find the term - entry level - vague and irrationally decided upon.
    Yet so may rely on it as if it actually means something.

So how about its non-existent counterpart?: Exit Level.
    And why should it not exist?

And since the term is used most often with regard to "high end," what would qualify as "exit level" watches for "run of the mill" grade? Seiko SARB? Steinhart?

Note: I think High End is a bit like p*rn - you can't define it, but you know it when you see it.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Banned

Re: Entry level? How about EXIT level?

entry level = for noobs only

Exit level would be the watches I still have when I shuffle off this mortal coil. Or, shuffle off to Buffalo, a distinctly brighter thought (at least there are chicken wings) ... sorry, I was distracted (I'm on a diet) ... they are the watches I will leave to my kids.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's because there needs to be a term for "my watch is too cool for noobs to buy."
    Last edited by tiger roach; June 24th, 2013 at 22:23.
    brummyjon likes this.

I think I'll take my horde with me...In ten thousand years they can uncover them and take them on tour around the galaxy...Stopping
    at all the major planets.

Entry level = Tip of the iceberg. Just barely getting into a new tier of pricing or quality. For example, any watch costing $2K or just over that amount would be (in terms of pricing at least) Entry Level luxury.

Exit level = The absolute best of a price or quality tier of a product, without entering a new tier or just barely encroaching upon a new tier. For example, the "best" Victorinox watch one can buy is going to be just barely on the cusp of touching the entry level luxury tier, without entering it. It's the best of its class, but still not even a barely acceptable luxury watch.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

Yeah, personally I don't like the term "entry level". I think it only makes sense when compared to other models by the same company, like a C class Benz is entry level, as opposed to an S class. Why I don't like the term is that I think it frequently implies "you'd buy the more expensive one, if you could only afford it". This may be the case with BMWs and MBs, but its not the case with all products. I tend to prefer "entry level" stuff, even when I can afford the pricier model, simply because I'm not a bells-and-wistles kinda guy. I prefer simple, refined quality.
    Monocrom likes this.

"Entry level" is certainly a moving target, depending on the person's finances. I'd say that "entry level" watches are defined less by the price point, but more by (a) a price-to-value ratio, (b) flexibility (as "entry level" watches usually have to be worn for dress-ish and casual-ish occasions, and generally have to go with a wide variety of colors and fashion styles) and (c) (to a lesser degree) ubiquity, by which I mean is either available many places, so people can actually see and try on their "entry level" watch before buying it, and/or contains a common movement, so that it can be worked on by a variety of watchmakers. Hamilton, Tissot, Steinhart, Orient, Seiko, ... then TAG, Omega, Rolex could all be "entry level" watches.

"Exit level" to me could either be (a) the watch you'd be buried with if you're so inclined (exiting the world), (b) your grail, but at the uppermost price you'd ever consider buying a watch (exiting the watch buying experience).

Right now, for me, I think that's the Jaquet Droz Time Zone Cotes de Geneve Stainless, or the JLC Reverso Duo GMT (if I could find it when I wanted to buy it)

- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
    Oris Big Crown Pointer Date (in red!) | Oris Artix Date | Glycine Airman DC-4 GMT | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Bernhardt Corsair GMT | Nth Naken Renegade | Hamilton Jazzmaster Square | Citizen Grand Classic | Kronaby Apex | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Samurai | Prometheus Jellyfish Yellow | Spinnaker Bradner | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" |

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolis View Post
    I find the term - entry level - vague and irrationally decided upon.
    Yet so may rely on it as if it actually means something.

So how about its non-existent counterpart?: Exit Level.
    And why should it not exist?

And since the term is used most often with regard to "high end," what would qualify as "exit level" watches for "run of the mill" grade? Seiko SARB? Steinhart?

Note: I think High End is a bit like p*rn - you can't define it, but you know it when you see it.
    I would say an "Exit Level" watch would be the acquisition of THE grail... the unobtainable... the watch that utterly quenches the desire for more watches.... The watch that was forged from elements of your very soul...

Collection:
    RGM 801A - Montblanc Twinfly Flyback Chronograph -
    Omega AquaTerra GMT - 1972 Heuer Autavia Viceroy - Ball Engineer Master II Diver World Time
    JeanRichard Terrascope - Longines Legend Diver(Date) - Luminox 6250 - Hamilton Intra-Matic(42mm) - Magrette Moana Pacific Professional - Oris XXL Pointer Day

Intagram: @dobowatches

With so many new watches out there and new ones constantly coming out each year, there's no such thing as the exit watch for most people. However, if I had to suddenly leave the whole watch thing on a high note today and leave with one watch, I would do it with a Zenith Striking Tenth.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information