Entry Level Watch Recommendation around $2000
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Entry Level Watch Recommendation around $2000

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Entry Level Watch Recommendation around $2000

First of all, thanks for all the help in advance.

My budget can be stretched depending on how much I feel for the watch with an upper bound of $5000. But I would really want to keep it under $2000 for now. This will be my first watch over $1000

• I am looking for something that is not too sporty (especially no submariner like dials)
    • Can be a dress watch with the right strap
    • Has some complication (with a preference in Day date> world time> GMT>chrono)
    • Display back is preferred
    • No open face
    • Second hand is fine
    • Brand name is important (ex. I would prefer a $1k Tag than a $1k Seiko)

These are some of the watches that I have considered:

Frederique Constant Worldtimer
    Hands-On With The Limited Edition Frederique Constant Worldtimer (Live Pics)

(used) IWC 3717
    http://www.chrono24.com/en/iwc/chron...ref-iw3717.htm

(used)Zenith Chronomaster
    Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Chronograph Chronometer... for $.6,334 for sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24

Bulova Accutron
    http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/b...%26slotId%3D31
    Last edited by demandforgreatness; October 29th, 2013 at 05:45.

Re: Entry Level Watch Recommendation around $2000

Welcome to the forum! There is a big difference in what you can buy for 3-5k and what you can buy for 2k in a new watch, especially in terms of the movement (ETA or in-house manufacture)

Your impulse to look at an El Primero is a good one, I would explore that. Try Ashford for Zenith. I would also take a look at Nomos. They offer great value in a dress watch and can be had for around 2k.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

2nd the Nomos mention, even if you have to go above $2K for one of their models . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne *anOrdain * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Fears Watch Company * Invicta * International Watch Company * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Méraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tiffany & Company

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I quite like my Tag Twin Time, which costs almost exactly $2k new:
    Name:  Tag Heuer Twin Time.JPG
Views: 1113
Size:  64.6 KB

I was in a similar position recently. Didn't want to spend more than 2k, but not a whole lot in the $2k range excited me so I ended up getting a preowned Ulysse Nardin. There's a whole lot of really good stuff in the $3k+ region, especially when you go preowned. Zenith is definitely a good brand, they'd be my top pick. Inhouse mvt, nice classic style, and used they can be in range of your budget.
    Last edited by Arcitecht; October 29th, 2013 at 06:33.

Seiko is a great brand name, but I digress.

You aren't going to do better than a Nomos I think

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    Welcome to the forum! There is a big difference in what you can buy for 3-5k and what you can buy for 2k in a new watch, especially in terms of the movement (ETA or in-house manufacture)

Your impulse to look at an El Primero is a good one, I would explore that. Try Ashford for Zenith. I would also take a look at Nomos. They offer great value in a dress watch and can be had for around 2k.
    I agree with your sentiment, but disagree with your price ranges. I think that the 2-5k range in watches is kind of a valley of adornment, where the same basic movements are adorned with logos and cases which bring up the price. Under 2k, there are some great, really top quality micro-brands like Damasko, Ball, Stowa, Longines which have well built watches based on ETA calibers. Going up from there, you get the Tag, Brietling, IWC which (although they're making "in-house" noises lately) are selling stock or slightly modified ETA movements in similar cases for double-triple the cost. Nomos is a exception to this but is practically unique in its positioning. Zenith is also kind of an exception to this, but their prices, especially for the El Primero movements are well outside the valley of adornment.

That said, I'd recommend looking at Stowa. Some of the nicest, cleanest designs and executions in their price range. Especially if you can find one used. Here's a great one Stowa Marine Chronograph, ~1450 EUR new without VAT:
    Name:  Marine_Chrono_3.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  109.5 KB
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Your 2nd and 3rd requirements are conflicting with each other. Which one of them is more important to you?
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

You aren't going to do better than a Nomos I think
    The off-center PR on that watch drives me insane.

But, yes, I'll just parrot that Nomos is awesome. And of course so is Seiko, although does Seiko have much in the $2k area anyway? Seems like the really awesome GS pieces are all above that.

I just need to buy a damned Snowflake and be done with it. Part of me thinks I'm resisting just for the sake of having something to dream about.
    Last edited by Likestheshiny; October 29th, 2013 at 08:53.
    CitizenM and drhr like this.

Hmm I think this one is around $2000:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information